Thinking of taking my wife to Key West next year. Recommendations from those who've been there?

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I did not care for Destin. Imagine all the people in a Manhattan rush hour traffic jam. Now imagine all those people after a $69 Spirit airlines flight to Florida, That's Destin.
The beaches were beautiful. I didn't care for the panhandle until Mexico beach.

A few of my clients, older people (60+) love Islamorada. They say you can go to Key West and get your fill of fairies and weirdos than cruise back and get that Old Florida experience.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
My goal is to visit most of my state of Florida so when we drive back to Florida instead of going down on 95 from cape cod we will be traveling through Tennessee for the first times in our lives and checking out the Smokey’s etc. Spending a few days there. Then it’s on to the Florida panhandle for the first times in our lives. Never been up there but very much looking forward to it. We will take our time up there and make our way down to Naples along the coastal roads and staying off 75.
If anyone has any must see places for this area I would appreciate it. Sorry to hijack your thread Bob but maybe you get info too on those beaches.

Take 98 through the PH. Gulf Shores AL is beautiful.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've been to Destin and San Destin. Super nice areas! We really like the condo and the amenities at Pensacola Beach. It's always kinda busy but we're use to it.
Replying to you, Nick, and others who surprised me by giving a thumbs down for the Keys. I honestly thought the Keys had miles of gorgeous beaches. I'm hearing/learning otherwise. My brother has been to Destin a few times and loves it. So after reading your comments and others, I'm leaning towards Destin.

So, for those who have vacationed in Destin, where areas of Destin do your recommend, which beaches, and which resort hotels?

97svt/01saleen

Established Member
We went to the Keys for Christmas last year. We wanted the whole experience so we flew into Miami and rented a Jeep and drove down to the Keys. The drive was not what I had pictured in my head lol. It was certainly nice in some spots but it was not the picturesque scene I was thinking of the whole way down. We stayed in Key Colony Beach @ Home through Air BNB. It was a nice place, but we didn't realize how nice we had it until we drove around the Keys more. We quickly realized how lucky we were to have the beach that we did. There is not a lot of beach in the Keys and from we could tell from Key West, almost non-existent there. We wanted to see Key West for Christmas because they supposedly do a good job with lights around the town. So we went down for the day, and only stayed a couple hours. It was extremely crowded (I understand it was Christmas time) and was mainly just bar hopping and shops. If you are going to do the Hemmingway house, make sure you take cash, they do not accept credit cards to get in. So Key West, was cool to see and say we had been there but was kind of a let down. Key Colony Beach on the other hand was right up our alley. Very lowkey and not too crowded. Had a great little beach there at the Continental Inn and we were right next to Sunset Park (unknowingly when we set it up). Really great place to watch the sunset each night. There was decent food nearby and the location is somewhat right in the middle of the Keys, so it was easy day trips to go North or South. One other thing we did not think about was the water temp lol. It was rather cold so I would check on the avg water temp during the time you want to be down there.

All that said, it was nice to see it but for another "beach" vacation, I think we have come to the conclusion that there are far better options out there.

7upstang

Established Member
I would skip Key West, just one big party town.

However, the drive to Key West is really gorgeous. I think someone said the keys without a boat is pointless, I would agree.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For what it's worth, if we go to Destin it will be in May or June. We're also looking at Siesta Key or Naples Beach.

I am also looking at Siesta Key (Sarasota), which is a gorgeous beach. My brother has stayed in Siesta Key 3-4 times and likes it. I've been to Siesta Key, but never stayed in a hotel there. The beach is stunning. Lots of stuff to see/do around there, as well.

Bruno, how is Naples Beach? I wasn't considering Naples because I didn't think it had nice beaches. But I'm seeing some impressive beach photos. Naples, itself, is awesome, as you know.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We went to the Keys for Christmas last year. We wanted the whole experience so we flew into Miami and rented a Jeep and drove down to the Keys. The drive was not what I had pictured in my head lol. It was certainly nice in some spots but it was not the picturesque scene I was thinking of the whole way down. We stayed in Key Colony Beach @ Home through Air BNB. It was a nice place, but we didn't realize how nice we had it until we drove around the Keys more. We quickly realized how lucky we were to have the beach that we did. There is not a lot of beach in the Keys and from we could tell from Key West, almost non-existent there. We wanted to see Key West for Christmas because they supposedly do a good job with lights around the town. So we went down for the day, and only stayed a couple hours. It was extremely crowded (I understand it was Christmas time) and was mainly just bar hopping and shops. If you are going to do the Hemmingway house, make sure you take cash, they do not accept credit cards to get in. So Key West, was cool to see and say we had been there but was kind of a let down. Key Colony Beach on the other hand was right up our alley. Very lowkey and not too crowded. Had a great little beach there at the Continental Inn and we were right next to Sunset Park (unknowingly when we set it up). Really great place to watch the sunset each night. There was decent food nearby and the location is somewhat right in the middle of the Keys, so it was easy day trips to go North or South. One other thing we did not think about was the water temp lol. It was rather cold so I would check on the avg water temp during the time you want to be down there.

