Those who have painted their calipers, come on in!

Cobrakai04

Established Member
Just a quick question for those who have painted their calipers. I was looking at both the brush on and spray kit. Which one do you prefer? How did you paint them without covering the Cobra letters on the outside of the caliper? anyone have pics? Tips?

Thanks!

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Mine came painted but I have painted emblems and such,,.., just tape the letters off and use a razor to get excess tape off and spray or brush :thumbsup: just take your time, the prep is the most important part :-D

64comet

Established Member
Spray paint is the easiest. As far as the letters, paint the calipers and then take some sandpaper and clean off the letters. real easy, just start out with fairly course and finish up with real fine

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
I used the brush kit on my 06, I don't know if I would like the spray honestly.

IMO it would be hard to direct the spray and get in those little spots.:shrug:

wlg101190

Established Member
I put some Vaseline on my letters, and painted with the spray paint. Next, I used a Q-Tip to take off the excess paint / Vaseline and it came off fine! :thumbsup:

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
I did mine and they look good, (brush on) was a snap, went back a few days later with a fine tip brush and painted the Cobra letters. and it really stands out (black calipers with white lettering)

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
I just did the brush and it could not have been easier. I would guess the spray would be mroe difficult to prevent the paint from getting in places you dont want it to go.

I just painted the whole thing and then used a razor blade and 120 & 60 grit on the letters.

svtrookie

Established Member
I used the spray can and they turned out great. I used steel wool and brake clean to make them smooth. . found a clean place to paint and went to town. No regrets.

03dsgsnake

Established Member
Just a quick question for those who have painted their calipers. I was looking at both the brush on and spray kit. Which one do you prefer? How did you paint them without covering the Cobra letters on the outside of the caliper? anyone have pics? Tips?

Thanks!
First sand lightly to get all grease or brake dust etc, then put some bearing grease lightly over letters, spray whole caliper twice 15 min between coats, when dry razor off letters and your done!!!!!!!!!!:banana:
0000029r.jpg
[/IMG]

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Go to Walmart and get Dupli-Color Ford Red High Temp Ceramic engine paint and apply it with a small model brush, spray the paint on a piece of cardboard! It worked great for mine! Over a year with no chipping or peeling!

GodStang

Established Member
Get a stick of chapstick. Sharpen it. Draw over the letters. Paint. Let dry. Wipe paint off letters.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Sprayed mine a couple of years ago and they've held up pretty well. Taking the wheels off to swap the Prostars has led to a few nicks, I might repaint them when it cools off.

EBCOBRA

Fender Roller
Established Member

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I used the G2 paint-on kit and then sanded off the C O B R A letters...

2290821CobraRotors1.jpg

:beer:

flaseadude - have you had any issues painting so far down those cylinders? i kind of stopped at the edge because i was afraid it might clog something (but it doesn't look as good)

IMG_2955.JPG

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
imo you guys make this way to much of a big deal...

best way is to just paint over the whole thing... once its dried take a razor blade, have it at a perfectly flat edge on the lettering and scrape the paint off. it is the easiest way to do it... and it only takes 10 seconds.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
What about the rear calipers and the mounting brackets? Those iron parts all end up looking real nasty!

Users who are viewing this thread