Think I should sell or keep her?

01Lowboy

SPTZCLNT
Established Member
Lately I have been up in the air about selling my cobra. Just got done with school and moved back home. I could really use the money to move out and get a new place as well as buy a cheaper car just to commute in back and forth in and out of D.C. for work. The cobra's my daily and i cant afford 2 cars or really see myself driving it in and out of D.C. every day either putting all that abuse and miles on it. With all this said I honestly don't how much i could get for my car or whether or not i should even do it. I'm welcome too all thoughts and opinions. Mods are in my sig too btw.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
dude you got way too much into it to get your money back. It's a buyer's market right now too. Why can't you afford two cars? It's only $10 a month more on my insurance to have my 2000 S-10 Xtreme full coverage (comp and collision, etc.) I say get a beater honda or something that you can work on and gets decent milage, do liabiliy only if you have high rates for whatever reason, and keep the car. That's what I'm doing this winter. I really don't understand how getting outa school and getting a job means you'll have less money???:dw:

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
keep it.. just dont spend anymore on it.. youll regret it if you do sell it...

+1

unless you have lost any love for your car, you should keep it. You will lose out on so much money and time if you sell it and then someday you will be wanting it back.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
With the economy as shitty as it is and the fact that our cars don't sell for shit, you're probably not going to get as much money as you've spent on mods for the entire car. Plus you'll regret it forever so definitely keep that rocket ship you've built. These cars can take the miles, mine's up to 160,000+ and still runs perfect, and we get such decent gas mileage that it doesn't make sense to sell a 25 mpg car to get a 30 mpg Honduh.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Man I will say that yours is one of my all-time favorite red ones. Hell I'd even consider trying to buy it if you got rid of it. I've thought of selling mine a few times but just can't let it go. You could get a great DD for $2500. That's not much if you have a steady job n stuff. This is one of those things that only you can decide. I say 50% Sell it and 50% keep it haha.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
"MAN UP" Keep it, and park it.

Great advice from someone that sold his cause he couldn't afford to do what he wanted to do to it!

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Is it paid for?

I'd likely remove the turbo kit and all other significant modifications, sell them separately, and then sell the car in as near stock condition as possible.

01Lowboy

SPTZCLNT
Established Member
dude you got way too much into it to get your money back. It's a buyer's market right now too. Why can't you afford two cars? It's only $10 a month more on my insurance to have my 2000 S-10 Xtreme full coverage (comp and collision, etc.) I say get a beater honda or something that you can work on and gets decent milage, do liabiliy only if you have high rates for whatever reason, and keep the car. That's what I'm doing this winter. I really don't understand how getting outa school and getting a job means you'll have less money???:dw:

Never said i'd have less money.

With the economy as shitty as it is and the fact that our cars don't sell for shit, you're probably not going to get as much money as you've spent on mods for the entire car. Plus you'll regret it forever so definitely keep that rocket ship you've built. These cars can take the miles, mine's up to 160,000+ and still runs perfect, and we get such decent gas mileage that it doesn't make sense to sell a 25 mpg car to get a 30 mpg Honduh.

Getting what i spent for mods into the car was never a plan i had. And my mileage isn't exactly 25mpg either, lol

Is it paid for?

I'd likely remove the turbo kit and all other significant modifications, sell them separately, and then sell the car in as near stock condition as possible.

I know I would be losing money on the sale and that's no news to me. I'd like to get as close to 14k as possible for the car with the motor, turbo, seats, stereo, etc.

Smoked SVT

Established Member
I was just thinking about selling mine and it was a tough decision. I put it on a couple forums for sell and ended up backing out. Im ordering new wheels and tires tomorrow so Im def going to keep it now. I know I would regret selling mine sooo bad. When I sold my 96 gt I regretted it for a year and a half til I bought this car back in Jan. I was driving an 01 grand cherokee lmtd all wheel drive v8 70 miles round trip to work. When I decided to sell the jeep to get another mustang I first bought a 98 Contour for $1500 with 89,000 miles on it. I new I couldn't have another mustang DD b/c of gas and b/c I tend to break things quite often, so I had to man up and get a beater. Believe me, this was very hard for me b/c Im 20 and Ive always had very nice cars that have all been v8's (my last 3 before the contour were an 06 mustang gt, 02 silverado 4 door on 37's, and an 01 GC Lmtd) and I hated it at first b/c it had crappy white paint, two broken side mirrors, extremely hazed over headlights, and a few other minor things. Since then I painted it (black of course), painted the hub caps charcoal, Installed brand new headlights, installed brand new side mirrors, and fixed all of the minor things (about $800 worth). Now I really dont mind driving it and I get 35 mpg or about 420-430 mi to a tank. I just washed and waxed the mustang today and man Im glad im keeping it b/c cleaned up it just looks soooo good. Sorry for the long post but Im going through the same thing and I think you should think long and hard about this b/c if you are like me you will regret selling so bad.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
Tim I've contemplated this as well over the last 2 months - but IMHO you have too much invested to get a decent asking price. Couple that with the HORRIBLE sellers market and it s just not worth it for an extra 3 to 4 grand to throw into a DD. It's just too much fun.

That's what I came up with for my own reason to NOT sell too.

01Lowboy

SPTZCLNT
Established Member
Yes you did.

I meant I could use the money to put towards a new place. I could def afford alot of stuff if stayed at home living with mom, lol.

You drove her in the winter????? Or you mean you presently can't afford two cars.

Yes sir. This car's been my daily since last Feb.

if you sell part it out...that way you will get more money outta it

It's not all that important to me to get the absolute biggest amount of money I can by selling my car. Not gonna pull the car apart and take out the stereo, turbo, seats, and odds and ends to make a few hundred bucks more.

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
"MAN UP" Keep it, and park it.

Great advice from someone that sold his cause he couldn't afford to do what he wanted to do to it!

And someone who also just graduated, got a job, etc. and kept the Cobra but bought a daily. I'm still at home for the time being, but if I wanted to could afford to move out WITH both cars. (I'll be straight commission in two years, so I need to save what I can now). As stated above, insurance isn't much more for another car (or worst case, you literally park the Cobra, never drive it, and drop the insurance on it). I kept full coverage on both cars, and I pay $70/month for the Cobra, My Cobra is paid for, so I put the daily on a credit card with 0% and just make the minimum payment ($110), so it's only costing me $180/month for the second car (Actually about $200 if you include maintenance, but you get the point). I should point out that while carrying a balance like that on a credit card is nice because of the low payment (as opposed to a conventional auto loan) it does hurt your credit score (because it's above 40% of the total credit line on the credit card). No doubt it will be tough for a little while, but just try to think a few years down the road, if you sell it you'll miss it, and even if you have the money/time for another one, it will be much harder to find a clean SN95 to build.

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
Haha wow. Props for driving a turbocharged rear wheel beast in the elements and not wrecking her. You must have some pretty ace driving skills. (not being sarcastic)

Users who are viewing this thread