Thinking of moving to Denver, CO area...

Sirraf

Established Member
So, my wife and I are thinking of moving to the Denver area as her family lives somewhat close to the region. I have never been to CO, and it does look like a very beautiful area. Does anyone have any feedback for the region? How is cost of living, people, weather, etc.

MG0h3

Established Member
Heard it’s expensive. Lots of stoners with the legal weed. Only have one reference though.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I would recommend visiting a few times in different seasons. You’ll get the gist of the people environment and costs

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I visit there all the time. Housing costs are out of control. Its only going up there. People are ok depending on the area i guess. Job market is very good. The weather is usually always nice there. That’s all i got

noco5.0

Established Member
It's expensive.....it's a little more reasonable in northern Colorado Ft. Collins, Loveland, Greeley but still expensive. The whole Front Range is growing like crazy so traffic is terrible and getting worse. I personally think Colorado Springs is a dump so I would look at the metro Denver area or north. The economy is good, but our new liberal governor and legislature will probably ruin that. There are stoners everywhere and legal weed seems to have attracted a large transient population. I live in northern Colorado and there are bums everywhere and it really wasn't that way up until they legalized weed. I hate the weather here. They always talk about the 300 days of sunshine a year here which I think is BS. In the late spring/summer we get thunder storms pretty much every afternoon. My house has been trashed by hail twice in the last 5 years. I assume your a car enthusiast or you wouldn't be on this site I've had to cancel a bunch of plans due to our crappy summer weather. The mountains are nice but again it's getting crowded so not as fun as it used to be. I will probably relocate when my wife and I retire we should make a good chunk on our house which we bought at a good time.

I've been here since 1994 and have lived in metro Denver, Longmont, and Weld County during that time. It sounds silly but my wife watches "House Hunters" once in awhile on HGTV and they have had some episodes in Colorado lately. Gives you a pretty good idea of what you can buy for 4-500 thousand in the metro area.

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Heard it’s expensive. Lots of stoners with the legal weed. Only have one reference though.

That's the funniest thing I've read on here in a while.

I'm pretty much pro-legalize it despite never smoking it. We just got back (wife and I) from a 7 day adventure up there. Denver, Boulder, Golden, outlying cities, etc. Had a ton of people talk about bums and stoners and all that before we went.

In 7 days, one person asked me to smoke with them, I saw one person smoking in their car, and I smelled it walking by a house in boulder. That's it. 7 days, 3 encounters, and it wasn't even remotely offensive. Cig smokers are worse in SC than the weed smokers in CO were.

Bums were interesting. Saw a few that might as well have been licking paint off walls. I expected a lot worse, but overall I think I see more here frequently than I did there. And we traveled around and to all different areas of metro Denver.

I'd suggest foothills/range living. Get up into a small podunk town and you'll get away from the Metro area bums, excessively liberal folks, and live in a seriously beautiful place. I'd live in Golden or Boulder without much hesitation.

Coiled03

Established Member
I have family that live there (Lakewood, CO), and family that just left there for a number of reasons. We used to ski in CO every year when I was a little younger. I have plenty of experience in the Denver area.

My advice: don't do it unless you're willing to live a good distance outside the city. Also, you'd better love liberal government because that's what they have, and it's only getting worse. California transplants have infected the entire state.

Pros:
Weather
Scenery
Great area for outdoor activities
Uhhh....that's it.

Cons:
Cost of housing is ludicrous.
Cost of living in general is ludicrous.
Traffic is nuts. Not LA bad, but still nuts.
Liberals

I'm pretty much pro-legalize it despite never smoking it. We just got back (wife and I) from a 7 day adventure up there. Denver, Boulder, Golden, outlying cities, etc. Had a ton of people talk about bums and stoners and all that before we went.

In 7 days, one person asked me to smoke with them, I saw one person smoking in their car, and I smelled it walking by a house in boulder. That's it. 7 days, 3 encounters, and it wasn't even remotely offensive. Cig smokers are worse in SC than the weed smokers in CO were.

Bums were interesting. Saw a few that might as well have been licking paint off walls. I expected a lot worse, but overall I think I see more here frequently than I did there. And we traveled around and to all different areas of metro Denver.

I'd suggest foothills/range living. Get up into a small podunk town and you'll get away from the Metro area bums, excessively liberal folks, and live in a seriously beautiful place. I'd live in Golden or Boulder without much hesitation.

A 7-day experience doesn't exactly prove anything. Like I said, I have family members who've lived there for over 20 years, and they'll tell you it's completely different since they legalized pot.

Last edited:

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Colorado Springs is a sprawling city, but traffic isn't that bad. There are a lot of people that work in Denver, but commute from the northern part of Colorado Springs. Denver is nice, but a little too crowded for my taste. If you want land look elsewhere (my thoughts).

noco5.0

Established Member

This post is one of the funniest things I've read on here in awhile. The Peoples Republic of Boulder is one of the most liberal cities in the US. It's right up there with Berkeley California and Madison Wisconsin. It's also insanely expensive. The average price of a house in Boulder is around a million bucks. There are transients all over Boulder because it's pretty much accepted there and they seem to flock to that area. You are accurate on it being a beautiful place, but unless you get a job in the tech industry there it's going to be crazy expensive even by Colorado standards.

