THINKING OF BUYING ONE

916er

Established Member
Hello all, I am thinking of selling my 2012 GT500 and buying a GT350. Are there any years I should stay away from?

Supercharged362

2019 and 2020 are all that I would consider.

I ended up purchasing a 2020 350r and love it every time I drive it.

No motor issues, no tram lining, no worries.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
For the most part they are all very similar and awesome. There are minor differences between the years that you may or may not be interested in. Like any purchase, I'd focus on finding one you trust the owner and history of over just buying based on a specific year/color/option.

Last edited:

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
>2019 shares the predator block. I would not get <2019.

916er

Established Member
Have you driven a 350 yet? Great cars but might feel different than your current Shelby.
-J
I haven't driven one. I drove a GT, which I know is a different animal but I couldn't believe the difference in every aspect of the car. I would love to drive one

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
2020 has revised steering knuckles (I believe) and cost about $5k more than a 2019. 2020 is the last year for these cars. You’ll notice a big loss loss of torque over the GT500, but the handling and refinement of the 350’s chassis is a vast improvement.

916er

Established Member
Thank you. The GT500 is a little out of my price range, and even at the same price, I wouldn't bite......I need a manual!

KBBoss302

Established Member
Just to be clear - only the 2020 GT350R model got the revised front knuckles. The "regular" GT350 did not.

If I were in the market, I also would probably only look at a 2019 or 20 model with the Gen 2 engine. Lots of speculation on the web about exact differences but, in general terms, the 2016-18s seemed to have oil consumption issues and sometimes some catastrophic issues. The 2019s and 2020s don't seem to be as affected, although be aware that there is a TSB for certain 2020s that did not have the cam chain tensioner "activated" at the factory and the engines blew up in very short order (typically less than 1000 miles).

It's not quite the same as a GT500, but I had a 2013 Boss LS for 8 years before getting a 2020 GT350R. Parked next to each other, loved them both. But I found myself driving the 350R 9 times out of 10 so I sold the Boss to a friend. The Boss is one of my most favorite cars ever but the 350 is just a whole other level of awesome! You will not be disappointed if you get one!

03reptile

Established Member
I had a 2007, 2011, and 2013 GT500. All were great torque monsters, but I always felt they were plotting to kill me! LOL! I was enamored with the 350 when it was introduced in 2015, as I prefer road courses. I just couldn't give up the HP of the GT500's. When the 2020 GT500's were rumored, sans manual transmission, I took the plunge and ordered a new 2019 GT350. Although it was not as powerful as the previous 500's, the 350 made up for it with it's balance and fantastic engine! I have +21K on the 350 and thoroughly enjoy the overall experience in driving it. More so than the previous GT500's. No issues with the car other than the A/C compressor going out last month and being replaced under warranty. The compressor issues are across the board in the S550 Mustang line, so not surprised. Go for the 2019+ MY's as they seem like the best iterations.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I haven't driven one. I drove a GT, which I know is a different animal but I couldn't believe the difference in every aspect of the car. I would love to drive one
Drive one first.
I actually have a manual Mach 1 HP on order because I too love driving a manual.
I’m not criticizing your choice but these are not GTs or s197 GT500s so before you commit my advice is to drive one.
Mine will be a DD so a Mach 1 and the same sweet Tremec in the 350 is my goal, but with digital dash, auto rev match, flat foot shifting and such.
For a fun/weekend/collectible car the 350 is a better choice but I’d never commit without driving one.
-J

q6543

Established Member
You may end up like.... hey... where did all the torque go??
It's down almost 100tq from your gt500

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
You may end up like.... hey... where did all the torque go??
It's down almost 100tq from your gt500

A few years ago I found a 350 on a dealership lot. Me and my wife took it out and I was very surprised that even with 3:73 gears, the huge "deflated" feeling it had compared to my GT500. I could not get back to the dealer fast enough.

It probably does handle very well compared to a S197. But I am more of an
ax-murderer driver vs surgeon.

Now that that Mach 1 is out, I would be curious to see how a fully optioned Mach 1 drives in comparison to a 350; primarily the Mach 1 has a tried and true engine.

And than theres the OIL FILTER issue for the 350, unless it has been resolved?

edit: I would buy a Mach 1 over a 350 and keep the s197 Shelby if possible

96gt02

Established Member
I agree with J, you definitely should drive the GT350 first as much as possible, I had one a few years ago at the same time as my 12 GT500 and I still have the GT500 while the 350 only lasted me a few months before i ditched it, one of my least favorite cars to drive, looks awesome and handles insane but just not my cup of tea otherwise.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I drove my buddies 16 350 a few years ago and recently just bought our 19 350. It currently has 17k miles.

I personally haven't driven a 11-14 GT 500. But I like the body style of the 350's much more.

Might not be the fastest of cars out there, but the sound of the flat plane crank engine is hard to beat.

It's already a car that could be considered a collector, especially if the 5.2 voodoo flat plane crank engine will never be brought back.
ad0a9de7325a8a8eac5fe68a368e63b5.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
A few years ago I found a 350 on a dealership lot. Me and my wife took it out and I was very surprised that even with 3:73 gears, the huge "deflated" feeling it had compared to my GT500. I could not get back to the dealer fast enough.

It probably does handle very well compared to a S197. But I am more of an
ax-murderer driver vs surgeon.

Now that that Mach 1 is out, I would be curious to see how a fully optioned Mach 1 drives in comparison to a 350; primarily the Mach 1 has a tried and true engine.

And than theres the OIL FILTER issue for the 350, unless it has been resolved?

edit: I would buy a Mach 1 over a 350 and keep the s197 Shelby if possible
Did you drive the 350 at low rpm like a supercharged car or like it was designed to be driven, at 6000+ rpms? Too many think the 350 is a low rpm muscle car. It's not this. It's a high rpm race car. You want power then you need to be above 4K rpms and keep it up there.

Concerning the oil filter, the spin on canisters can be secured with a $2 clamp and 2 minutes of installation.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you drive the 350 at low rpm like a supercharged car or like it was designed to be driven, at 6000+ rpms? Too many think the 350 is a low rpm muscle car. It's not this. It's a high rpm race car. You want power then you need to be above 4K rpms and keep it up there.

Concerning the oil filter, the spin on canisters can be secured with a $2 clamp and 2 minutes of installation.

I see your point. It's a slow car
No, I don't drive like grandpa Lee going to pick up cheese curds

Users who are viewing this thread