Thinking about moving to arizona, need help from people who live there

tjs98gt

Established Member
Ive been debating move out to arizona for a long time and the time for me to move is closer and closer. the market in my area(north jersey) completely sucks but the pay is good. the housing market in arizona is amazing as it has been for a while and the current market is only helping.

My questions:
What is the job market like in the automotive field(myself) and the salon/spa field(girlfriend)? Whats the average pay in the automotive field?

Are all of the newer housing communities part of a HOA? What types of fees do you normally pay?

Id just be worried about moving out there and not making enough money to pay the mortgage. On my current pay it wouldnt be a problem though.

Id just hate to dump money into a condo up here when i could own a nice new house out there. I love the area to begin with.

Any other advice for a first time buyer? especially in that area compared to here.

Aerosi665

Daily Driver
Established Member
It's beautiful and there is a TON of affordable housing in the suburbs around phx. Another nice thing about phoenix is that there are countless LARGE freeways that run the entire city. Moving out here from Morristown was a big improvement. :banana:

red03dave

Established Member
Ive been debating move out to arizona for a long time and the time for me to move is closer and closer. the market in my area(north jersey) completely sucks but the pay is good. the housing market in arizona is amazing as it has been for a while and the current market is only helping.

My questions:
What is the job market like in the automotive field(myself) and the salon/spa field(girlfriend)? Whats the average pay in the automotive field?

Are all of the newer housing communities part of a HOA? What types of fees do you normally pay?

Id just be worried about moving out there and not making enough money to pay the mortgage. On my current pay it wouldnt be a problem though.

Id just hate to dump money into a condo up here when i could own a nice new house out there. I love the area to begin with.

Any other advice for a first time buyer? especially in that area compared to here.

Automotive field here is huge, everything from diesel shops to aftermarket stuff. We get Barrett Jackson each year, we don't get rust on cars and we are allowed to drive our cars ll year round. My friend just got a job at International and is making 40K a year just to start off, also first job out of school. So depending on your experience you could do much better. The good thing about AZ is the summer is hell on cars and they always break down.

As far as your girlfriend is concerned she couldn't be in a better place. Arizona and the Phoenix metro area (specifically Scottsdale/Tempe/Phoenix) is littered with spas/resorts. The reason being we don't get snow and we have golf courses in the middle of the winter that are amazing and the food entertainment industry is also quite large here. You would have to take a trip out here really to know what I am trying to explain to you.

I used to be a loan officer and the housing market is declining and a perfect time to buy, not really to sell. Yes there are new neighborhoods going up and yes there are HOA dues, I pay 230 every quarter so it comes out to just under a grand a year, from what I have seen I am about middle of the road (I am not in a gated community). However, if you get a bank buy back or foreclosure property in an established neighborhood there are no HOA's and you get a bigger yard, but the neighborhoods aren't as well kept; so give and take there.

Right now depending on how much home you need and whether you want a townhome or Single Family Residence; homes range from 150K-250K and that is probably gonna get you anywhere from 1200-1800 sq ft. If you need a Realtor or wanna do it yourself, both are easy, and I could set you up with a few different Realtors (if you wanted to go that route). I personally would rather save the money and do it myself. Hit me up if you want to know anything else and good luck!

jlutz

Giggity,Giggity Goo
Established Member
I stumbled across this thread as I've considered moving to the Phoenix area also and have a question. Is there emission testing in AZ? Is it a visual test also like CA? I've done a few mods to my Cobra but have no idea if it'd pass emissions testing and I'd hate to remove parts!

tjs98gt

Established Member
I stumbled across this thread as I've considered moving to the Phoenix area also and have a question. Is there emission testing in AZ? Is it a visual test also like CA? I've done a few mods to my Cobra but have no idea if it'd pass emissions testing and I'd hate to remove parts!

good question. theres no way in hell id be able to pass any type of emission tests in arizona. what type of inspection laws do they have that would be common concerns?

red03dave

Established Member
good question. theres no way in hell id be able to pass any type of emission tests in arizona. what type of inspection laws do they have that would be common concerns?

As long as you have an OBDII car and a tune you are fine at emssions; BUT you have 50/50 chance of whether the idiot at the inspection center physically looks under your car for cats. I have never been caught, only my little brother has out of everyone I know of 20+ people. However; if you have a pre OBDII you can usually register your car in another city close to Phoenix Metro area but happens to be in another county and has lesser smog regulations and that is what most people do if they can't get it legal. Hope this helps

jlutz

Giggity,Giggity Goo
Established Member
Well maybe I'd pass then. Mine's an '03 Cobra with all emission equipment. Just not sure what emissions I'd be putting out with headers, HBH tune, Bassani catted X and the rear O2's turned off. It smells clean to me at least :)

The only thing I hate that I noticed out there was the red light running camera's and the cameras on the 101 loop to catch speeders. DOH! At least you can haul ass going north on 17 where the speed limit is what...75mph? I think most people do 90!

red03dave

Established Member
cool, what about window tints?

Can't do limo but yes you can tint and as long as you aren't driving the typical hoodlum cars (civics, blingy SUV's, or any of the Chrysler camp blinged out) they don't bother you. But they can ticket you but you can get around that by just going to your tint guy saying he fixed it, easy fix.

Well maybe I'd pass then. Mine's an '03 Cobra with all emission equipment. Just not sure what emissions I'd be putting out with headers, HBH tune, Bassani catted X and the rear O2's turned off. It smells clean to me at least :)

The only thing I hate that I noticed out there was the red light running camera's and the cameras on the 101 loop to catch speeders. DOH! At least you can haul ass going north on 17 where the speed limit is what...75mph? I think most people do 90!

I have a '03 GT with '04 swap and basically the same setup. You would pass and if I were you I would take the cats off and only put them on if you go and smog, that is unless they even check for them at the smog station.

And you are right about the Red light and 101 cameras but once you figure out where they are you will learn to avoid them. At least that is what I do. Yes the 17 rocks so does both the 202 loops and the 60.

Hope that helps...

Vigilante

Established Member
The only visual is the is for cats. They shove a mirror board under the car. Check your gas cap and then if your car is 96 or newer they plug you into a computer. No codes, you passed! So you could weld the cat outsides to the pipe and clear all codes and pass with a race tune, but I wouldn't suggest it.

tmm808

SVT Veteran
Established Member
I just moved to Phoenix a few weeks ago and still have yet to register my car here. My car definitely won't pass emissions, but it is my understanding that since I have collector car insurance (Hagerty) that I don't have to mess with it. Is this true?

red03dave

Established Member
I believe you still need to register it as a classic vehicle and get the classic vehicle plate, don't know for sure never knew anyone that had one.

Vigilante

Established Member
The classic/historical plate is avail to only those that are 30+ years old. Also its not until they're 40+ years old that they excuse you from emissions. Finally, you still have to pass emisions one last time(stupid I know) even if its 40+ to get the plate. At least this is what happened when my dad did it for a 65 jeep.

Users who are viewing this thread