thinking about getting a Remington 770

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
So in a few weeks I'll be in the market for a hunting rifle. A cousin of mine has property where wild boars are a pest and need to be taken care of, lol. So I researched and got advice from friends about how the Remington 770 is a great economic rifle to get.
For those of you who own/tried out this rifle, tell me what you think. I found one for just over $400.00 with a scope.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Ok I looked into this... I wanted a 243 for my gf. But I decide not to because of the reviews that I found. Its just cheap made and apparently the higher calibers dont hold together very well. I decided to buy a Marlin with a Nikon Pro staff scope.

pohnjarker

Established Member
Marlin makes great rifles at a good price and so does Savage.

i never liked the 710s so if the 770 is an upgrade to that...id make sure to read a lot of reviews on it...probably not worth the headache.

i know its a little more than you probably want to spend but the Remington 700 really cant be beat...IMO

ETA: 308FTW!!!

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Marlin makes great rifles at a good price and so does Savage.

i never liked the 710s so if the 770 is an upgrade to that...id make sure to read a lot of reviews on it...probably not worth the headache.

i know its a little more than you probably want to spend but the Remington 700 really cant be beat...IMO

ETA: 308FTW!!!

I agree 700 ftw.

I am a big 30-06 fan.

.308 is also a great choice. depending on what you are shooting.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Remington 700.. in pratically any caliber you want will suit your needs, your childrens need, your grandchildrens needs etc.. they don't have the "3 rings of steel" for nothing.. sure it's a push feed instead of a controlled feed rifle, but I've never had a problem with that in all the shooting I've ever done..

you can get a used one for a nice price, top it with a Leupold Rifleman scope and you'll be set for what ever game you want to go after..

YJSONLY

Established Member
I own a Rem. 700 and love it but the gun itself runs 500 ish. How much are you going to be using it? 2 times a year? 20?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Don't overlook Savage if you want economy plus quality.

^ indeed...the Savage Edge (called Axis) for 2011 is a great rifle at an low price $379 at Dicks but i am sure it can be found cheaper. the action is a straight up savage model 10 bolt and it shoots great...the only issue i have with it is the trigger but that be fixed pretty cheaply

savage has come a loooong way in the last 20 years...thier model 12palma is BADASS!

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
So I would have loved to have purchased the Rem 700 but the price was too high for the time being, after all I am new to bolt action rifles. So I pulled the trigger on a much lower price Savage 111 FCX P3. About 85% of the reviews were positive and since I'm amatuer to hog hunting I thought this would suite me best. The only thing I'm concerned about is that users didn't like the scope after 100 yards :shrug: oh well I'm still excited.

Users who are viewing this thread