• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

Those plastic covers on cars??

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by testorossa1989, Aug 16, 2018.

1. testorossa1989

testorossa1989 Well-Known Member Established Member

Anyone use these plastic covers on their cars in the garage. I have a real bad dust problem and my car cover currently leaves weird discoloration fog on the paint when it sits for awhile. I'm curious if anyone else here uses them and is there any harm to the paint with prolonged use indoors 13734537c4e52003d5059d87b764e427.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Blown 89

Blown 89 Well-Known Member Established Member

If you have foggy paint it's a detailing problem that needs addressing.

I'd never use a plastic car cover on a regular basis. Too many scratches.

3. _Snake_

_Snake_ Well-Known Member Established Member

Yep. And traps moisture

4. Quik Z06

Quik Z06 Well-Known Member Established Member

Don't use those cheap plastic covers. Not sure why it does it but it will leave marks on your car, not scratches but they'll look like water spots and they are super hard to remove. Happened on an old Vette I had and a friends camaro.

5. HillbillyHotRod

HillbillyHotRod Hooligan rabble rouser Established Member

Probably because they sweat underneath. You need a cover that breathes.

DAVESVT2000 likes this.
  6. coposrv

coposrv Well-Known Member Established Member

7. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Zircon Encrusted Tweezers Established Member

Do yourself a favor and buy a quality cover like those from California Car Cover Co.

U.M.

8. Revvv

Revvv Infinity Poster Established Member

Plastic is never truly cured. It will always release chemicals until it has degraded. You have to remember, it is a petroleum product.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

9. Revvv

Revvv Infinity Poster Established Member

This too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

10. 13COBRA

13COBRA Resident Ford Dealer Premium Member Established Member

California Car Cover for the win.

DAVESVT2000, Revvv and Coiled03 like this.
  11. 4rd Toys

4rd Toys Polishing my SVTs.... Established Member

I only use these plastic covers as a "water-proofing" cover but OVER/On-top-of a custom-fit fabric cover when I have to park/store my vehicle outside only....

I do this to keep my car dry from the heavy morning dew season or afternoon monsoon-rains, PLUS during the January and February snow/ice....

I have been doing this for a couple of years, and so far zero issues since I use a custom-fit fabric cover underneath the plastic one.

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

But I use a quality clear packing-tape & tape the plastic cover to the shape of the vehicle I have sitting outside so the wind/rain/snow doesn't blow it off.... by doing this the plastic cover lasts a good while.

Now I'm having issues with up-loading pics; The site here says "too large" or I would up-load my car-covers in action under snow & monsoon conditions.

12. coposrv

coposrv Well-Known Member Established Member

Can I ask what covers you use specifically? I’m going to be storing a few vehicles outside this winter

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

13. Blown 89

Blown 89 Well-Known Member Established Member

When you cover your car you need to wash it first. If you insist on covering your car don't ever put it on unless the car is freshly washed.

Revvv and RedVenom48 like this.
  14. COOL COBRA

COOL COBRA Hell Yes! Established Member

Here's a tip that works.
    Buy the wife some new bed sheets. Take 2 old ones, sew them together, cover car.
    It's soft, it breaths, and it's a hell of a lot easier to remove & put on than a form fitted cover.

7998 likes this.
  15. 4rd Toys

4rd Toys Polishing my SVTs.... Established Member

IF you're referring to the plastic cover:

This one is probably the best one on eBay so far.... all other sellers seem to get theirs from the same chinese factory & are a poor fit. But I'm only covering a car and can't find one large enough for a pickup or SUV.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Plastic-Temporary-Universal-Disposable-Car-Cover-Rain-Dust-Garage-Cover-D/190667731373?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

................................................................................................................................

Griot Garage supplies a quality cover but I only order from 'em when they have their total free shipping or when orders total $50 to get free shipping....

Disposable Car Covers - Griot's Garage

..................................................................................................................................

This is the Clear-packing tape I use when I install a new plastic temp cover:

Search on Amazon for "Duck HD Clear Heavy Duty Packing Tape Refill, 6-Rolls, 1.88" x 54.6 Yards, #441962"

Plus it's $10.99....

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018