This Mod?

blackfang

Established Member
Right now i have a K&N, and 2 flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers with cutouts in the back side ( next to the tail pipes, see mustangworlds cutouts in the how to section).

I may be getting a Mac off road h pipe with mils for 120 bucks. My question is how much will i feel from the pipe. Will i lose any torque from that and the cutouts, and how much of a drop in ET can i expect? Thanks.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
With the cutouts and an OR pipe you will loose some HP and TQ. Mikie2001GT (now EviLS1) did the same to his 2001GT. On the dyno he lost almost 40 HP and TQ. I doubt it would be that big of a loss on a NA Cobra. However, I think it would still take away from the cars performance. With our small displacement engines, we require some backpressure in naturally aspirated street trim.

The problem with the flow is that it moves the power band further up the RPM scale. By doing a little you might loose a touch of down low TQ but gain middle and upper rpm HP and TQ. The big problem comes in when the exhaust is completely open with the stock cams. Often times it will shift the power band out of the cam profile, thus actually loosing HP. A different cam profile (.510ish lift and .210ish duration or there about) would really wake the car up with the free flowing exhaust combo you mentioned.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Mike's was great with the OR H and the caps in. When he opened them up is when the loss happened. He used to ride around with them open, then cap it up for the track.

blackfang

Established Member
Well i am getting the caps tomorrow for the cutout. That way i won't get every cop on the road grinning and hitting his codes on me for my excessive loud exhaust. So i am looking forward to the o/r h and it's power. With that and some DR's and cooler weather( not the 80 degree and 87% humidity), i may be looking at some 13.4-13.6's.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I don't see that being a problem at all.

When Mike did his cutouts he just used a lid off of a 55 gal oil drum. Took the caps out and had the threaded ring welded in, then put the caps back in. It does work well.:beer:

blackfang

Established Member
Thats what i am doing. I just have to get the caps. I am running the pipe now w/o them. I am impressed even though the caps are off. Can't wait to put them in.

Users who are viewing this thread