Thermostat housings!!

Steve@Tasca

Hey guys, Just wanted to post these up.

As we all know both the SVT and Zetec have issues with thermostat housings and after replacing mine twice I did some research and found these and they are a marked improvement.

They're both older designs by Ford, the one that fits the SVT came from an old Contour and the one for the Zetec is from an early production 2000 Focus. The housings are still plastic but it's a denser material and they don't have the bonded lower portion as the originals do that's prone to cracking.

The inner lip that retains the o-ring between housing and head is thicker and stronger and the SVT version also features a screw in sensor and plug which does away with the issue of leaking o-rings.

I've had one of these on my car for several years now without even the hint of any leaks and it's a simple bolt on, plug and play mod.

Here's the pics, This tends to be the primary point of failure on both stock housings,
IMAG2660.jpg

Stock housing on the left, stronger housing on the right,
P1010020.jpg

Stock on the right, stronger housing on the left,

P1010026.jpg

These are closeups of the SVT housing, the Zetec is virtually identical minus the sensor and plug holes,
P1010102.jpg

P1010100.jpg

P1010101.jpg

SVT kit,

P1010098.jpg

Zetec kit is basically the same minus the sensor.

-Steve

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
As a suggestion,

Maybe include the "extra" sensor or the brass plug for the bottom port opening since its not used on the SVTF.

Surprisingly, it was difficult, I went to four different hardware stores w/ the housing tracking down a plug that fits the bottom port.

Just a thought-

I would have been willing to shell out a few dollars to avoid wasting time & gas driving around town.....

Steve@Tasca

As a suggestion,

Maybe include the "extra" sensor or the brass plug for the bottom port opening since its not used on the SVTF.

Surprisingly, it was difficult, I went to four different hardware stores w/ the housing tracking down a plug that fits the bottom port.

Just a thought-

I would have been willing to shell out a few dollars to avoid wasting time & gas driving around town.....

Trust me, I've thought about it but it's just never worked out for various reasons.

I've also never been to an actual hardware store that didn't have at least one style of that brass plug in their plumbing section.

When I bought mine the Ace Hardware had them with hex heads, square heads and allen heads.

-Steve

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Thanks for the info, Steve. Mine was replaced last year when the car was being inspected. But good to know what to use if I need to again.

acbauza

I am picking up a SVTF today with 150k on the clock. Are these housings still available?

Thanks,

Anthony
2003 Red SVTF - My new daily and temp track car
2013 Focus ST2 ST "Super" Blue - Sorry to see you go. It's still FS.

Steve@Tasca

I am picking up a SVTF today with 150k on the clock. Are these housings still available?

Thanks,

Anthony
2003 Red SVTF - My new daily and temp track car
2013 Focus ST2 ST "Super" Blue - Sorry to see you go. It's still FS.

Yes they are, we try to keep all the parts for the kits on hand at all times.

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread