The tick, the stall, redux......

Cobra'03

Established Member
OK - weighing in with my latest anecdotes on topic:

1) My car was built July '02. I have not had the tick. However, i just switched out the "winter storage oil" (Pennzoil 5w20) for Spring/Summer fun viscosity- Amsoil Series 2000 0w30 per my previous recommendations. Mechanical noises seem less. Some have reported more noise as a result of synoil - not the case for me. Mobil1 filter.

2) The stall. My Service Advisor called me to have my PCM re-flashed yet again. He said there have been several releases according to Oasis. The current calibration is "24.7". I had yesterday removed my AR Diablo chip. So far not stalls.

I noticed that the car tends to hold RPM longer now after dumping the clutch - I am not seeing the fast drop to 500 RPM typical of the stall scenario. It could be the calibration, it could be the AR chip or the combination of both. In a few weeks I will be putting the chip back in - if it stalls, next step is to call the Rick-man. I did not see as much of a power drop off compared to "the chipped PCM" compared to previous calibrations.

My base idle RPM is 675. Idle is smooth. Idle drops to about 650 when the fans cut in.

I am more and more convinced that the following factors are part of the Stall Syndrome:
1) Warmer temps
2) Fan running more often, pulling RPM down even more than usual
3) Possible low-throttle "lean" condition that the system does not correct when you dump the clutch - it either catches or it doesn't.
4) CAI interaction and sensor location (my MAF is at 12 o'clock now).

BTW, I have the AR CAI, Magnaflow X-pipe and CB.

MY SA seems genuinely interested in making sure the stall is corrected - he knows Ford, and knew that if my var was not up to current calibration, they would not pay any mind if he called to say "customer car still stalling". If it stalls again, he elevates it and is loaded for bear. That is apparently how the game is played (same as everything else).

Interested in any other experiences who may have had the 24.7 (maybe it is a code for 24 BY 7?).

Users who are viewing this thread