Thoughts on necessity of CC plates with my setup

herdfan75

Established Member
Hi folks, still fairly new to the Cobra scene (96 Cobra convertible) as I've only really had classic Mustangs that needed worked on.

Right now, my car is bone stock except 10.5 17" wheels on the rear, and chrome Cobra rims all the way around. My front tires are too narrow for the rims, so I'm going to move up to a 275/40/17 (my tires are shot and need replaced anyway). The car still has stock springs, Koni struts up front, and regular OEM shocks from Napa on the rear. The car is almost a daily driver, and remember, I am in WV, so the roads here are horrible. So here's my plan...and tell me where I may be off track:

While I'd love to have the look of the Eibach sportlines, I don't think I can handle them on the roads here. So, I plan to lower the car with an Eibach pro kit. Hopefully that will help get rid of the 4x4 look...anything than what I have now is better than nothing I suppose. While I'm at it, I'd like to replace the rear shocks with something better (suggestions?) I don't really need adjustable rear shocks, unless they are far superior. Remember this is a daily driver, and with the miles on it I don't push it too hard. I just want it dropped a bit, and to handle better. So with this setup, is it necessary to install caster camber plates? I'd rather put the money into a bump steer kit (again, suggestions?) and a MGW shifter. But I want to do it right...the shifter can wait if necessary. Plus I need to replace the tires.

The car seems to be in alignment pretty well, so I'm hoping to replace the tires next week and drive it minimally until I can get the springs and bump steer kit installed, then I'll have an alignment done.

Thoughts, suggestions, criticism welcome. Thx!

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
CC Plates are pretty much required on the cars stock.

American Muscles SR plates are very nice looking and are only $140.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

herdfan75

Established Member
Is that right? So they really make a big difference huh? I don't mind spending the money; just don't want to overkill a daily driven, non-competition car.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Is that right? So they really make a big difference huh? I don't mind spending the money; just don't want to overkill a daily driven, non-competition car.

If it drives alright it drives alright. However they cars have very minimal factory adjustment. Basic lowering spring, removing the isolators or even just age is enough to knock it off beyond the factory's ability to get a proper alignment.

herdfan75

Established Member
If it drives alright it drives alright. However they cars have very minimal factory adjustment. Basic lowering spring, removing the isolators or even just age is enough to knock it off beyond the factory's ability to get a proper alignment.

Ok, that certainly makes sense. Guess I might as well add them while I have it torn apart anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread