Those with prochargers have a ? regarding bypass valve

Cobie03

Established Member
I have a P1sc with the stock bypass valve and was wondering how do you vent the bypass valve to the atmosphere? Also are there any benefits to doing this and will the car have to be retuned. Thanks in advance. :beer:

blownstang01

Established Member
Unless your running a blow-through MAF or a speed density system, you cannot vent to atmosphere because the air was already measured by the MAF.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
You can run it to the air. I have been for a while now with no ill effects.

I don't think there is any real tangible gain from it. I did it because I suspected it was causing my surge issues.

I can say either way it makes no difference other then the noise level.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
blownstang01 said:
Unless your running a blow-through MAF or a speed density system, you cannot vent to atmosphere because the air was already measured by the MAF.

not true, the blow off vents before the MAF on prochargers. They're both on the charge pipe but there's nothing between the MAF and the throttle body.

blownstang01

Established Member
SVTHorsnake said:
not true, the blow off vents before the MAF on prochargers. They're both on the charge pipe but there's nothing between the MAF and the throttle body.

Not true, I do not know what type of Procharger you are refering to, but the Maf on a Standard type kit is in the fenderwell before the bypass. The Bypass is in the charge pipe and vents to the inlet, but all happens after the maf. Therefore any vented pressure is re-introduced to the blower but after the MAF has registered it. Unless of course your refering to a blow-through MAF and if that's the case re-read my original answer.

lasercobra: yes you technically can vent it to atomosphere and not really notice a difference but I can tell you if you were to look at your fuel trims you will see one confused little PCM. Your Adaptive learning has made up for the lost pressure, but sometimes your running it hard and venting alot and other times not venting at all. You will not be able to get a consistant running program venting the MAF this way. Think of it this way, it's almost like a large vacuum leak but it comes and goes and is never constant.
Mike

Last edited:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
OK to clear things up....normal s/c applications locate the MAF inthe fenderwell before the blower. This is a suck through MAF. Your BOV will be between the blower and your TB. With this setup you will vent the BOV back into your piping before the blower but after the MAF. That way the "sampled" air stays inside the intake. If you vent this setup you will have issued with air/fuel and your car will not run right.

On alot of procharger setups people run a blow through MAF. With this setup the only thing before the blower is a short pipe and the airfilter. After the blower the tubing goes into the intercooler, then out of the cooler and into the maf. It then goes into the TB. Your BOV on this setup is located between your blower and your intercooler BEFORE THE MAF. This way any boost that you vent into the atmosphere has not been sampled by the MAF. They call this a blow through MAF cause you are blowing boost through it.

Hope this solves the arguments in the thread. And yes you can blow off into the atmosphere as long as you run setup #2. And your car will need to be retuned. Blow throughs are real extreme on their readings and your current tune will be way too lean after converting.

Wicked

Established Member
Why is it that this always confuses people so.

I have had mine vented for about 2 years with no problems. On a procharger setup(blow thru), with the MAF after the intercooler, venting to atmosphere will not affect tune or performance. It's possible that it could prevent surging of boost by reducing the amount of restriction after the bypass valve.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Wicked said:

I have had mine vented for about 2 years with no problems. On a procharger setup(blow thru), with the MAF after the intercooler, venting to atmosphere will not affect tune or performance. It's possible that it could prevent surging of boost by reducing the amount of restriction after the bypass valve.

agreed

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Wicked said:

Yeah- I was hoping it would fix my surge issue around 2k RPM. No luck :bash:

Stupid tune... :poke:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Wicked said:

didnt I just say that pretty much? :shrug: :thumbsup:

blownstang01

Established Member
blownstang01 said:

OK, everyone please SLOWLY re-read my original answer to Cobie03's post. YES you can vent to atmosphere on a blow-thru. You guys have jumped in to argue when your all saying the same thing ! If you do not understand the difference in a blow thru, and a draw thru MAF, do not argue the point :poke:

Last edited:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
blownstang01 said:
OK, everyone please SLOWLY re-read my original answer to Cobie03's post. YES you can vent to atmosphere on a blow-thru. You guys have jumped in to argue when your all saying the same thing ! If you do not understand the difference in a blow thru, and a draw thru MAF, do not argue the point :poke:

my comment was to back up your comment, and to try and explain the differences at the same time

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
We're All Freakn' Out Here- Man!!!

Everyone Stop Freakn' Out- Man!!!

Man---- Freakn' Out!!!!!!!!

:D

Last edited:

blownstang01

Established Member
lasercobra said:
We're All Freakn' Out Here- Man!!!

Everyone Stop Freakn' Out- Man!!!

Man---- Freakn' Out!!!!!!!!

:d

You very, very, funny man. :pepper:

Last edited:

blownstang01

Established Member
VenomousSVT said:
my comment was to back up your comment, and to try and explain the differences at the same time

Yeah, I know, hence the :poke: I just got a kick out of all the posts saying the same thing only different :thumbsup:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
:lol: hahaha
well since we are basically repeating ourselves....
your blowoff valve can be vented into the atmosphere but only with a blow through MAF setup.

Users who are viewing this thread