Thoughts on Michelin Super Sport/Pilot Sport

svink32

Established Member
Hi guys- so I just pulled my 2011 Shelby (all stock) out of storage and I’ve been pricing new tires with my local contact. Apparently there is a rubber shortage, and the stock OEM size tires aren’t super common, so my guy is having trouble finding what I want. My top two options are the Nitto 555R and the Toyo 888R. He cannot find either in the stock size 265/40/19 fronts and 285/35/20 rears

He did price me for some Michelin Pilot Super Sports (fronts, $311 each) and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (rears, $370 each)

Anyone have an opinion on these tires? I don’t drive the car a whole lot, but when I do I want to be able to enjoy it WOT, so I would like some drag radials only.

Any other recommendations would be awesome- thanks!

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Michelins are awesome, but they are not on the same level as the Toyo. I have the Toyo's now since I don't drive much either. They hook and handle awesome, though I am probably at only 500 or so whp.

svink32

Established Member
I really want the Toyo’s but he can’t locate them apparently?

Any thoughts on the Nitto 555 G2’s? Seems like a decently priced option but he cannot get them for 2 weeks :/

svink32

Established Member
Michelins are awesome, but they are not on the same level as the Toyo. I have the Toyo's now since I don't drive much either. They hook and handle awesome, though I am probably at only 500 or so whp.

Are you running the proxes r888r ?

Norm Peterson

Established Member

Any thoughts on the Nitto 555 G2’s? Seems like a decently priced option but he cannot get them for 2 weeks :/
Impression I get is that the pilot Super Sports are slightly better than anything in Nitto's 'Passenger tire' category even for the straight line stuff. Way better in the wet, if that's any consideration. In Nittos, you really need to be looking at the tires listed under the 'Competition' tab.

Nitto Tire | Fueled by Enthusiasts

Norm

robvas

Established Member

I could spin the G2’s into third, just got some NT05R’s and they only spin a little in second. Huge improvement and I wouldn’t get then G2’s if you have anything over 400hp

svink32

Established Member
Impression I get is that the pilot Super Sports are slightly better than anything in Nitto's 'Passenger tire' category even for the straight line stuff. Way better in the wet, if that's any consideration. In Nittos, you really need to be looking at the tires listed under the 'Competition' tab.

Nitto Tire | Fueled by Enthusiasts

Norm

Thank you for that link! It lists the Invo/NT05/Motivo/G2's as options.

The Invo and Motivo only show 295/30r20 as available size

The NT05 only shows 305/30r20

and the G2's are available in 3 sizes.

svink32

Established Member
I could spin the G2’s into third, just got some NT05R’s and they only spin a little in second. Huge improvement and I wouldn’t get then G2’s if you have anything over 400hp

Unfortunately I think the NT05's only come in the 305/30r20 size, and I don't think that will fit a stock rim?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome, thanks Rb- what are you running on the fronts, did you just go ahead and match all 4 or did you go with something else?
I have them on all fours. 285's in front and 305's in rear. On 10" and 11" tires.

svink32

Established Member
What wheels? Stock?
Definitely go Nitto 555RIIs.
NT555RII | Nitto Tire
I’d pair them with regular 555G2s up front.
Might need to find another tire guy.
Walmart has the 295/35/20:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nitto-NT...698125440?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0
good luck
-J

See that’s the setup I prefer! Yes, stock wheels, 19’s in front and 20’s in back. Will 295/35/20 fit on the stock 9.5” rears? I’d guess yes based on my research but want to be sure...looks like they only only 285/30/20 and 295/35/20 listed as options.

That link to Walmart is only showing 305’s, when I tried the tire size filter it said they didn’t have those 295’s...I haven’t had any luck finding them anywhere!

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

Established Member
You can get 295/35 tires mounted on 9.5" wide wheels, but it's not recommended. 295/35 tires really should be on wheels that are at least 10" wide (better yet, on 10.5" which is the "measuring width" for that size).

Norm

Users who are viewing this thread