Thinking of making a career change - LEOs Only

J.T.

Established Member
I have always wanted to be involved in law enforcement and am now considering making the move as my current career is not rewarding anymore. The question I have is that I am 34 almost 35 and would like some honest opinions on whether or not this is too old to start a career in law enforcement. I will say that I am in as good of shape as I was 10 years ago and I know the physical requirements will not be a problem at all but am more concerned with performing the job 15-20 years down the road. Most police departments in my area have a cutoff at 36 so the time is now or never. I just wanted some feedback to see if you all could see yourselves starting at this age or if any of you have. Although I have been out for awhile I am a 6 year Navy veteran where I had regular weapons and tactical training as a member and trainer for the shipboard security force but have no actual law enforcement experience. I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks

cemeflybyu

Press hard, 5 copies...
Established Member
I lost my job a little over a year ago. I was a regional account manager for CitiMortgage. I will be 35 in a month and was a lazy tub of lard. I started running everyday, working out, got hired last october, lost 54 pounds and graduated the academy in the top 5 of my class.

So far other than the fact that I make less than half of what I used to make....I love it. It was the job I always wanted to do but made too much money to quit and start doing. The mortgage meltdown just helped put everything in place, 1/2 of what I was making is better than 100% of being unemployed!!!

The questions are, can you afford to make ends meet and live happily on an LEO's pay? (IT'S HARD) Do you have a family (like I do) how do they feel about it? Is it what you want to do...or does it just look cool on TV? Trust me, in my short time, Ive learned its not all car chases and cracking the big case....there is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more paperwork than you might expect, and then there is court on your days off or after you worked all night an have to work again the following night as well.

If it still sounds like what your after...GO FOR IT! Better to go for it and fail than never try and always wonder...

Just my .02

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If you have a four year degree you should consider some of the Fed. LEO positions although they are very competitive, the pay is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread