Thoughts on buying a Mach 1 in today’s market

kpmilia

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I’m reaching out for some opinions on the current Mustang market and which way to go. I’m looking to buy about a year from now and have been looking at the market for the past few months. I’ve owned an 03 2V and an 05 3V in the past and look forward to another one soon. Ideally, I would purchase a terminator and be done with it. But I just can’t justify the money they are going for. I’d like a car with less than 50k on it, and terminators with mileage that low seem to be 22 thousand and up. I do love the idea of getting into a 13 boss or an 11-12 gt500, but spending 30 grand is the absolute top of the budget and that doesn’t include mods. 13-18 Gts seem to be a good option, but they are north of 20k as well for a nice one. Looking at Mach 1s, it seems like you can get a decent one for under 15k. Would you guys consider buying a mach 1 and using the extra money for a blower setup and bolt ons or spend more for a car mentioned above?

kpmilia

Established Member
Why do you say that? I would plan on boosting the Mach 1. I understand the shortblock meets its limits around 450 rwhp, but would only need pistons and rods on a manual car correct?

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Yeah 450 ISH lol. 5 speed Machs have a forged 8 bolt crank. So yes, get some factory Terminator pistons and rods and have at it! Then the block becomes the weak point after that. 700 RWHP is the ceiling on a WAP block in my opinion. That's where I'd stop.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Forged pistons and rods and youll be good to go! Or just boost the thing and run it with a stock engine until youre ready to go past the limits of it.

Ive been running my 2002 GT at 450whp for about 2-3 years now and have had 0 problems with it. I was at 400whp for about 4 years prior to that. Stock 2v everything. 450whp is plenty of power for the street.

Ive got an 01 Cobra thats going to be up for sale soon. 36k miles and a new forged engine with a tubular K member. It just needs a turbo or two...

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yeah really if you plan too boost it you need to upgrade the rods and pistons. But at that point you would to work the heads too since there off and known to have bad valve seals. By the time your all said and done you could of bought a terminator. I just think your plan is flawed for wanting a boosted car but starting with a Non boost car.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
I bought my 04 auto Mach 4 years ago for $12,700. Bone stock, mint condition, 51,000 mile. Plan was to put a converter, valve body, and transfer the Vortech S trim from my GT to the Mach. 2 years ago on 93 octane and 12psi it made 452rwhp. This past summer I upgraded the fuel system and had the car retuned on 93 and then E85. It made 460 on 93 with 11.25* of timing and 11.3psi. On E85 with just the addition of 2.5* it made 508. I maxed out the 60lb injectors. Two years ago it ran 11.37 at full weight. Planning to put it in the 10.90's on the E85 tune this summer. Stock motor, trans, and rear end. If it survives this summer I will be swapping in ID 1050x injectors and pushing it to 550+rwhp on E85. I do have a low mileage 04 cobra shortblock laying around for when it's time or when I decide to build the motor, but I will not be using the cobra pistons. With the 8.5 compression pistons the motors just don't make any power on low boost. I'll be going with 10.8 or 11.17 compression pistons.

FYI, used complete centri blower setups can be had for $2500-$3000 and will easily put you at 450rwhp. Just need to have a good tuner.

As far as the whole 5spd forged crank vs auto cast crank debate, you shouldn't be worrying about needing a forged crank unless you're planning on making over 700rwhp or revving higher than 7k rpm. The factory rods/pistons will fail way before a cast crank.

I've got about $7500 in parts in mine which includes the used intercooled blower setup, frame connectors, control arms, midpipe, ds safety look, converter, valve body, tranny cooler, line lock, gauges, Fore fuel hat/pump assembly, bap, - 8 fuel line, injectors, hpx maf. So the car plus parts is right at $20k.

If both cars are purchased pretty much stock, at 500rwhp, you need to make a big change to either car. The stock Termi blower is done so you have to upgrade, but you do have the forged bottom end. At 500rwhp the Mach 1 engine is at its limits, and you have to build the motor by atleast tossing rods and pistons in it. The money you save on buying a Mach 1 vs a Termi you can buy a bigger blower for it so you can run it on the stock motor and then later when you build. Either way, the comparison between the two is pretty much a wash. Now I'm sure you can find an already modded Termi with a bigger blower on it for $20k or less. Buying an already built/ modded car will be cheaper than doing it yourself.

Last edited:

VLONE

Established Member
In my personal opinion the Mach is a great buy right now if you're looking for a fun summer car to throw some bolt on's at and make a fun amount of power. If you're looking for big power and bigger mods it is a better idea to save up and buy a Terminator or newer 5.0 just due to the stock power and power potential that they have. The Terminators just have so much stock that you wish for in a Mach when going big power. Not only do you have the forged bottom end, you get a T56 and IRS. I've definitely been having a blast with my Mach and I've owned it for under a year. I'm planning on just doing a couple more bolt ons like headers and then getting the suspension built so that it handles great. After that I'll probably keep it like that for the next year or two and instead of building it I'll either move on to a Terminator or newer 5.0. Hope this helps!

kpmilia

Established Member
Thank you for the feedback guys. While I agree, the 5.0 or terminator is the way to go for bigger power, I feel like the price point of a mach 1 is very intriguing. Parts seem to be cheaper on a mach than the new 5.0s. I would be financing some of the car, so if I could get into something fun at a decent price and pay it off quickly, it may be for the best.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

VLONE

Established Member
Thank you for the feedback guys. While I agree, the 5.0 or terminator is the way to go for bigger power, I feel like the price point of a mach 1 is very intriguing. Parts seem to be cheaper on a mach than the new 5.0s. I would be financing some of the car, so if I could get into something fun at a decent price and pay it off quickly, it may be for the best.
Makes sense budget wise man, you'll still have a great time in a Mach!

kpmilia

Established Member
I agree, the 15-17 Gt’s seem like one of the best values on the market currently. When I was glancing at blower set ups, it looks like for a full kit they start at 7-8 grand?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
You can buy a 3V dirt cheap and slap a DOB blower kit on with money to spare. You could even forge the motor and still come under budget.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree, the 15-17 Gt’s seem like one of the best values on the market currently. When I was glancing at blower set ups, it looks like for a full kit they start at 7-8 grand?

A vortech/paxton set up would run you around $55-5800 and net about 650whp... maybe slightly more.

A whipple or VMP set up would be around $8k, yes.

If youre a DIY type of person, you can duplicate my twin turbo build for under $6k all in. My car has trapped 139 in the 1/4 on 7-8psi boost.. should be good for about 145mph with a better 1/8 effort and 10psi.

Fordman1994

Established Member
I bought an 01 cobra a few months ago for 9k. Has 77k miles. It's got a t56 and it has the teksid block. I'd like to eventually boost it and have the shortblock rebuilt. I like the sn95's and fox body mustangs.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They are fun to drive N/A. As I read this thread again it occurred to me that I haven't seen a Mach on the streets in my neck of the woods for a couple of years now. Not a one.

Users who are viewing this thread