Thoughts on selling a house w/o a realtor?

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
It is not really their fault I guess.

Yes, it is personal. When they consistently come in to a nearly completed project and make retarded electrical and low voltage suggestions, then throw around prices for said suggestions without knowing anything they’re talking about it annoys me severely.

If I had no other applicable skills other than opening a lockbox, driving around a Range Rover and completely bullshitting people I would be forced to become one.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

May I offer a suggestion - learn how to tell people to go **** themselves in a manner that makes them look forward to the trip.

For example:

I'll get right on it, boss!

It's a good thing you noticed that. My xx years of experience is worthless compared to your keen observation!!

I promise you more than half of those clowns driving the Range Rovers and BMWs are one missed payment away from repossession and foreclosure.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
May I offer a suggestion - learn how to tell people to go **** themselves in a manner that makes them look forward to the trip.

For example:

It's a good thing you noticed that. My xx years of experience is worthless compared to your keen observation!!

I promise you more than half of those clowns driving the Range Rovers and BMWs are one missed payment away from repossession and foreclosure.
Agree. Look out for those show boat realtors. Thats red flag 1.

As for me I drive a 20 year old jeep TJ with 267,000 miles. Haven't had a car payment in 10 years.

Sent from my S20 Plus

coposrv

Established Member

For example:

I’m the king of sarcasm. Trust me. The problem is It usually happens when we’re not there.

It’s usually one of the idiots saying “the electrician should add in a lighting control system, I’ve seen them installed for a few hundred dollars”.

Then I have to answer emails and back and forth phone calls from PMs about why It costs 20 grand (not hundreds) to snake in, re-wire and program a radio ra or grafik eye system after the ****ing house is built and ready to turn over. These decisions should be made pre-bid and I suggest that up-sell ALWAYS.

And a few hundred is what I charge to program it. Not even close to cost of rough wiring and material. They constantly cause me headaches. Constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Outlaw has nailed this. Sure, you can sell it yourself, but do you want the hassle. Some situations you may find don't require a realtor, but most times I would suggest to use one.

It's kind of like rebuilding an engine. Sure you can do it, but do you have the time, knowledge and tools to do so. Do you know what the journals should be mic'ed at. What kind of cut on your valves etc. If you really want the experience, dive right in. However, like anything else, you're going to pay someone to make sure it's right.

Not all agents do a good job. They got into it thinking, just like many on this thread have said, it will be easy money. Don't have to work hard and the money comes rolling in. The good agents are busy ALL. THE. TIME. They look out for their clients, do a lot of behind the scenes work and will maximize your dollar.

If you need a realtor, interview a few. After 2 or 3 agents you'll get an idea who's full of shit. Ask others who they liked, and more importantly why. Good luck to the OP.

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
Outlaw has nailed this. Sure, you can sell it yourself, but do you want the hassle. Some situations you may find don't require a realtor, but most times I would suggest to use one.

It's kind of like rebuilding an engine. Sure you can do it, but do you have the time, knowledge and tools to do so. Do you know what the journals should be mic'ed at. What kind of cut on your valves etc. If you really want the experience, dive right in. However, like anything else, you're going to pay someone to make sure it's right.

Not all agents do a good job. They got into it thinking, just like many on this thread have said, it will be easy money. Don't have to work hard and the money comes rolling in. The good agents are busy ALL. THE. TIME. They look out for their clients, do a lot of behind the scenes work and will maximize your dollar.

If you need a realtor, interview a few. After 2 or 3 agents you'll get an idea who's full of shit. Ask others who they liked, and more importantly why. Good luck to the OP.

I don't want the hassle, but when I get ready to sell the home I'm in now, the commission is going to be $40-50k. That is a lot of money to shell our for not wanting the hassle for a month or two. That is what I was trying to say earlier in this thread. With average home prices hitting 4-500k in many high demand parts of the country, the 6% commission is going to start causing sticker shock to many people. Most real estate agents should kick the photographers they use in the balls. I don't believe that most agents in my area actually shell out the money for a real photographer.

My homes are completely updated and remodeled when I sell it. The house sells itself. The longest I have ever had a house sit on the market is for a month and that is because the first offer, which I received on the first day of listing, fell through.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I knew a family up here that was moving to Texas. The father told me he was going to sell the house himself. The market was hot, especially in this neighborhood (my old neighborhood). If a house in this neighborhood was on the market for a week, that was a long time. He listed for $825k, pretty typical for the area. It took over 4 months and several price drops before it sold. They had moved and were carrying 2 mortgages. They got desperate. Can't help but wonder if they had used an agent if it would have sold quicker. There are other aspects to this story, but this should suffice for now. In the end, it was probably a wash on money saved.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't want the hassle, but when I get ready to sell the home I'm in now, the commission is going to be $40-50k. That is a lot of money to shell our for not wanting the hassle for a month or two. That is what I was trying to say earlier in this thread. With average home prices hitting 4-500k in many high demand parts of the country, the 6% commission is going to start causing sticker shock to many people. Most real estate agents should kick the photographers they use in the balls. I don't believe that most agents in my area actually shell out the money for a real photographer.