Cost of average home in Boulder surpasses $1 million – Boulder Daily Camera

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
So, my wife and I are thinking of moving to the Denver area as her family lives somewhat close to the region. I have never been to CO, and it does look like a very beautiful area. Does anyone have any feedback for the region? How is cost of living, people, weather, etc.
I'll preface this by saying been here 17 years or so. Lived in Denver, Springs, and Fort Collins areas.

Scenery is great, cost of living, especially in Denver is out right retarded for what you get, unless dropping $400k+ on a place or plan on paying $2200+/month for decent place. People in Denver are not my favorite, hipsters and liberals primarily. Lot to do in Denver, but unless directly downtown, parking is a shit show of street parking, not remotely adequate for the population we now have. Last Saturday, I circled a few blocks for 10 minutes, to find a spot to meet someone for a drink in Denver. Entire city changes block by block. You'll have cool bars/restaurants, but might walk past borderline condemned low income areas, and historic million dollar homes. So pay attention to your surroundings.

16th street mall, used to be the big pride of downtown, area with lots of shops, etc. Lots of vagrants now, last year there were multiple incidents of attacks. It's getting dirtier and worse as the place gets more liberal. Same with the homeless in general, tent cities, shooting up in parks, etc.

Highways, traffic in general have gotten horrible the last 5 years thanks to the economy. Not shocking that despite all the money this state pulls, they aren't concerned on keeping the roads decent. They are doing a bunch of road projects but some include more toll lanes which is starting to get out of hand out here.

Denver/Boulder is very liberal. The last governor was borderline sensible on some things (oil industry), the new one is way to the left, so don't count on things to get better any time soon. Despite voters knocking down increased restrictions on oil and the high paying jobs with it, the new leadership has pulled some sneaky workarounds to still force through the restrictions they wanted all along.

Living in northern CO (foco/loveland), is substantially better in terms of people. Far friendlier (40/60 lib conservative), less congestion, noise and more sensible leadership (for now). Still plenty to do, but smaller cities that still has "some" small town feel.

Can give more info, if you ask specific things.

It's like being surrounded by mindless zombis everyday. Serious.

@Screw-Rice has been in CO for quite a while.
No shortage of zombies in Denver, drug issues are getting bad around there. I was amazed they didn't force through the clean shooting up area.

It's expensive.....it's a little more reasonable in northern Colorado Ft. Collins, Loveland, Greeley but still expensive. The whole Front Range is growing like crazy so traffic is terrible and getting worse. I personally think Colorado Springs is a dump so I would look at the metro Denver area or north. The economy is good, but our new liberal governor and legislature will probably ruin that. There are stoners everywhere and legal weed seems to have attracted a large transient population. I live in northern Colorado and there are bums everywhere and it really wasn't that way up until they legalized weed. I hate the weather here. They always talk about the 300 days of sunshine a year here which I think is BS. In the late spring/summer we get thunder storms pretty much every afternoon. My house has been trashed by hail twice in the last 5 years. I assume your a car enthusiast or you wouldn't be on this site I've had to cancel a bunch of plans due to our crappy summer weather. The mountains are nice but again it's getting crowded so not as fun as it used to be. I will probably relocate when my wife and I retire we should make a good chunk on our house which we bought at a good time.
Pretty accurate, although we do average 300 days, they just don't say it last the entire day. April-June are notorious for pop up thunderstorms in the afternoon. Sunny and 86 an hour ago, clouds rolling in now.

Lot of input for a 7 day stint here.

If you're a registered (D), we're full.
We need to purge all the (D) that came in like roaches the last 5-10 years and screwed everything up. Please spay and neuter your neighborhood Californians.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

That’s absurd. I work in Denver and weed is EVERYWHERE.

Fired a guy last week because He was smoking on his lunch break. True story.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I have family that live there (Lakewood, CO), and family that just left there for a number of reasons. We used to ski in CO every year when I was a little younger. I have plenty of experience in the Denver area.

My advice: don't do it unless you're willing to live a good distance outside the city. Also, you'd better love liberal government because that's what they have, and it's only getting worse. California transplants have infected the entire state.

Pros:
Weather
Scenery
Great area for outdoor activities
Uhhh....that's it.

Cons:
Cost of housing is ludicrous.
Cost of living in general is ludicrous.
Traffic is nuts. Not LA bad, but still nuts.
Liberals

A 7-day experience doesn't exactly prove anything. Like I said, I have family members who've lived there for over 20 years, and they'll tell you it's completely different since they legalized pot.

X1000

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nxhappy

Established Member
**** that. it's becoming the new CA. Except you have SNOW.

Again, **** that. You are better off in Idaho or Montana. Choose a FREE state with low taxes.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I spend alot of time out there the past 15 years or so.
It's heartbreaking how quickly things changed and still exponentially continues to change into what I joke with my brother in law is essentially "East California."

Sent from my Note9

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread