The terminator radiator thread (post in here what you have done for replacement)

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Ok guys my terminator is aging ......

So is the original radiator.

What have you guys done about yours???

If you rebuilt say so.....

If replaced what did you get and why? How was it?

This was suggested in the what did you do for your terminator today thread to have a radiator thread.

GO!

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
My stocker started seeping at the tanks a little.

Found a shop that uses some sort of sealer under pressure.

Been good to go a year.

Mishimoto fits if you bend the ABS lines a little.

There’s a couple more expensive options but I can’t recall the names. Want to say they were like $800 or something though.

Badcobra stays cool with his stocker running 1500whp so until mine totally shits the bed, I won’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

wckdvnm

Established Member
Mishimoto sells a two row that works the same as the factory two row.
I personally run the champion 3 row and it didn’t require any modifications or bending of lines. What was required is sealing the fan to the radiator which almost all have a issue with.

Ron davis makes the best radiator for our car but it is very very pricey.

Now I live in socal; the car got driven on 110+ days regularly as i daily drove the car. The IE where i live in socal can get like some areas that resemble Arizona. I run a 180 stant and constantly saw 188-198 with A/C in traffic once moving it would stay constant at 184-6. This was all before i sealed the fan; now as soon as it kicks on it drops from 188 which is where my low speed is set to 184 with ease.

There are cheaper knock offs of the champion and fluidyne if one was so inclined to save money.

I ultimately had to replace mine as multiple rows had leaks and would have been a larger hassle than replacing them.

No one makes a OEM replacement radiator for our cars; the only option is to upgrade.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
there is another option... downgrade. not popular, and will get a lot of hate at a car show lol, but in my experience it's perfectly legit.

the original radiator in my 130k vert is still going strong... however two years ago, at 58,200 miles, my coupe's radiator got a big leak in what appears to be right in the middle of the core. so, after researching and finding out that you could no longer get a true oem style replacement, i installed a cheap, chinese, generic gt radiator hoping it was gonna be okay.

but now it's been over two years with more than 19,000 miles, and it keeps the car cool with zero problems - it actually even runs cooler than my oem vert. it is functional, a direct drop-in replacement, and requires absolutely no modifications to any other system (that was important to me).

i drive my cars hard, every day, in the hottest area of the country. so i think that unless you are going to track your terminator at big road courses, a gt replacement will work fine for any street or strip car. fwiw

here is a link to the thread i made at the time -

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/i-downgraded-my-radiator-long-read.1172966/

03' White Snake

Established Member
I run an LMR 3 pass in my car. Stock one took a bolt threw it that came loose. Stupid I know but I still have it. One day I'll have it repaired.

I had to lightly bend the ac lines, besides that, fit like OEM. I run a 170° thermostat and never had any issues.

DCguy

Established Member
Mocked up my LFP (made by Griffin i believe)...its massive...no way will brake lines clear....and thats without the fan.

i am deleting the ABS and running my own lines at the front so wont be an issue. Car will see some road racing / autox so i wanted something with a lot of capacity.

D658B55E-EEC8-4199-B950-731D823A0FA8.jpg

E81B66E5-C30D-4520-AE50-94499231A702.jpg

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I’ve had a Fluidyne for probably close to 10 years, still going strong.

It did develop a small leak due to an impact but had it repaired locally and back to good. Fitment does require some massaging however.

shurur

Established Member
I had a champion 3-core that cracked at the corners over time.

Mishimoto with their brace is the only way to go IMO.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I did SVE 3 core

abs I moved

slight bump to ac line

intercooler tank had to be moved

and used oem brackets after seeing what they say to use instead.
Lots of slop in my opinion to not worry about cracking

been happy

wckdvnm

Established Member
I had a champion 3-core that cracked at the corners over time.

Mishimoto with their brace is the only way to go IMO.

I completely forgot about mishimoto’s hold downs. They are needed for any of the larger radiators. My original “ebay” 3 row cracked at the corners as you described your champion doing. My guess would be due to the upper braces being not perfect like when a OEM sized radiator is used.
I believe the cracking at the tanks is the most common failure with all the epoxied tank radiators. The welded type radiators see this failure less commonly.

shurur

Established Member
I completely forgot about mishimoto’s hold downs. They are needed for any of the larger radiators. My original “ebay” 3 row cracked at the corners as you described your champion doing. My guess would be due to the upper braces being not perfect like when a OEM sized radiator is used.
I believe the cracking at the tanks is the most common failure with all the epoxied tank radiators. The welded type radiators see this failure less commonly.

I think it is flex in general.
I am running a napa now with epoxy/plastic for now.

If I get another AL radiator, it will a Mishimoto with the side brace that it comes with.

olympic

Established Member
I've had Mishimoto for about 7 years, no issues. Install required very minimal massaging of brake and a/c lines and their mounting system eliminates the possibility of cracking the radiator from chassis flex.

Last edited:

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
LOL, don't know how I missed this thread.

Had a small leak at the bottom right of the OE rad. Had it fixed at a shop just south of me. (Marion Radiator Service, 5785 NW Gainesville Rd, Ocala, FL 34475). Excellent job and no problems.

I have the advantage of staying friends with former coworkers at very large restoration parts place. We pulled out all of the new edge radiators, including those that were supposed to be specific to the 03-04 Cobras and none were correct. All were smaller rows and all had AT coolers built in them. I believe the only replacement that would be sufficient are the more expensive upgrades. (I made a post at the time with pics if anyone wants to dig back for it).

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
So is anyone out there running the Ron Davis that has been mentioned? Would love to hear a review on it if someone has one, and about fitment.

Seems everyone has went different routes. I probably will just have mine rebuilt, as it seems nothing is really plug in play like the OEM.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
I’m running a Fluidyne with stock radiator hold downs. Very nice quality and I don’t remember any major issues getting it to fit. Can’t remember to many details installing it though because it was 12 years ago I just know it didn’t take a lot to get it in.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Finally got around to opening my radiator hose kit from LMR this weekend. Thought I would post a pic of what it comes with.

I probably won't install them until I have the radiator rebuilt next winter.

The hoses look so tiny in such a big box.
20210602_012944.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G991U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Finally got around to opening my radiator hose kit from LMR this weekend. Thought I would post a pic of what it comes with.

I probably won't install them until I have the radiator rebuilt next winter.

The hoses look so tiny in such a big box.View attachment 1706106

Sent from my SM-G991U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Nice! Motorcraft parts, and they have the wear protection on em' too. Going to have to add to the hoard!

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Nice! Motorcraft parts, and they have the wear protection on em' too. Going to have to add to the hoard!

Yeah I am pleased with it, it opened my eyes to a reminder I probably want to do another Oil Cooler O-Ring Replacement/rebuild when I take everything apart.

I may do some research on other options to the cooler or even a cooler delete as I have had to rebuild it twice already (first one was under Factory Warranty). I have seen a few threads on it, but never really read up on it. The parts are getting old and long obsolete as well.

I have stocked up a few extra used OEM extra oil coolers over the years as back ups.........

Just going to explore options before ripping it apart.

Users who are viewing this thread