Those that have purchased or know about Extended Warranties...

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
We are looking at getting a 2012 Explorer Limited with 32k miles. Because of the high mileage, the fact we will be the second "owner" and it is so close to being out of factory warranty, we are considering buying an extended warranty. It will last for an additional 48 months or 54000 miles. It adds an additional $44 to the monthly payment, and it includes gap insurance. It also includes towing, rental, roadside assistance, and a trip interruption provision.

Because of the circumstance, excellent interest rate, and price on the car, I am really only looking to get opinions on people's experiences with extended warranties.

Are they reliable? Are they worth it? Anything I need to know or look out for?

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
If the warranty comes from Ford, I would say go ahead. Aftermarket warranties do their best to find a reason not to pay. We have had several customers with aftermarket warranties that had to get a court date before the companies paid off. (They always pay off two days before court date) I am sure there are legit companies, but I have yet to see one.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
do NOT buy the warranty from your dealer. Go to ziegler ford and buy one from them. Lowest price going and you can get a lot longer than 48 months and 54000 miles.

you buy it from the dealer and you are going to get ****ed with an oversized dildo with no lube.

We are looking at getting a 2012 Explorer Limited with 32k miles. Because of the high mileage, the fact we will be the second "owner" and it is so close to being out of factory warranty, we are considering buying an extended warranty. It will last for an additional 48 months or 54000 miles. It adds an additional $44 to the monthly payment, and it includes gap insurance. It also includes towing, rental, roadside assistance, and a trip interruption provision.

Because of the circumstance, excellent interest rate, and price on the car, I am really only looking to get opinions on people's experiences with extended warranties.

Are they reliable? Are they worth it? Anything I need to know or look out for?

jcthorne

Established Member
Ford ESP or nothing. DO NOT purchase an aftermarket service contract. Not worth the paper they are written on.

Many dealers will match the online pricing of the ESP if you show them the offer. Better to make a small profit than none.

The ESP plans offer many options the aftermarket does not. First day rental is one we really like for the surprisingly small increase in price.

MysticRob

Established Member
I agree with all the above posts. For anyone looking into extended warranties you need to know that 3rd party warranties are usually crap, and they often allow used parts to be installed during repairs. Always go with a manufacturer warranty.

Also, understand that just like shopping for cars, you can shop around for factory warranties -- there is no set price, and some providers offer better deals than others.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
do NOT buy the warranty from your dealer. Go to ziegler ford and buy one from them. Lowest price going and you can get a lot longer than 48 months and 54000 miles.

you buy it from the dealer and you are going to get ****ed with an oversized dildo with no lube.

Ford ESP or nothing. DO NOT purchase an aftermarket service contract. Not worth the paper they are written on.

Many dealers will match the online pricing of the ESP if you show them the offer. Better to make a small profit than none.

The ESP plans offer many options the aftermarket does not. First day rental is one we really like for the surprisingly small increase in price.

Both these guys speak the truth!!!! Get a Ford ESP warranty from a different source than the selling dealership.

U.M.

LS2GTO

Established Member
First car I had in HS my dad wanted to get an extended warranty but got it through some random company. The few times that I tried using it I only got more problems with the rep not wanting to cover certain repairs or using odd replacement parts (usually refurbed).

When I bought my GTO, I got an extended warranty but from GM direcetly through their GM Protection Plan. I've used that warranty numerous times and it was always a breeze, never questioned (albeit it wasn't major problems like needing a new engine) and always got brand new AC Delco replacement parts.

So if you do get one, always get it through the manufacturer. That way you know who you are dealing with and what sort of parts you get. And you can go to any manufacturer dealership to do the repairs.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
Wow, you guys are basically reaffiriming everything Inhave heard in the past. So, basically we should get a Ford Extended Service Plan? I am hearing that you can shop that against different places. Where do you buy that if you are not supposed to buy it at the dealership.

Also, we are getting this from a dealership but not a Ford dealership. I am guessing that doesn't matter but I figured I'd mention it.

Finally, if I am buying an ESP after we finance the Explorer, do they require you to pay it all at once? Thanks for the help!!

Bad Chariot

Established Member
I am a fan of extended B2B warranties. I bought a 2yr old Subaru Legacy with 21400 miles on it back in 2009. I got a 7yr 100k b2b for an extra $700.00. Knowing how expensive Japanese cars are to fix I felt 1 repair and it would pay for itself. Last May during an oil change they noticed my front struts were leaking bad. Called my dealer and they were covered. A $600 job cost me a $100 deductible. So I have recouped $500 so far and I still have a ways to go.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I will make a couple of points for you to consider:

1. With a Ford ESP you don't have to do any of the paperwork, or deal with anyone other than the guy fixing the car. With a third party ESP you have to do the paperwork and if the dealer you are working with does not accept the particular plan you have you are screwed. Also a lot of them require you to pay the cost up front and then they reimburse you what their schedule says the job is worth.

2. When I bought my focus in 2011 I looked at probably a hundred different plans and dealerships. Zeigler was by far the cheapest and the best coverage. so do your research but I can pretty much guarantee you that you will go with them when you are done. Unless you like spending unnecessary money. Zeigler is a Ford warranty and he can sell them as cheap as he does because of the volume of policies he sells.

Wow, you guys are basically reaffiriming everything Inhave heard in the past. So, basically we should get a Ford Extended Service Plan? I am hearing that you can shop that against different places. Where do you buy that if you are not supposed to buy it at the dealership.

Also, we are getting this from a dealership but not a Ford dealership. I am guessing that doesn't matter but I figured I'd mention it.

Finally, if I am buying an ESP after we finance the Explorer, do they require you to pay it all at once? Thanks for the help!!

oldmodman

Established Member
I got the 75,000 mile ESP for my Ford Explorer.

Sure as hell paid for itself. Free new transmission. Free rear diff. Free AC compressor. Free new drivers seat. Free coil pack. Must have saved 5K.
Warranty cost $475.00
But remember that it was back in 1992.

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
Not all third party warrenties are junk.

I purchased my TBSS in 2009 as the third owner, being that it is an 2006 it was not included in GM's 5 year 100k mile powertrain warrenty. I decided to purchase the extended option they offered. It is good for 4 years/60k miles.

8 months ago I spun a rod bearing, I took it to the local GM dealership. The dealership contacted the extended warranty company in which I was told to bring in records of the last three oil changes. The whole proccess was a little stressful, and yes I had to fight a little bit, but in the end my motor was replaced with a GMPP LS2 that comes with a 5yr 100k mile warranty itself

With out the extended warranty I would have paid $8,600 out of pocket.
With the extended warranty I only paid $650 out of pocket.

KurtDog

Established Member
I had a 3rd party warranty on my 03 cobra. It cost around 2K for 36K miles after the oem ran out. Ended up saving me about 10K. They covered a new motor, water pump, cluster guage and some other part that I can't think of. There was no hassle on any of it. They just came out to take some pictures of the fried cylinders.

The only advice I would suggest is figure out exactly how much the $44/month comes out too and shop it around.

slidai

Established Member
I've got a 125k mile, 7 year, $50 deductible, bumper to bumper (like factory warranty) on my new 13 and I only paid $1,750 for it. I had one on my old 06 and it saved me a bunch of money. Took it in for numerous things and it was never questioned. Even got some things repaired that were not broken. I've never had a problem with Fidelity. I'm sure there are crappy companies out there so I'd say do your research.

Poppacapp

Established Member
They also ream you on warranty profits. Example, I had a 10' Lexus RX450h with extended warranty I purchased when I bought it new. I believe I paid $3300 for the warranty. When I traded the RX in, I got a refund for the unused portion of the warranty, and when signing the paperwork for it, I saw the dealer cost on the warranty. $1680.00. HUGE profit centers for dealers.

Users who are viewing this thread