My homes are completely updated and remodeled when I sell it. The house sells itself. The longest I have ever had a house sit on the market is for a month and that is because the first offer, which I received on the first day of listing, fell through.

That's why it's good to interview and find other listings by that agent.

It's amazing what gets passed off as realtors and who they use for pictures at time. Terrible lighting, bad angles, seeing a flash in the mirror when they take a pic in the bathroom etc. Pictures of crappy staged houses or no staging at all. Like you can tell the people have 2 kids and a kidnado hit the house.
Then the listings have tons of misspellings or incorrect data on the house like SF, lot size, HOA fees etc or they type like they are having a stroke and IN ALL CAPITALS. The other listings we would see in our neighborhood made us wonder if the realtors were teenagers.

But, finding a good one can make a huge difference in presenting your house on MLS and other user based home searching sites.
The photographer ours used did a very good job of taking pics with lighting without overdoing it. Staging of the house too is key. Ours was very active with us, came over a handful of times to talk with us over any concerns and IMO did a good job with the tight timelines the buyers had. Our realtor didn't do open houses which we liked, as our neighbors realtor did them a lot and it was pretty much a bunch of dreamers walking through your house. Ours also made sure any showing were with people preapproved for the size of the loan to purchase our house.

But my market was getting flooded with new builds and resales at that time. 6 months later my house size/model tanked in that neighborhood. If we missed out on that buyer, then I doubt we would of sold as the average price for our house dropped 20-30k.

Maybe your area is still hot/your house is more desirable. That decision is purely up to you and your set of variables that weren't present with us.

You can haggle over a % if need be. My wifes parents house sold for 820k and they agreed to a 5% fee, where the seller took 2.25% and the buyers agent took 2.75%.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
i sold two houses... the first home was in 2009 right after the housing crash, and it took me two days.. for that one i made two signs, one For Sale sign with the address and placed it at the front of the neighborhood and the other in front my house with my phone number..

the second home we sold in 2017, we made a For Sale sign from Vista Print and also a listing on Zillow.. It took three weeks to get a contract.. the buyer brought an agent so i told them i was only paying 2.5% commission take it or leave it.

before showing the house you should request a prequalification letter from the buyer that way you know if they are wasting your time.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
When we sold our first home I was glad we had a realtor.

She worked for 2%, and buyers realtor for the standard 3%. (House only sold for 105 so the money wasn’t a big issue)

What was a pain though was the first offer falling through 3 weeks after we had agreed on a selling price, then having to tell the agent who was listing our next home that we couldn’t buy until ours sold.

The owners threw a fit, were already pissed that their appraisal came in at our first offer, which was 10,000 less than we had agreed on (sucks for them)

By the end all we had to do was sign papers while our realtor had to talk to two other parties, one of whom was not pleasant

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
my condo sold itself, my agent didn't do anything but list it and write up paperwork.
But she was very transparent, down to earth and easy to talk to and deal with so sometimes you get lucky.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
In this market (pre-Stupidity closing the World's economy over the damn flu)...anything that sells within 14 days, is priced TOO low.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Did any of you read his thread?

He can't bring a realtor in to sell his house right now because of Covid rules so it's sell himself or wait.

OP, my brother's house was bought after one showing. Just make sure you photoshop all the pictures and use a wide-angle lens on every room shot, just like all those "professionals" do.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Actually, we are using Virtual tours right now. Although, the ban was lifted here for real estate. But, up until this week, we were doing virtual tour videos and got several under contract.

1SHELBY

Established Member
I sold my last 2 houses and in-laws house on my own. Just hire title company to do closing at 1 k. Another 500 on advertising.. Get a professional looking sign from your local sign guy like me. Split the 35500 with buyer and yourself and put a bunch of cash in your pocket that does not go the the bottom feeding realtor. Do it!

nxhappy

Established Member
I sold my last 2 houses and in-laws house on my own. Just hire title company to do closing at 1 k. Another 500 on advertising.. Get a professional looking sign from your local sign guy like me. Split the 35500 with buyer and yourself and put a bunch of cash in your pocket that does not go the the bottom feeding realtor. Do it!
just that simple huh? just a simple sign ?

LMFAO ....

Users who are viewing this thread