The Trip

thelastsumurai

Established Member
With my 71st birthday looming, I thought I would do part of my bucket list. With my brand new 2016 Oxford White EcoBoost with PP. The stateside part of the list is driving all over the country. So I packed up and went on a 14,000 mile, 45 day trip. I had lists of places I wanted to see. And roads I wanted to drive. All I needed was a copilot/navigator. I put the question to my wife’s little sister and she accepted (I’m a Widower). With her youngest daughter in college, She’s a freebird . And readily accepted the challenge as my navigator. I had my oil changed at my local Dealer (free) 5-20 semi syn with 728 miles on the car. Drove to upstate NY and picked up my sis. First stage of the trip 27.6 mpg. 1060 miles. Two days later we were on our way to Maine. Got to Maine and pigged out on sea food. Drove up to Cadillac Mountain, in Acadia National Park, it’s the Highest Mountain on the East Coast. Did some Hiking. Next day drove out to Niagara Falls, did the speed limits 65 & 70 mph, and got an impressive 31.5 mpg. On to the R&R Hall of Fame in Cleveland, got the obligatory T shirts. On to Dallas, TX to see my brother Jack, and go to his daughters graduation from Texas Tech, as well as pig out for a week. While in Dallas I visited Big Worm Graphics. I got their 8.5” OTT blue stripes; I also added Red pinstripes which made it pop ($420.00). Looks great on my Oxford White EcoBoost. Fielded compliments on the car for the rest of the trip. One of the highlights of that second leg was the long road down the side of a Mountain into Sedona, AZ. Some of sharpest curves I’ve ever seen. The EB with PP just ate up the road. Sedona was everything my friends told me, and more than I expected. Las Vegas was a blast. We took pics of ourselves in front of the white chapel and texted them to everyone in the family. Didn’t answer texts for two days and drove the family crazy LOL. At Las Vegas my avg mpg had come down to 27.3 very nice, considering after Cleveland we never did the speed limit again. On to Hollywood and vine. Ehhhh. My copilot wanted to see the stars. She did. On to Fishermen’s Wharf, San Frisco. We ate some good sea food. Got some *****ty caricatures. To this point the EcoBoost was flawless 27.3 mpg the oil level was the same as when I left the dealership. Leaving San Francisco I was stoked to drive 101 North to the Seattle Needle. Talk about high speed thrills I met up with two 13 and a 14 GT, a Camaro, and a Charger all new cars. The Camaro was at the head of the pack for a while. This Oriental kid with a 14 v6 pulled ahead and passed the Camaro, followed by the rest of us. The Charger couldn’t take the heat and fell back LOL. OK so now were all driving over our heads down this Mountain road, when I notice a mini van coming up behind us. WTF He catches up with us goes through us in about six curves. And that was the last we saw of him. A few of us got off the road to fuel up and he instantly became a legend. Got to Seattle and was getting 27.3 mpg. This car is impressive for a 35K car. By the time we got back to Florida we had 11,000 miles on the oil. Dropped it out took a sample for Blackstone and replaced it with Mobil 1 EP. Then my brother called and said he missed us so we went to Orlando for a week.
Brought my s.i.l home, and in the end I have 14,732 highway miles 27.2 mpg for entire trip... I don’t know how much I spent on gas, don’t care. Got closer to my sister in law and found out how smart she is (scary smart). And more than a little sexy….

thelastsumurai

Established Member
yea it was totally better than I expected. Only problem was that I developed a vibration half way through the trip and started getting worse when I when driving around town for the last month. Turned out to be my drive shaft. Getting it replaced as soon as it arrives at the dealer.

thelastsumurai

Established Member
IDK, I think i'm going to keep this car rather stock except for exhaust and a Ford ProCal tune which should be out within the next two weeks. I love the way this car handles with the PP and the light EB engine. No suspension mods are planned for the first time. If they put the 3.5 from the Taurus/F150 in within the next two years i'll buy that. Then perhaps another trip around the US.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread