Thinking about buying a handheld tuner...

CobraKalas

Established Member
My question to you all is, which one is best for me.
Looking for:
pre-loaded tunes for HP/TQ increase
turn off rear 02 sensors
disable traction control
adjust for rear end gear (for future 4.30 install)

I know diablosport predator has the rear end gear and 02s and traction control but doesn't list any preloaded tunes. And SCT X3 lists what I'm looking for but doesn't say if they can turn off the rear 02 sensors.
I'm leaning towards SCT but need to confirm the rear 02s

Jamie R.

Established Member
Whoever will be tuning the car would be the handheld of choice. I have a predator and a x cal 2 and have had both tuning software programs in my car at different times. I personally like the predator better for user friendliness, but a lot of places use sct now. The x cal 2 is currently what I have my car flashed with right now. Good luck with your tuner and whatever handheld you get.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

CobraKalas

Established Member
Whoever will be tuning the car would be the handheld of choice. I have a predator and a x cal 2 and have had both tuning software programs in my car at different times. I personally like the predator better for user friendliness, but a lot of places use sct now. The x cal 2 is currently what I have my car flashed with right now. Good luck with your tuner and whatever handheld you get.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

well, since i dont have any major mods, I will be tuning the car with the user features, I was looking at AmericanMuscle and they have a free custom tunes from SCT for life. So I guess that's a huge plus.

Jamie R.

Established Member
That is pretty nice on the free custom tunes, sounds like a pretty good deal. If you get a wideband in your car where you are able to send them the a/f dataloggs plus the dataloggs from the sct software then they could prolly get that tune so close you would not even have to ever get on a dyno other than just to see a number. Just remeber to ask the sct people if they have fixed the glitch with the '01 computer program with the knock sensors, if you have a '99. It's a deal where you have to turn the sensors on in order to turn them off, when the file is first opened the sensors appear off but they are not. Good luck with the tuning and that does sound like a good deal! I wish I would have found out about that!!

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

cotySRT-4

Established Member
not too long back I "think" dont quote me on this but they was talking about the predator handheld and some ppl were talking about how it was wessing with the exact mileage on the odometer and how it more affected the 01 compared to the 99 or vise versa....

anybody else remeber this post not a while back??

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
not too long back I "think" dont quote me on this but they was talking about the predator handheld and some ppl were talking about how it was wessing with the exact mileage on the odometer and how it more affected the 01 compared to the 99 or vise versa....

anybody else remeber this post not a while back??

I made that post ;-)

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/612335-important-2001-owners-predator.html

Now, because the EPA has been griping about the ability to turn off the rear O2 sensors, Diablo has disabled this ability in the new software update. Cons: you lose the ability to turn the O2's yourself. Pros: you get better tuning ability for everything else.

Since you would probably pay a tuner to write you a custom tune that does whatever you want including shutting the rear O2's, then the Con point becomes moot.

Ken

CobraKalas

Established Member
I made that post ;-)

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/612335-important-2001-owners-predator.html

Now, because the EPA has been griping about the ability to turn off the rear O2 sensors, Diablo has disabled this ability in the new software update. Cons: you lose the ability to turn the O2's yourself. Pros: you get better tuning ability for everything else.

Since you would probably pay a tuner to write you a custom tune that does whatever you want including shutting the rear O2's, then the Con point becomes moot.

Ken
OoOoO, delicious information, guess I'll be buying it!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Buy a used unlocked Predator on Ebay,CList etc..
I can't see paying $400 for one, mine was $160 shipped!
If the tuner isn't married and in nice shape there is NO Advantage buying a new one except the free tunes but still other shops on SVT Performance offer that for reasonable rates! And that's correct the rear O2 feature has been disabled by Diablo a couple software revisions ago!

CobraKalas

Established Member
Well I purchased the SCT X3/SF3 with free custom tunes for life from American Muscle, should arrive by tues or wed with free 2day guaranteed shipping. cant' wait

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
i was thinking about doing that myself...keep us updated as to how their tune works for you...it is almost too good of a deal to be true...free tunes for life?...i hope its as great of a deal as it sounds i'll be jumping on board if it is

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
lethal performance sent me a SCT X3 w/ a preloaded tune to disable the rear o2 sensors plus any mods. very fast shipping and a even better price......

CobraKalas

Established Member
well, got the tuner today and ran the program, traction control is permanently turned off and my rear O2s are now off which got rid of my check engine light. dont feel TOO much of a SOTP feel but all i have is an intake and exhaust. overall, happy with the buy, and look forward to updating the tune for 4.30s in the near future

Users who are viewing this thread