Thermostat & Cooling System: Reische Performance

2K4 SVT

Established Member
This looks like a great product! Before my purchase, I have a quick question regarding running this setup in a Utah winter. My cobra is my daily driver so it runs during the 100+ degree summers, but also during the 20-30 degree winters. Am I going to run into any issues running your 170 thermostat in these cold temps?

Thanks in advance.

-Mark

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think you'll have any problems... the latest version has improved cold weather performance plus I haven't heard of any issues in the 4 years we've been making these. The Reische 4D unit is essentially identical to the OEM Motorcraft thermostat for the Terminator with a 10 degree lower opening temp.

Last edited:

2K4 SVT

Established Member
I don't think you'll have any problems... the latest version has improved cold weather performance plus I haven't heard of any issues in the 4 years we've been making these. The Reische 4D unit is essentially identical to the OEM Motorcraft thermostat for the Terminator with a 10 degree lower opening temp.

Great! Thanks for the quick reply. I'll get one of these ordered up!

-Mark

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
My car runs better than ever. The heat doesn't get excessive and takes a little longer to get to the center of the gauge. Awesome mod!

VADER*

*the original
Established Member
I have a dumb question. I bought one of these and installed it, did the burp procedure but was thinking after, are these meant to fit in a groove. I didn't see one, but just wanted to check before I drive it .

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a dumb question. I bought one of these and installed it, did the burp procedure but was thinking after, are these meant to fit in a groove. I didn't see one, but just wanted to check before I drive it .
There is a lip inside the housing that will properly seat the thermostat once you tighten the 2 pieces of the housing together. If the housing doesn't leak you have installed it correctly :beer:

SVTDice

Established Member
I installed one of these a little while ago. My Terminator runs fantastic and cool. Thanks for this product! Nice work!

SBVERT03

Established Member
Bought mine yesterday. Looking forward to getting it installed this weekend!

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
Great mod. Brought my temps down considerably and only took 5 mins once I jacked up the car.

Rambro

Established Member
Are there any tricks to installing the stat to where you will lose minimal coolant?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Are there any tricks to installing the stat to where you will lose minimal coolant?
There are a few who have claimed to crimp off the hoses connected to the thermostat housing with wood-working clamps but you will need a specific type of clamp in order to be successful. I think it's better to look at it as a good opportunity to flush the system and get some fresh coolant in there.

DE07GT

Established Member
I keep having problems with the thermostat not opening and I'm not sure what the cause is. Thermostat acted normal for 9 months and then decided to randomly stay closed one time. Went through the burp procedure again and it was fine for 7 more months before it did it again. After this, it did it again 2 weeks later. I've burped it every single time to the point that the system was void of air pockets. At this point, it will do it randomly and often so I can't drive the car anymore.

Every time it happens, it is only the first time the thermostat should open after startup. If the thermostat opens or is open at this point, it won't have a problem as long as the car is running. If it overheats instead, the side of the thermostat housing toward the radiator is stone cold while the other side is hot.

I have an aluminum reservoir with a traditional style cap and overflow. When it overheats, coolant is lost through the overflow. Tried another cap and ended up with the same result.

Any help would be appreciated.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I keep having problems with the thermostat not opening
Well, an air pocket in the system will give similar symptoms as a faulty thermostat. If an air pocket gets down to the thermostat it will not get enough heat to open up and likely that's what's happening since burping the system temporarily corrects the issue. Give me a call on Monday and we'll see if we can do some troubleshooting.

jdm99svt

jdm99svt
Established Member
I finally got around to putting mine in this morning (bought it last summer lol). Immediately noticed it running cooler and staying that way even as the days heat came on

eva4esa9.jpg

^this is driving on the freeway for about 30 minutes on my way home tonight with outside temp right at 82 degrees and with the A/C on too! Previously it would be up around 187-19x!!!!! Thank you for an awesome product and great, detailed info on bleeding the air from the system!

DE07GT

Established Member
Well, an air pocket in the system will give similar symptoms as a faulty thermostat. If an air pocket gets down to the thermostat it will not get enough heat to open up and likely that's what's happening since burping the system temporarily corrects the issue. Give me a call on Monday and we'll see if we can do some troubleshooting.

Haven't had the time to deal with the car with work and class, but I'll try to find a time after work sometime this week.

Users who are viewing this thread