The world just seems less bright now.

Recon

Established Member
This will be a long post, and I’m sorry but I skip around a lot. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, mods move it to the right one if necessary.

I lost the greatest man I have ever known in my life, my grandfather. It’s been 4 weeks since his passing and I’ve only been able to tell a few about how hard it is. Maybe this is part of the morning process, I don’t know, but I just hope this helps.
I find myself constantly wishing I could’ve seen him one last time before his passing. It was early in the year, before the virus started, was the last time I saw him in person. He lived at 24 hour care nursing home, and they were the first to be off limits. I got to talk to him on FaceTime, thanks to a nurse, only a handful of times after we weren’t allowed to see him. Something that’s difficult to bear is I had two chances to see him. I wanted to but my thoughts were I had the virus before and they wouldn’t let me see him. I dealt with people constantly and that furthered the suspension I wouldn’t be permitted to see him. They would only allow two people and you had to be in hazmat suits. Now I wish I would’ve seen him just one last time. Something that haunts me. They believed he died by complications of pneumonia. He was 92.
I can remember when I was little that this man seemed indestructible. He was a body builder after all. While also being a full time English teacher at a highschool. His size wasn’t as impressive as the photos of his youth but he looked pretty good for his age. He never competed due to his thick skin, he didn’t have the definition, but he had the size. But as gentle and kind as his heart was you’d never guess it by his stature.
He had a love for his fellow man that I have yet to see rivaled. He wouldn’t have known any of you but he would still give you the shirt off his back without a second thought. In my entire existence I can’t recall a time I’ve ever seen this man being ugly to anyone, even when joking around. And everyone that knew him or had him as a teacher had not one bad thing to say about him. If he could help you he would. He had an ironclad belief in honesty. He would tell you the truth regardless of if it made him look like a fool. If the truth would hurt you he would try to be as gentle as possible. It would be followed by encouragement to do better or the right thing. I don’t recall him ever bringing others down but rather lifting them up.
As I’ve grown older, through our conversations, I quickly came to realize the wisdom this man had was absolutely astonishing. I spoke to him about some stories of my 96 year old neighbor has shared with me about his experiences in WW2 (merchant seaman, who transported supplies to the armed forces over seas). Nearly every time my grandfather would make comments about my neighbors experiences; it would cause me to look at it in ways I never would’ve on my own. He did this with pretty much everything we discussed. I made the comment that even with 20 lifetimes I couldn’t achieve his level of wisdom.
Even with the loss of my grandmother he never really showed his sadness. You knew it was there but he wouldn’t show you. All the nurses at the nursing home said he was a joy to take care of. He was always positive and thankful. Even when he had every right to be upset, ugly, and mean; he never was. He said once or twice that there will be only one word on his gravestone, integrity. If he said he was going to do something it was etched in stone to happen. Whether it be he wanted something, help you, go to a place, become better; it didn’t matter. I don’t know many who could say that about themselves.
As a teacher he had many students over his decades of teaching. After teaching his students during the day he would assist adults in their education to acquire a GED. I asked him about his students one time, and asked if he could recall having any geniuses in his class. His response was if they were geniuses I wouldn’t know if they were. There were some good and some bad but most did well. He would also paint buildings in the summer with assistance from other fellow teachers. In his retirement he would write short stories about anything. If he saw a bug that peaked his interest, a table cloth with an interesting design, a peculiar looking tree, experiences in his life, it didn’t matter, if he thought about it he wrote it. He’s my favorite author. I heard about one of his students asking him about wanting to start lifting weights. He asked why he didn’t ask the PE teacher as he was large like my grandfather. The student said he did and the PE teacher shrugged it off like it would be a wast of time. Maybe it was arrogance of the PE teacher? The student said he thought my grandfather wouldn’t turn him away. My grandfather said no he wouldn’t.
He was an avid church goer, and even had a license to preach if it called for it. His preacher tried to find him for the better part of a year since his arrival at the nursing home. Something I found comfort in, as he loved him as much as we do. He could’ve had almost any girl on this planet he wanted but he choose my grandmother. Who had two boys at the time they met, my father and my uncle. My grandmother wouldn’t let their biological father be in their lives even after they were able to drive to see him on their own. She was against it. I don’t believe it was absolutely intentional as she was on medication for many, many, many years that changed who she was. So this man was their father and raised them as his own. It was to the point my father and uncle called him, dad. We are as much his as he is ours. He never discriminated between my father and uncle and his two daughters he had with my grandmother. He told my father that he wanted him to be head of his estate as he was the oldest. Not once was there any discrimination, even amongst his grandchildren and the later generations.
He was subject to elderly abuse on multiple accounts, but with his dementia he couldn’t remember what happened. It took a while but he started catching on to what was going on. The bank wanted him prosecute one of the family members, but he wouldn’t. Though he was disappointed in what happened; he didn’t hesitate to deny the banks attempts at prosecution.
While he was in the nursing home we got to speak alone every now and then. I’m grateful I got tell him how I truly felt. That even though we weren’t related by blood; he is as much my grandfather as my biological ones. And if I become half the man he is, that would be more than enough. Though only four people on this planet know this he was my inspiration to write my own story. He was always uplifting and encouraged you to pursue your interests.
Towards the end he’s demeanor started changing. He started talking less and less. I was with him one time and while the nurse was checking on him he made a comment. “I’m ready to die.” I’ve been bullied and insulted when I was young, but this is the single sentence that was more painful than anything I’ve ever heard. It was painful to see such a man who you thought was invincible, start wearing down and loosing himself. I keep trying to tell myself that he is with my grandmother in eternity, and that’s truly what he wanted. To be with my grandmother again. It’s hard. I’ve admitted I was a piece of crap for a portion of my life and well one day I had enough of it. I truly believe the greatest blessing in my life is to have known such a man who now I’ve tried to model myself after. I struggle with it constantly but to be as good as him is what I want to be.
The world lost someone so special and good but heaven gained one of the brightest angels. Gone but never forgotten and much loved. Rest In Peace grandpa, I love you so much.
317f3320faf1123bc9734d8e2cdb9426.jpg

Robert William Crabtree
June 19, 1928 - October 15, 2020

Pick your poison.

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry for your loss. Death is always a hard thing to deal with. I lost my mother and my aunt just 3 months before my son was born and it was and is difficult. The pain will subside some but it will always be close to the surface. Im sure one of us will always lend an ear if you need it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry for your loss. I lost my Grandpa in 2017 from Alzheimer’s and don’t wish it on anyone it’s a terrible disease. He too was very smart, a vet, did a lot for me. Taught me how to drive a manual when my Dad got frustrated with me. Took me to work with him when I was young so many good memories. Dealing with death or a loss of someone you love is difficult. I still think about him a lot, I’m thankful he isn’t suffering anymore but I miss him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry to hear about your grandfather. Seems like a very genuine man!

I've had a decent share of death in the last year. My father in law passed away Nov of last year, then my grandpa in February, my aunt in June, a friend who was 42, and most recent a very close child hood friend who passed away in October.

He was in Minnesota visiting. He's been living in Texas. We were suppose to get together and go golfing. Well he was out golfing with his dad and had a stroke. 39 years old. So sad, I'm struggling with this one.

I also have a friend that lives across the street from me. He's 42 and has stage 3 lung cancer. We've been trying to help them with little things. My wife will make lasagna for them once in awhile among other things.

I come to realize how precious life is, and don't take a day for granted.

Hang in there!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Great story and Robert certainly sounds like he was an amazing man and role model. Glad you had him.

Someone who has unwavering integrity is a true demonstration of “character”. America needs more men like your grandfather.

Great story, thanks for the read. There are nuggets there that all of us can learn from and aspire to; myself included.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Grandpas are the best. Sorry man. :( I know mine is slipping away. I almost choke up thinking about it. For the last 4 years I've flown home for his birthday every year to have dinner with him. Covid canceled that this year. His home still isn't allowing visitors. Hopefully things will be better by March and I can go have a pizza with him.

Try to remember the good times. I know everytime I see my Grandpa he always says, "I sure had fun with your grandkids!" So as much as you appreciate him, I'm sure he appreciated you too.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
I understand the pain of your loss, however to the contrary, this story has brightened my day and will brighten others. That I am sure of. Your Grandfather's spirit and teachings live on.
Godspeed Mr. Crabtree.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Is no fun growing older, because you see everyone else growing older also. We don’t get to keep the ones we live in our lives forever, but when they leave an impression like you grandpa has on you, then they live on after they’re physical being is no longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Connor, Sorry for your loss. I know it's hard now, but remember all the good as you mentioned in your post and do not dwell on the last days and the difficult time you had in seeing him. It wasn't your fault COVID showed up and limited your ability to see him. He lived for 92 years and sounds like he had a great life.

I was an Army brat and did not live near my grandparents. So, when I got to see them it was great. I remember my grandpa letting me drive his Gremlin. It was red and had a V8. It was awesome driving it, especially as a 16 year old kid. My other grandfather was a mechanic and gave me my first toolbox full of tools. I used those tools to work on my bike and then on my go-kart and eventually my own car. Now look at me building my 65 Mustang from the ground up.

I think we have fond memories of grandparents since they are older and have more patience for kids who do not live with them or drive them crazy LOL. My grandparents taught me a lot and showed me a lot of love even though I only seen them sporadically throughout my life.

I know it's hard right now brother, but you have something very special that you can always cherish and that is your memories and the time you did get to spend with him.

08mojo

Established Member
Thank you for sharing the stories, it is great to read about genuinely good people that have touched so many lives in a positive manner. The morning process is tough, cherish your loved ones and know that time heals all.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Sorry for your loss, sounds like a great man. My wife went through something similar a few months ago. She was very close with her grandmother, way closer than she is to her mother. She had a stroke and was eventually transferred to Hospice, my wife was never allowed to visit at the hospital and at hospice she was allowed one chance to see her. They had just implemented new covid restrictions and they said we had 1 afternoon to visit and after that only 1 person could stay and they would stay there until she passed. My wife was really torn up only getting to see her for a short period of time before her passing but at least she did get that last chance to say goodbye.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wonderful tribute to what sounds like a wonderful man. You were blessed to have him in your life. My condolences.
I read your post, started to browse to the next one, and went back to yours. It reflects my own feelings about @Recon's loss of his grandpa.

@Recon, I can easily see how close you were to your grandpa and how much he meant to you. I can also easily imagine how much you meant to him. You were SO fortunate to have had such a wonderfully influential man in your life. Someone you loved, and someone who loved you. You have a ton of wonderful memories of him. Think about writing as many of those memories in a journal as you can. They'll then always be where you can read them, remember, and smile. You won't ever forget him, for sure, but a journal keeps the majority of those wonderful memories together, and alive, for you to treasure for a lifetime. You're a blessed man, sir! I'm so sorry for your loss, but happy you were so special to each other.

He brightened your world, and you brightened his!

quad

Established Member
Sorry for your loss Recon!

My grandfather was my hero and we lost him in 1983 to a heart attack @ 76. He was in the hospital for a week. He would have been 113 years old now if he was still alive today.

The day before he died I ran a 1200m race and won it. The race was held at the University of Johannesburg Athletics Track and in the final stretch there was a clear view of the hospital where he stayed. This gave me inspiration to run as hard and fast as I could and I ended up winning.

And then the next day my mom came back from the hospital with the sad news. Fortunately I did get to see him in the hospital and I was actually with him when he had the heart attack. He was throwing up and my dad and I drove with him to the hospital. He smoked and drank a lot of wine and could have lived longer if he took better care of himself. But he was still my hero regardless. My sister and I loved listening to stories he told us.

The bridge near the stadium was also the scene of a disaster 2 years later when a school bus drove into Westdene Dam and 39 school children drowned and 2 more died in the hospital. They are all buried together in the same cemetery as my grandfather and grandmother.

Westdene dam disaster - Wikipedia

bus-crane-6.jpg

funeral-4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread