Thinking about self-contracting our new home build

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Am I nuts not to hire a General Contractor? Not a monster build or anything like that, only 2100sf plus unfinished basement. I work remote two days a week, and only half day on Fridays, so I'm seriously considering doing it since I can set my own hours and such.

Anyone else do their own?

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
If you have all the cash to do it, go for it. However, if you need to borrow ANY money. A bank most likely won't participate unless you are a licensed contractor.

sleek98

Established Member
I am currently self contracting my lake house build. Its been kind of a pain in the ass due to subs being busy with their normal builders. Biggest hassle was getting all of the permits and building plans as we kept getting pushed off for their bigger projects. I also have had to work from the shoreline up as we will be block off almost all access once the house goes in. We *should* be on the schedule to get our foundation done in the next month depending on weather.

Another lady in my department just finished doing their house. Her husband and her contracted out most of the work, but they also did some of it with the help of family.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Permits are the first biggest PIA.

Inspectors are the next biggest PIA.

Scheduling your subs at the right time, in order, along with material shortages/supply chain issues is next.

Pay as little as possible up front to subs.

Be prepared to make changes as you go along and have room in your budget for them.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
My father was the "GC" on his current house.

Of course it helped when he was the structural engineer for the house.

I'd say now with timing issues/labor shortages or dealing with delays(dependent where you're at) it could be more of a PITA now than pre covid.

tistan

Established Member
The biggest hurdle you will have will be sub contractors. The good ones are going to be booked by general contractors. You will be left overpaying for the bad subs. Building inspectors know jack shit about actual building. They are not going to catch any real problems, and the building department isn't responsible for anything they missed. You had better know what you are doing before you think about building yourself.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I wouldn’t be my own GC at this time in the building world. You are going to be hard pressed to hire subs, they don’t like working on one offs when there is lots of work with their regular GC’s. you can save some money by doing it yourself or it can end up costing you a shit ton more, especially if you are not up to speed on current codes and normal build practices.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Am I nuts not to hire a General Contractor? Not a monster build or anything like that, only 2100sf plus unfinished basement. I work remote two days a week, and only half day on Fridays, so I'm seriously considering doing it since I can set my own hours and such.

Anyone else do their own?
I have done two of mine. I used to do commercial construction (still kind of dabble). My bank wouldn’t do a self build loan. I went to the bank that financed a $40M project I had just completed and they did it. Had to put in 30% equity. Many subs are a pain in the ass and given you are likely a one time client you will be at the bottom of their give a shit list. It will take a little longer because of this. Still a decent amount of savings if you have the time. Just keep in mind there will be some things that will come up not covered by the subs that you will have to do yourself or pay them extra.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
If you have all the cash to do it, go for it. However, if you need to borrow ANY money. A bank most likely won't participate unless you are a licensed contractor.
No banks involved, thankfully.
I am currently self contracting my lake house build. It's been kind of a pain in the ass due to subs being busy with their normal builders. Biggest hassle was getting all of the permits and building plans as we kept getting pushed off for their bigger projects. I also have had to work from the shoreline up as we will be block off almost all access once the house goes in. We *should* be on the schedule to get our foundation done in the next month depending on weather.

Another lady in my department just finished doing their house. Her husband and her contracted out most of the work, but they also did some of it with the help of family.
Coincidentally, this will be a lake house build as well. Our county is a bit "lax"when it comes to permits and inspections. Very little to get them going and very few inspections. Thankfully, I have a good friend starting his build, and a first cousin who just finished their build so I'm seriously considering doing it.

89 turbo Fox

Established Member
I did my own contracting of my current home. It was actually fun. I got lot's of ideas from the subs as they worked on the construction. I saved 20% on the build. I'd do it again at the drop of a hat.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I wouldn't. Bank and the Subs. Those will be the big issues.

Even if you can secure a building loan, what you'll pay in lost time due to "waiting for Subs" will offset your gain. Besides, if you have to ask them back for warranty type stuff, you may be sol.

In fact, I'm in the process of getting hail damage repair work done on our home. I could GC it myself, but a long time bud is a GC. He'll coordinate his subs and get it done right. I also know he'll stand behind all the work.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I wouldn't. Bank and the Subs. Those will be the big issues.

Even if you can secure a building loan, what you'll pay in lost time due to "waiting for Subs" will offset your gain. Besides, if you have to ask them back for warranty type stuff, you may be sol.

In fact, I'm in the process of getting hail damage repair work done on our home. I could GC it myself, but a long time bud is a GC. He'll coordinate his subs and get it done right. I also know he'll stand behind all the work.
Thankfully, no banks will be involved. So that leaves the subs. Quite honestly, of the half dozen GC's I've contacted so far (recommended by a few people I know in construction), I've not been impressed with the communication ability of any of them. I would think if you have a potential customer, you'd at least touch base to let them know progress on quote, or even "hey, this is taking a bit longer to quote than I expected, etc etc"

As it stands right now, one GC I'm OK with, one I'm pretty disappointed in (didn't really ask me very many questions which surprised me), and one I stopped trying to set up a meeting with after initial phone conversation. All I asked was a call back to let me know when he wanted to meet. Crickets. Actually asked twice.

I've got a couple others I may look at as well. Right now, I've got 100% crickets on estimated cost to build, and been talking to GC's for over a month (plans in their hands).

It doesn't bode well before a build is even started if you can't get decent communication.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I did my own contracting of my current home. It was actually fun. I got lot's of ideas from the subs as they worked on the construction. I saved 20% on the build. I'd do it again at the drop of a hat.
Nice! How many sf and how long did it take? Recently?

I'd definitely like ideas from the subs, and plan on treating them well with the hope that they would go a bit "extra" during their time there. You know, stuff like buying them lunch or similar. Just little things to show appreciation.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
The biggest hurdle you will have will be sub contractors. The good ones are going to be booked by general contractors. You will be left overpaying for the bad subs. Building inspectors know jack shit about actual building. They are not going to catch any real problems, and the building department isn't responsible for anything they missed. You had better know what you are doing before you think about building yourself.

Being in the development game, people put way too much stock on city inspectors.

No doubt there are some good guys out there that care, but like you said they aren't responsible for anything missed and depending on how busy the city is, I've seen guys drive by and pass inspections. So, just cause it passes their inspection, doesn't mean it was done right.

Local municipality wants to do site inspections with us(Engineer of Record), they make comments on private property construction but at the end of the day it all falls on us.

jshen

Established Member
Put subs under a time and quality contract AND make them post a bond. Subs won't have crap to sue...just go to your county courthouse and see how many liens are filed against the subs- that will tell you something about them

MG0h3

Established Member
In this day and age, I wouldn’t.

Every contractor I’ve hired (concrete/yard stuff) has been shit.

Last one poured a sidewalk around the perimeter of my house and a patio. Day before the pour a freak snowstorm forecast came in. I said we should hold as he didn’t even know about it and he said he’d already ordered it.

Got like 4” the night after the pour. Didn’t cure. When the snow and ice melted off the roof, it dropped off the eves leaving craters along the whole perimeter sidewalk.

Called him out and told him this is shit. Told you not to pour etc.

His response: it looked ok when I left.

That’s what your subs are going to do and good luck on any sort of warranty for the normal crap the crops up.

But if it’s a generals regular subs, he’ll make them fix it and they will to get more work. They’ll just do a better job from the start for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Guy down the road from us GC’d his own house to save money. They broke ground in November 2018. Received COO and moved in in November of 2022.

Good thing they saved all that money

decipha

Established Member
I've learned the hard way to do all the work yourself. I'm anal though and it has to be perfect and no contractor is going to be as attentive to detail as you are. Its important that you manage it as a full time job and not slack off. I personally do 6am-8pm every day til the jobs complete. Its very critical to set a schedule and stick to it. And its critical you factor in reasonable time for each step of the way. Dont plan anything too far ahead or you'll get overwhelmed. Help from friends family and those you trust goes a long way as well as its quite a task.

I'm currently rebuilding my 800 sq ft "marcello and oswald jfk assn plot room" (31×26) and did all the work myself from demoing the old to engineering and drawing the new, digging pouring framing plumbing bricking electrical fireplace flooring drywall roofing- literally every single thing including the 2 full bathrooms which are each a job in themselves. Money isnt a concern as this is a priceless part of american history but all in all I'd estimate I've already saved over $70k in labor alone. I literally lost sleep dreading the idea of letting someone else work on my house. I sleep great now knowing its done right and its going to be here for another 70 years.

I couldn't find a single contractor that would build my composite beams I spec'd - they all wanted LVLs (which wont last 70 years). And none of them would frame up a traditional hip roof they all wanted to do a gable with pre assembled trusses IMO it seems most contractors these days just don't have the knowledge.

Im a huge proponent of building your own home yourself (so long as youve built homes before) which I would assume by you even asking the question.

tistan

Established Member
Put subs under a time and quality contract AND make them post a bond. Subs won't have crap to sue...just go to your county courthouse and see how many liens are filed against the subs- that will tell you something about them
No sub will do this right now. Still too many problems with supply chains and prices, and too much work available elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread