This is a question about the build of the 93 cobras

94cobra

When will it be fast enuf
Established Member
I was at a car show and this guy had a 93 cobra. He said that it was 1 0f 400 made in 93, his being #68. He also said it was the same as a cobra R but it had a radio, backseat, and AC. I didn't notice any koni shocks either. He also said it had the same drivetrain as a cobra R.
Now it didn't have full leather seats, kinda like the ones in the 92 gt's, and the paint wasn't really red it was an orange-ish tint, he said it was "vibrant red."
This guy is smoking crack right. They didn't make a "performance package cobra" right.
Can someone lead me in the right direction.
later
john

------------------
94 cobra #1612, [email protected] 1.87 60'
Dunlop sp 5000 275/40 ZR17
PIH
MSD
ProM77
Pulleys
3.73's
2.5 h-pipe and flowmasters
E cam
NEED headers and drag radials!!
before cam [email protected] (better weather conditions)

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I have never heard of a performance package cobra. Did it have cloth interior? If so that would make it rare. There were 362 Red with black cloth interior cars and 522 Red with gray cloth. That might have been what he was talking about.

94cobra

Established Member
Lee,
It had gray cloth interior, not the full leather seats. But this car almost looked orange. Like the 00 cobra R. I don't know the colors of the 93's but my car which is rio red was night and day different from this 93. I was thinking "dukes of hazzard" when I looked at this car.
I think it was built may 13 of 1993? Does that sound right?
thanks for the help.
john

Wayne93Cobra

Established Member
Vibrant Red was one of the 3 colors available. It is an orangy-red.

The 1993 Cobra R had the same drivetrain as the Cobra. All 1993 Cobras had the same performance (engine) There were about 5000 Cobras made. 107 Rs were made.

There may have been 400 of Vibrant Red with interior type as his. Big deal.

Options were: Leather, power seat, defroster, sunroof, CD player. That's it. None had cruise control.

"R" had radio delete, no A/C, no sunroof, no defroster or power seat, had cheapie LX seats, had degas bottle, big brakes and shocks. It also had black "94" 5 lug wheels with chrome center caps. It was only available in Vibrant Red. So basicly for bigger brakes, you paid an additional $8000.

He has an "ordinary" Cobra.

Wayne
Vibrant Red Cobras rule

QuickStangs

Established Member
Smokin !

I agree with you wayne that guy was smokin crack. He needs to do his homework before flapping his gums. :eek:

scjmach1

Established Member
I bought a 93 Cobra new and it was Vibrant Red. It does look like it has some orange in it.
There were 4993 Cobra's built and 107 Cobra R's built (all vibrant red). The Cobra R had the same engine as the regular Cobra but there were some other differences.
When I bought my 93 I had to wait a couple of days for it to be prepared and the dealership gave me a brand new GT to drive until it was ready. This car had over 200 miles on it and I am sure they were hard miles. I ran it down a 1/4 mile road where we used to drag race and noticed that the engine would pull very strong up to 5000 rpm and then start to taper off. My Cobra would rev to 5700 rpm before it would start to taper off. Both cars would rev a little farther but that is where they quit pulling as hard.

QuickStangs

Established Member
I agree SC. from what I've heard and read all the red cobra were vibrant. No rio red. I think if you buy it with clear coat the color looks darker. I have heard this disc. on other forums.

BillsSnake

The first nine 93 Cobras made were Vibrant Red without clearcoat and eight of themstayed with Ford factory with one actually making its way to a customer. Ford didn't like the color without the clearcoat and discontinued that practice. On Fords website they list the 93 Cobra color as Rio Red and we all know that this is an error. Ford SVT making mistakes is not new and I guarantee you it will continue. Just thought I would put in my 2 cents worth:lol:

hotrodcobra

Established Member
Originally posted by 94cobra

I think it was built may 13 of 1993? Does that sound right?
thanks for the help.
john

Not that it really matters, but that build date would not be correct. Mine was built on April 21, '93 and is #2161.

94cobra

Established Member
I know I started this thread back last April. But I saw this same guy again. He didn't remember me, so he tried to give me that Cobra R crap again. Telling me his car had the same drivetrain, engine as a cobra. I told him they all do. Then he says that his car came with the full MAC exhaust just like the cobra R, straight from the factory. Yeah right.
Then he asked how fast my car was. I told him high 12's the way it is sitting in the parking lot, street tires and all. Then he tells me his car runs low 12's. His car is stock except headers. Then I told him lets go line them up, he said he dosen't race. Now I know he is just one of theose people, the kind that is always better than everyone else no matter what.
I'll give him credit, his cobra is a mint, I mean mint cobra.
later
john

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
'93 'R' Model

First of all, this guy is a schmuck!

Now, onto the R's....
The '93's did have the same motor as the street Cobra due to emmission restrictions and cost constraints at the time. They had the same Borg-Warner T-5 transmission and clutch also.

The extras were:
• The air-to-oil power steering fluid cooler (mounted behind the right hand side fog-light space, which was also used as brake duct openings)

• Larger radiator from the '84 Lincoln turbo diesel six (requiring custom long radiator brackets)

• The coolant "de-gas" tank that removes air from the system (also found on '95 & '00 R's)

• The air-to-oil engine oil cooler, which increased the capacity to 6 qts. (mounted in the lower front fascia)

• The 17X8 wheels were pulled ahead from the next year's '94 SN95 Mustang and painted black

• SN95 spindles (5-lug front & back)

• The chassis was strengthened along the bottoms of the rocker panels just like the fox converts, except they were welded in instead of pop riveting and structural adhesive as on the 'verts.

• Strut tower brace

• Progressive-rate front springs & Koni yellow adjustable front struts/rear shocks

• Bigger front sway bar

• Upgraded 13-in. vented front brakes and twin piston aluminum calipers by PBR of Austrailia (the same as the SN95 street Cobra AND '95 R)

• Upgraded rear brakes to 10.5-in. single-piston untis from the Lincoln Mark VII

• Fullsize 17-in. spare tire (they didn't have a spacesaver spare to clear the 13-in. brakes yet)

So a little more than just 'brakes'. The exhaust was steet Cobra, factory Ford, not aftermarket... so the guy was a dreamer. He's thinking of the new R's delivered with aftermarket parts on it.
The guy is a putz...

RapidRunner

Established Member
Yes there are very orange in sun. Rio in later cars are not the same in sun. Take a look next time your at a show. Even thou there called the same. Vibrants are red in low light.

SVT x2- FYI R motors have other stuff not in books... Like Convertable mounts and different EGR valve....3 underdrive pullies instead of 2.... I found all this out by taking mine apart. :cool:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by RapidRunner

SVT x2- FYI R motors have other stuff not in books... Like Convertable mounts and different EGR valve....3 underdrive pullies instead of 2.... I found all this out by taking mine apart. :cool:

I had heard about the EGR valve before, but didn't know if that was the case for sure or not. What's so special about the EGR?

And I always thought the street Cobra's did have a 3-pc. underdrive pulley set..? What one of the 3 didn't they have?

RapidRunner

Established Member
94Cobra _also if you cross reference paint the show rio for 93, if you get it on your car it will not match. My car is now red which sux!!!! I miss the color change in the sun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Svt x2_ The Egr vacumm tube line is on the other side. Weird huh. I used to have a "plain Vibrant red" 93. My Brother just bought my other Black 93. He had "borrowed" my 75mm accufab with stock R egr throttle body and when he tried to hook it up it did not reach. The car amazes me, the more I rip it apart the more I find :cool: I need to park them side by side and take pics for comparison. It also has its own P/N! l8r:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread