• Don't do it

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
As most of my close family has died/is dying and others like my only sister have moved to Colorado my family ties are dwindling here in Wichita.
I'm 31, single and currently am the CIO for a regional trucking company which had been driving me nuts lately.
Wichita is well known for being one of the worst dating cities either 1st or 2nd depending on the list.
I'm thinking of St Pete Beach, especially if I could afford cabbage key or Tierra Verde (where my late uncle had an awesome condo).
What's the IT field like in St. Petersburg and Tampa? Cost of living? Dating?
I'm just sick of this cold and would love to never see a salt truck in front of my GT/CS again.
Thanks!

Mods could I get a "do it"/"don't do it" poll? Thanks!

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
All I can say is moving to south florida is the best thing I have ever done. 365 car weather, great beaches and I met the love of my life down here. Made the move from Boston to Palm Beach Gardens three years ago and have absolutely ZERO regrets. As for your Tampa specific questions I have no idea, but where i'm at the job market has been steadily growing since I moved here

divernb

Unrefined
Established Member
Tampa has one of the strongest IT job markets in Florida. However, if you were in st. Pete and had to drive to Tampa every day, it may get a little old. Also, it is very humid down here and will rain a ton in the summer.

Despite all that, I love Florida and ill probably never leave.

Rem152

Established Member
Living in Miami most of my life I would say stay away from the Brickell and South Beach areas. My reasoning is as follows although the nightlife is amazing because there are constant parties or something constantly going on in the Wynwood District (Art Basel look it up if you dont know) the problem with Miami and the areas surrounding it is that their are way to many pretentious people who live here. Its more about what you have and drive as opposed to what you can bring to the table from an intellectual level and mental level. Ironically enough where many people would drool over a nice mustang or camaro or what not I find that atleast down south as mentioned before. Kendall, South Miami, Pinecrest, South Beach, Brickell as well as the up and coming Wynwood I notice more of the "Nice to meet you" followed by the "What do you do?" and what you drive seems to be a basis of that because its all about Beemers and Mercedes or Lexus. They literally are me-too cars. If I were you stay up more North Palm Beach Gardens and some parts of Fort Lauderdale.

As to economy being that your in IT there is plenty of business because of the fact we have many people from South America who start up businesses and not mention that IT here is very competitive from what I've seen. The only down sides to what I see with living in Florida were what I mentioned and the possibility of Hurricanes and the pain in the ass drivers and flooding. Being a native of here for almost 30 years I've seen my fair share of things and been all over Florida, so if you have any questions as far as nightlife is concerned and what to do shoot me a pm. Always nice to welcome another Floridian.

I will say this though the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
I live in Wichita Kansas too! Amazingly boring place it is. Florida is 1000 times better than Kansas, and so is Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee.

Personally I don't see how anyone would actually want to live in Kansas. The roads are completely straight, and curves are all right angles. Not to mention the bitter cold ass wind. All of which you won't have to worry about in the South. In this case the grass is most definitely greener on the other side considering it's Florida vs Kansas.

Rem152

Established Member
Well if we were comparing states being that I've never been to Kansas then I can see that being the mentality. As far as the roads being flat and curvy... hell I wish we had that down here because that's all we have is flat roads and the only winding roads we have are the off and on ramps lol oh also did I mention before the damn humidity and heat during the summer with the humidity the way it is you sweat in places you did not know were possible but, I mean your young so to hell with it move down and if you don't like it you have the time to decide where else life should take you.

On a side note I really dig Savannah, GA I was there after Christmas and I have to say that it was truly beautiful over there I don't know if it was the cool weather and just the overall old school feel, but it was refreshing to say the least.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Cost of living is a lot less down here. Everyone else has commented on the weather. You might make less money. I would use a professional recruiting service that the employer pays
for to do your search. If you're not on Linkedin I would join.
Good luck

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My mom lives in Palmetto, which isn't far from St. Petersburg/St. Pete Beach. If we didn't have family up here in CT, I'd be moving to that area of Florida in a heartbeat.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Charlotte has the best IT job market in the country.

And there more hot women here than anywhere. And they are actually nice.

And not many dudes.

A hidden gem... come visit for one weekend and you'll see. Hit me up too I'll show you around.

Moved from Ft Lauderdale.

There's waaaaaay too much riff raff in Fla.

Last edited:

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
Comparing Wichita and Florida is like asking if you should hook up with Rosie O'Donnell or Kate Upton. Florida it is....

BMR Tech

It's not all about weather and beaches. The Tampa area has some serious downfalls. I wish I would have pulled the trigger on moving away from the Tampa area, before my kids started to get into school. Time flies.

Anyhow, if you work in Tampa then I suggest looking into areas north of Tampa, like Odessa, over to New Tampa/Wesley Chapel area.

Good luck.

_Snake_

Established Member
I moved from DE to FL in 2006 and haven't looked back. Swore I'd never live here because it was too hot, there were too many old people, too many bugs, it was too expensive, etc, etc. Honestly, it would take A LOT to get me to leave the state now.

Ironically, I took a Project Manager job in Tampa and have been working closely with IT folks since then. Shoot me a PM if you want to chat about the area and job opportunities. Can't comment much on the night life though: I met my bride not too long after moving down and we were married a few years later. :)

Mike

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
West is coast is way different from the east coast. I like it down where I'm at, but not as much job potential in this area. That seems to be changing though as bigger companies are moving offices here. As mentioned, you'll just love the summers, lol.

CobraBob, next time you head down this way give me a shout. Palmetto isn't to far north.

Oh yeah, poll added for you.

Users who are viewing this thread