The skinny on the Inexpensive Hop Fix

Crazzy_Al

One bad ass Goombah!!
Established Member
I skimmed the thread, so I'm not sure if this was covered or not. What do you recommend to eliminate wheel hop and breaking with 425-470(spray) rwhp for those of us with IRS and Koni Adjustble Coilovers out back?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Crazzy_Al said:
I skimmed the thread, so I'm not sure if this was covered or not. What do you recommend to eliminate wheel hop and breaking with 425-470(spray) rwhp for those of us with IRS and Koni Adjustble Coilovers out back?

:poke: search you frickin nooob :loser:

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
I just had the install done on Monday on my 'vert.

Unfortunately, the wheel hop exists even with the shocks on 10. I believe wheel hop is a bigger issue with the verts, since they have softer springs and a more flexible unibody (no roof). I do have FLSCs.

So tomorrow, the same shop will install Maximum Motorsports bushings. That will be the third and final remedy that I know of, short of some DRs.

Btw, Doug's tech assistance was second to none...

Russ

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I just finished my installation and here are the issues I ran into:
1. When I pulled the "male" part of the top Bilstein rubber bushing off the shaft, the steel sleve stayed on the shaft. It was crimped around a groove in the shaft to keep it from coming off. I had to work on that with a hammer and screw driver to force it off.

2. When attempting to cut 3/8" off the sleve, I discovered it seems to be case hardened. The hack saw wouldn't scratch it. I had to use a grinder to cut the part.

3. When I tried to put the thin stainless washers that came with the BF kit onto the lower bolts, they wouldn't go. Too small by about .008 on the ID. This required grinding them out with a Dremel grinder.

4. Using the old Bilstein top rubber bushing did not work well. It squished out when the top nut was tightened. I modified the Strange rubber bushing per Postban and that worked well.

5. The setting on the shocks are supposed to be 1 to 10 but there seems to be only 5 or so clicks from one extreme to the other. I set mine two clicks down from the max but I'm not sure what that setting represents.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I've had the shocks on for about a day now- set on two clicks below maximum, whatever that is. No difference in wheel hop as far as I can tell. At low speeds, the car now sounds like I have a load of lumber in the back. 2x4's flopping around. At high speeds, no noise. This is not a klunck or problem with the shock attachments which are solid. I guess its just noise transmitted through the solid delrin bushings.

Zman04

Established Member
So its doesnt work on vert very well if any. I am just starting to break my car in. I have 800 miles on it and want to start to address the hop issue. I was hoping this would be a good spot to begin. Yes or no?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
This is just the first step for me. I've got all the bushings to do along with the brackets which weld to the sides of the IRS subframe. I don't expect to really get rid of the wheel hop until all this stuff is done. I only hope the car is still drivable after everything is stiffened up.

rmgtc01

Established Member
RedfireVert said:
I just had the install done on Monday on my 'vert.

Unfortunately, the wheel hop exists even with the shocks on 10. I believe wheel hop is a bigger issue with the verts, since they have softer springs and a more flexible unibody (no roof). I do have FLSCs.

So tomorrow, the same shop will install Maximum Motorsports bushings. That will be the third and final remedy that I know of, short of some DRs.

Btw, Doug's tech assistance was second to none...

Russ

So the only suspension mods you have done are the Subs and this hop kit?
No springs or bushings anywhere.
I have a vert too and I am watching this thread to see how the vert guys do with the mods.
So far I have Diff. bushings and the steeda brackets. I can honestly say my wheel hop is down about 30%. It used to be almost all the time and very harsh. Now only full throttle in first or when it is wet, but not as much of a hop.
I guess I am waiting to see how far you have to go. I plan on springs and MM FL subs next. I want to see if this kit works for verts so I can do it with the springs. Also the ride and feel of the car now (~harsh +/-)

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Zman04 said:
..snip... I was hoping this would be a good spot to begin. Yes or no?

....yes

It is one element of a system approach to solving wheel hop

For hop;

1)adj. shocks/shock mount bushings
2)IRS/LCA/UCA/DIFF/Rear Diff bushings
3)MM subframes
4)Mathis Brackets
5)PHP Toe link bars
6)Coupe springs or heavier if you have a vert

for reinforcment

7)BF diff cover brace
8)DSS half shafts

Last edited:

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
rmgtc01 said:
So the only suspension mods you have done are the Subs and this hop kit?
No springs or bushings anywhere.
I have a vert too and I am watching this thread to see how the vert guys do with the mods.
So far I have Diff. bushings and the steeda brackets. I can honestly say my wheel hop is down about 30%. It used to be almost all the time and very harsh. Now only full throttle in first or when it is wet, but not as much of a hop.
I guess I am waiting to see how far you have to go. I plan on springs and MM FL subs next. I want to see if this kit works for verts so I can do it with the springs. Also the ride and feel of the car now (~harsh +/-)

That's correct...my vert only has MM subs and shocks. The IRS bushings are being installed today and I will let you know if that helps.

As far as harshness of the shocks, on "10" the car rides like it has no rear suspension, and it beats you up (and I can tolerate a lot).

The subs definitely reduced wheel hop some, but the hop is still there...

Dior55

Established Member
OK, how do I order this kit? I went to the Billetflow website and could not find a listing. I've ordered a set of Strange shocks, so I'd like to get the adapter from Billetflow. I was reading here something about a list. Is this thread the list or is there somewhere else to go?

Users who are viewing this thread