The skinny on the Inexpensive Hop Fix

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Help, I must be dumb b/c I can't get the existing shocks out...can't figure out how to access the shock where it mounts to the unibody...can anyone give a step by step? This is a vert, if it matters. Thx.

hmwave

Established Member
RedfireVert said:
Help, I must be dumb b/c I can't get the existing shocks out...can't figure out how to access the shock where it mounts to the unibody...can anyone give a step by step? This is a vert, if it matters. Thx.

Remove the carpet like side panels in the trunk, both sides. You may have to remove the front panel too.
Hold the slot on the top of the shock with an adjustable spanner or allen key (don't recall which type it is) to stop it from turning and use a wrench to remove the top bolt.
Remember the order the parts come off the shock for fitting the new one.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
how does this compared to say adjustable Koni's or race-valved bilsteins? how does this overcome the complience of the control arm, IRS subframe, and differential mount bushings?
Not knocking the product, I am just looking for info.

dougwg

Established Member
hmwave said:
Remove the carpet like side panels in the trunk, both sides. You may have to remove the front panel too.
Hold the slot on the top of the shock with an adjustable spanner or allen key (don't recall which type it is) to stop it from turning and use a wrench to remove the top bolt.
Remember the order the parts come off the shock for fitting the new one.

yep

dougwg

Established Member
Serpentor said:
how does this compared to say adjustable Koni's or race-valved bilsteins? how does this overcome the complience of the control arm, IRS subframe, and differential mount bushings?
Not knocking the product, I am just looking for info.

I don't know how they compare to Koni's or race-valved Bilstein's other than, this is much less expensive. :beer:

You can't overcome the complience of the Control Arm, IRS subframe, and Differential bushings with the simple addition of shocks. :dw:

CWD

Established Member
Installed today

dougwg said:
I don't know how they compare to Koni's or race-valved Bilstein's other than, this is much less expensive. :beer:

You can't overcome the complience of the Control Arm, IRS subframe, and Differential bushings with the simple addition of shocks. :dw:

Doug, Great job! Everything went well! Bushings were a perfect fit and I like the set up so far. Thanks Charles

Wiked03

Established Member
CWD said:
Doug, Great job! Everything went well! Bushings were a perfect fit and I like the set up so far. Thanks Charles

Did you test it out yet?

Got my bushings the other day, but don't have the shocks yet. :(

CWD

Established Member
Tested today

Wiked03 said:
Did you test it out yet?

Got my bushings the other day, but don't have the shocks yet. :(

Got into the 50's much warmer today and I had to have the IRS realigned. After doing so I nailed it pretty hard and I only had tire spin till drag radials locked up. I have mine set at 10 and the ride is rough however the wheel hop was gone!!!!!!!!!gone!!!!!!Have not run the car since Sept. to up date my times as I have done additional Mods. and I know with the addition of the shock set up times will be much improved! Well worth the investment. :beer: Thanks Charles :beer:

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
Tried mine out today. WOW!

I posted a thread in 'TALK'.

I'm finally COMPLETELY happy with this car! :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper:

I may have committed over-kill, Doug. But, I didn't want to have to work on it more than once. Anyway, how many cars do you know of that can blast-off with no hop, using stock F1's? :thumbsup: :beer: :thumbsup:

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
oldnfast said:
Tried mine out today. WOW!

I posted a thread in 'TALK'.

I'm finally COMPLETELY happy with this car! :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper:

I may have committed over-kill, Doug. But, I didn't want to have to work on it more than once. Anyway, how many cars do you know of that can blast-off with no hop, using stock F1's? :thumbsup: :beer: :thumbsup:

Do you have any other suspension mods done? If so, what?

Power Trip

Established Member
The previous owner of my car put the strange shocks on.. He started a thread a while back about this same subject. He gave instructions on how to make the shocks work for free, maybe people interested can look up the thread..

I didnt bother to read all the posts so this may have been already covered?

His name was try03venom if u wanna search his name..

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
mike79 said:
Do you have any other suspension mods done? If so, what?

Since it was moved, here it is again...

Here are the mods:

MM urethane IRS bushings & 14MM bolt/nut kit. By the way, you might want to check the nut on the front bushing if you still have stock, mine were not even finger tight.

KB Extreme Matrix w/ jacking rail.

KB aluminum differential bushings.

My version of the Steeda IRS Subframe Brace (made my own using 1/8 mild steel).

Coupe springs (I would think anything 600 lbs. or stronger would work).

26 psi in the F1's.

And the the most important thing (IMO), BilletFlow's Anti-hop Kit with the Strange shocks on setting 8.

Users who are viewing this thread