The things I put up with...

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I got the call to pick my baby up the other day, they replaced the input shaft, pilot sleve, clutch etc.. So I rushed to the dealer to pick it up. Washed, detailed.... nice :-D . So I jump in to drive off. I push the clutch in and WTF!! :cuss: The pedal falls to the floor. The cable came off and they had the adj spun all the way out. I didn't say anything after all it was warranty work. So I fix it in the service lane and press on. The clutch felt like a GT clutch and apparently Ford revised the clutch again as I verified all the part #'s used. Fast forward to this Sunday. I'm loafing along in 3rd at 30mph and THUD!! What the heck was that. I look to see if I hit someting but nothings amiss except..... chirp...chirp...chirp...chirp. Yep you guessed it the TOB has already started squealing. Pretty sad, another clutch dead and I'd burned less than a 1/4 tank of gas. Needless to say the tech started crying when I pulled up again. Seems the LT's really kicked his tail. Any guesses where my car will be come the new year :rolleyes:

stang99

You are the fastest clutch killer in the West. for sure. Funny, when Vista took my car on trade and gave it back, the clutch adjuster was screwed all the way into the firewall when I picked up the car. A week later the cable was down to two strands. I am sure that being totally unadjusted was the cause. It seems that the SVT Certified Ford mechanic, who was an idiot, attempted to duplicate the stock clutch's pedal action by loosing the adjuster. You'd think that any competent mechanic would have enough talent to figure out how the adjustable quadrant should function. It really makes you wonder about the ability of any of the dealer mechanics.
Hope you get everything back soon, but, I guess that you will not be at the Hangover Nationals at LACR? Too bad. Juan went 12.29 last Friday on a slippery non prepped track spinning second really badly. It would have been an 11 sec pass if he had been running ET Streets and had cut a 1.68 60' time.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I'm still driving it while I wait on parts. You'd think that they would have noticed that the clutch didn't feel right from the beginning. It's really weird driving around with a clutch that feels a light as a Honda. I'm serious when I say that I could push the peadal in with 1 finger. If this is the way the new "revised" clutch is suppoed to feel, Ford definitely needs to fire an engineer or two.

InS0mNiAc

Just call me Lucifer
Established Member
It never ceases to amaze me how ford simply "forgets" to notice half of the problems with my truck when I bring it in. Sorry to hear about another clutch on the way out, hope you get it all worked out!

stang99

My new Ford clutch was really light at first and then it started to get heavier. Maybe all those new parts are just sliding on their bushings better? An old worn clutch can be very hard to push. The key would be the grip and how it shifts. If it engages and grips well, then the light feel is just fine. There have been revisions of the clutch per my sources since the original Cobra was introduced.
If Ford has already agreed to fix the clutch again,then I guess you could race it. By the way, I would recommend trying to get the Ford dealer to replace the TOB arm, along with the TOB. It is possible that the geometry of the TOB arm is off, or its rubber mounts are fatigued, and this might be a cause of premature TOB wear.

Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
I'm still driving it while I wait on parts. You'd think that they would have noticed that the clutch didn't feel right from the beginning. It's really weird driving around with a clutch that feels a light as a Honda. I'm serious when I say that I could push the peadal in with 1 finger. If this is the way the new "revised" clutch is suppoed to feel, Ford definitely needs to fire an engineer or two.

Users who are viewing this thread