This is what is wrong with America.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I have to disagree with you on the talent claim. You have to have certain talents to be a successful actor/entertainer, otherwise everyone would be one.

Just like you have to have certain talents to be an athlete.

I know its not fair to say they have no talent but acting is something that can be taught to a degree and you don't even have to be that good at it to be quite successful. Jerry Seinfeld for instance. Whereas to make it to the professional level in sports you have to be truly gifted.

Athletes entertain. Celebrities entertain. Nothing more and nothing less. I always get a laugh from the guys who think their unhealthy obsession over sports is somehow different than females doing the same over the Hollywood elite.

Not much difference in the realm of entertainment between the two but sports fans passion is more for the sport itself rather than the individuals who play them imo. I agree with you that some people do have what you call an unhealthy obsession. Sure, root for your team but at some point you have to realize its just a game and you need to know whats really important in life.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I know its not fair to say they have no talent but acting is something that can be taught to a degree and you don't even have to be that good at it to be quite successful. Jerry Seinfeld for instance. Whereas to make it to the professional level in sports you have to be truly gifted.

Not much difference in the realm of entertainment between the two but sports fans passion is more for the sport itself rather than the individuals who play them imo. I agree with you that some people do have what you call an unhealthy obsession. Sure, root for your team but at some point you have to realize its just a game and you need to know whats really important in life.
As evidenced of the merchandise realm of sports; there are plenty of people with obsessed with sports. Same could be said for cars and all number of things.

LogiWorld123

Established Member

Jerry Seinfeld is a gifted comedian who can not only write original material, but has comedic timing- these are things not easily *taught*.

You picked a real bad example there.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Jerry Seinfeld is a gifted comedian who can not only write original material, but has comedic timing- these are things not easily *taught*.

You picked a real bad example there.

OMG, Seinfeld is my all time favorite show. Jerry and that entire cast were hilarious. I was strictly talking about his acting skills and how sucsessful he became despite not being the best at the craft. Not knocking his comedic talent at all.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Athletes entertain. Celebrities entertain. Nothing more and nothing less. I always get a laugh from the guys who think their unhealthy obsession over sports is somehow different than females doing the same over the Hollywood elite.

Analogy makes no sense. If a guy is obsessed over an athlete's personal life (omg did you see where Tom Brady went shopping today?!) then that would be the equivalent of being obsessed with a celebrity. Being a fan of sports is the equivalent of being a fan of the movies themselves.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Analogy makes no sense. If a guy is obsessed over an athlete's personal life (omg did you see where Tom Brady went shopping today?!) then that would be the equivalent of being obsessed with a celebrity. Being a fan of sports is the equivalent of being a fan of the movies themselves.

Obsessed sports fan huh?

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
A casual fan should understand why and how the comparison between obsessions of celebs and sports is being made.

A person with an IQ higher than a potato should understand that comparing individual celebrities to an activity doesn't make sense.

Actors are to Athletes as Movies are to Sports.

Not rocket science.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
A person with an IQ higher than a potato should understand that comparing individual celebrities to an activity doesn't make sense.

Actors are to Athletes as Movies are to Sports.

Not rocket science.

Should I alter the comparison into a non existent one so the men don't get their feewings hurt?

These obsessions are unhealthy and embarrassing which is usually why those doing the obsessing get defensive. The comparison was made because celebs and sports are what your average man and woman is way too deep into. The other thing is how both are essentially meaningless yet are not kept in perspective.

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Should I alter the comparison into a non existent one so the men don't get their feewings hurt?

These obsessions are unhealthy and embarrassing which is usually why those doing the obsessing get defensive. The comparison was made because celebs and sports are what your average man and woman is way too deep into. The other thing is how both are essentially meaningless yet are not kept in perspective.

If you want to put all "obsessions" into one big basket, go for it I guess. I'm just saying the specific analogy is wrong and doesn't make sense. In the grand scheme of things any obsession over something you have no control over and interferes with your life is a bad thing, that I can agree with.

Users who are viewing this thread