All that said, it was nice to see it but for another "beach" vacation, I think we have come to the conclusion that there are far better options out there.
Thanks for your comments about the Keys. My daughter went there two years ago with two of our adult granddaughters (22 and 25). They didn't have a pleasant experience the one time they left their hotel to go into town. The hotel was really nice, with a great pool, but when they went into town to eat one night they had to deal with this older (homeless?) asshole who repeatedly propositioned our granddaughters and followed the three of them for awhile. My daughter finally got in his face and he melted back into the darkness he must live in. But seriously, that episode ruined their vacation. The rest of their time there they stayed within the hotel property. Sad that in the United States people have to consider staying within the hotel grounds and not venture into the nether-land of local towns.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
"Crab island" Destin :)
I'd rent a beach house before a hotel. I rented one for our wedding night a mile down the beach from this. McGuires is a fav of ours...just make sure you pay attention to which restroom you go into....trust me. The Irish Wake drink is amazing yet deadly. Their spinach artichoke dip is the best. Whataburger is the best...so if you have not eaten it...a must. Nice little walkway behind the Emerald Grand which is in the picture and also across from McGuires.
crab.PNG

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My goal is to visit most of my state of Florida so when we drive back to Florida instead of going down on 95 from cape cod we will be traveling through Tennessee for the first times in our lives and checking out the Smokey’s etc. Spending a few days there. Then it’s on to the Florida panhandle for the first times in our lives. Never been up there but very much looking forward to it. We will take our time up there and make our way down to Naples along the coastal roads and staying off 75.
If anyone has any must see places for this area I would appreciate it. Sorry to hijack your thread Bob but maybe you get info too on those beaches.
I know you said 95, and will be cutting across before you get to my recommendation. One place that is great is St Augustine. We go at least once a year, and one of the only spots on the east coast that I really like.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Don't go to the keys unless you have your own (or access to a) boat

I've heard that before.

Oyster City Brewing in Apalachicola is a nice spot.

I know you said 95, and will be cutting across before you get to my recommendation. One place that is great is St Augustine. We go at least once a year, and one of the only spots on the east coast that I really like.

I like staying in the marina down town there.

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
We have thought about the keys but always go to Destin. We stay right on the beach and watch dolphins from our balcony. Our hotel is only 3 stories and its right near Henderson Beach state park. The beach there is never busy when we go and the views are gorgeous. Only issue is the traffic congestion on the Emerald Coast Parkway.

RES0574

Established Member
I was a temporary resident of Panama City Beach for five years (2013-2018, Pre-Hurricane Michael), and I lived at Marina Landing at the foot of the Hathaway Bridge. PCB was an absolute disaster from May until September. Traffic was terrible, and there were not enough service industry people to support the tourist influx, I can only imagine how bad it is now. I never went to the beach during summer season, only after the tourists left.

Some of the better beach locations (close to PCB) that we did enjoy were Rosemary and Inlet Beaches

I did take the 98 trips from PC over to Homosassa, FL at least once a month. I enjoyed spending time in Mexico Beach, Port St. Joe, Apalachicola, Alligator Point, Shell Point, St. Marks Light House, and Cedar Key.

We went to the Keys last year in April. Key West was slammed with people everywhere, we only went for the day. Similar to our retired squid (Mysticsvt), almost all of my travels to Key West have been for work (fixing rudder seals for the USCG afloat during Fantasy Fest makes you hate that place). Most of our time was spent in Marathon and Islamorada, which were okay, but did not exceed the enjoyment of being on the coast locations I mentioned above.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Bob, there is some real good advice here. I have done most of the ones listed and hands down would pick the panhandle above them all for beaches. Take a look at the cost from Panama City Beach west and you will find the finest beaches in the world.

If you want quiet and carefree look at Rosemary beach, Seaside, Graton. If you want more to things to choose from "eats, night life, shopping", continue west to Fort Walton and Destin and even over into Alabama to Perdido Key. For that matter you can stay in Panama City and day trip to all of them.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
One of the best things about that part of Florida and well most of Florida is the Ocean, Rivers, Creeks, Lakes. We use to hit up the beach and then stop by certain rivers or creeks on the way home. Sure helps with the burn!

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
Don’t go to Key west the third week of January. There is a big sailboat race that week. It’ll be crowded and full of drunk sailors.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
We visited there the fall of 2020 and loved it. Spent two nights there and would definitely visit again. A totally different vibe to almost any place on the east coast and I could definitely live there except for the winters due to the cold. Next time we go through that area we will be visiting Amelia Island. There’s so much in our state to see and enjoy.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
We visited there the fall of 2020 and loved it. Spent two nights there and would definitely visit again. A totally different vibe to almost any place on the east coast and I could definitely live there except for the winters due to the cold. Next time we go through that area we will be visiting Amelia Island. There’s so much in our state to see and enjoy.
Yeah, it does get cold there. We were there late January for my kids wedding. They live here, but love it there too. Froze my ass off, but it was a huge cold front and was high 30’s here when we got home. Yep, some really cool places here.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Yeah, it does get cold there. We were there late January for my kids wedding. They live here, but love it there too. Froze my ass off, but it was a huge cold front and was high 30’s here when we got home. Yep, some really cool places here.
When those cold fronts come through in Naples. Yes. I am one of many wearing winter cloths with temps in the 60’s and my heat is on.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
For what it's worth, if we go to Destin it will be in May or June. We're also looking at Siesta Key or Naples Beach.

I am also looking at Siesta Key (Sarasota), which is a gorgeous beach. My brother has stayed in Siesta Key 3-4 times and likes it. I've been to Siesta Key, but never stayed in a hotel there. The beach is stunning. Lots of stuff to see/do around there, as well.

Bruno, how is Naples Beach? I wasn't considering Naples because I didn't think it had nice beaches. But I'm seeing some impressive beach photos. Naples, itself, is awesome, as you know.
My vote goes to Siesta / St. Arman's beach. Just beautiful as descbribed. Been a few times now and love the area. Way Way way less congested than Destin and whole lot more bang for your buck. Think we rented a house last year for a week for about $1100 all in. Destin / 30A area was double that. Wife and I hope to move to Sarasota area someday!

Users who are viewing this thread