~THE TICK~ (and 3 other vid clips)

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
.... and no the irony of it being a blue car versus a little blue super hero dude ain't frickin funny!:gt: :burn: :bash:

4 clips here.

Click [PLAY THIS VIDEO] and a window will pop-up. Then click the Or, to download the video to your PC in its original format click here.

Last edited:

Moonlight96GT

Established Member
Cam Cap retorqing? Is this a known problem with car? Because we noticed some ticking in the motor or ours too, but it could be normal, not that loud.

Good luck!

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Originally posted by Moonlight96GT
Cam Cap retorqing? Is this a known problem with car? Because we noticed some ticking in the motor or ours too, but it could be normal, not that loud.

Good luck!

The tick I hear is like a tap. Can't hear it at the top of the motor, but you can hear it fine at ground level. Sounds like you are tapping a penny on the fender. It's very loud and noticable. Monday I get my new hood latch. I'm gonna be asking about that tick. It only does it when the motor is nice and warm.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
I have to chime in here as well, I have a noise. It does not sound like a penny hitting anything, it is more like the sound of pressure being released and it happens in all 6 gears from my street to the interstate.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Originally posted by byevette
I have to chime in here as well, I have a noise. It does not sound like a penny hitting anything, it is more like the sound of pressure being released and it happens in all 6 gears from my street to the interstate.

That's probably the boost bypass valve dumping boost pressure during gear changes.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by Randee of the Redwoods

That's probably the boost bypass valve dumping boost pressure during gear changes.

I assume this is something I should have checked out immediately? Forgive my ignorance, is this a bad thing?
There are so many of these problems, that did not exist with my '98.

Grey03

Established Member
Hey guys, I got my car back yesterday from the dealer and they fixed the cam caps, which gets rid of the tick. There are several threads about the tick, but it is something that you should get fixed or at least looked at. My car was only at the dealer for one day. Runs better than ever, I don't know what they did but my car seems to have even more power. Maybe I just missed it. :)

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
Hey Grey03, and those others who have had this tick,
Was your tick audible while you're driving down the road? I can hear a tick when I'm parked next to a wall or in my garage, but I can't hear it when I'm driving. How loud was your tick? Reason I ask is I get more honest information from these boards than it seems I get from the service department.
Thanks in advance!
Pete

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by p3pete
Hey Grey03, and those others who have had this tick,
Was your tick audible while you're driving down the road? I can hear a tick when I'm parked next to a wall or in my garage, but I can't hear it when I'm driving. How loud was your tick? Reason I ask is I get more honest information from these boards than it seems I get from the service department.
Thanks in advance!
Pete

My tick sounds exactly how you describe it, get yours checked out man. Mine goes in Tuesday for the treatment.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Originally posted by byevette

I assume this is something I should have checked out immediately? Forgive my ignorance, is this a bad thing?
There are so many of these problems, that did not exist with my '98.

No problem. That's just the way blowers and manual trannies work together. When you let off the gas, the blower is still turning making boost so a valve opens to release excess boost pressure so the motor can wind down. That's the best I can explain it.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by Randee of the Redwoods

No problem. That's just the way blowers and manual trannies work together. When you let off the gas, the blower is still turning making boost so a valve opens to release excess boost pressure so the motor can wind down. That's the best I can explain it.

Thank you very much, I will no longer worry about this. Now I have to deal with the alignment pulling to the right.

Users who are viewing this thread