The Restoration of a 1995 GT

mysteed

Established Member
For a while now I have been looking for a new vehicle to replace my wife's current 94 V6 Mustang. I haven't been in too much of a rush as I have been quitely looking without her knowing and keeping such a thing away from her prying eyes has been a challenge in and of itself. Last Saturday morning I just happened along an ad on CL for a 95 GT at $2,000 and I recognized the car as I had seen it listed before for $3,800. I noted, with a bit of intrigue, that the ad also said that the owner needed the car gone from where it was parked by the end of the next day (Sunday). So I texted the lady with the ad and later that afternoon I went to look at the car.

Here is what I found:
20130810_143214_zps5767f75b.jpg

20130810_143203_zpsfa272c4c.jpg

20130810_143131_zps5deb9546.jpg

20130810_1432210_zps2f381293.jpg

20130810_143149_zps366feb93.jpg

20130810_143140_zpsab709405.jpg

20130810_143304_zpscfa930b5.jpg

20130810_143640_zps5838dd04.jpg

So upon initial inspection the car seemed fairly solid but I didn't have much else to go on other than the exterior appearance since the car was stored up near me but the owner lived over an hour away. Thus I had no way of knowing the condition of the motor/trans/suspension/etc. The owner did tell me though that they were the second owner of the vehicle (purchased in 98) and that it had been garaged all it's life. She did comment to me that the front windshield was cracked, the radio was missing, and that the car needed a battery to start.

After mulling over for a few hours I told her that since there were so many unknowns I could only comfortably give her $1,000. She asked me she could give me an answer the next morning and I said yes. By almost 2pm I had given up hope & was leaving to go to a family function when she texted me saying the car was mine. I met her at the car a few minutes later & the car was officially mine. I learned from her that her dad gave her the car as a birthday gift for when she turned 17 and that he had possession of the car until he passed away a short time ago. The house that he had been living in had been sold & thus why they needed the car gone by Sunday evening. I told her that the car would be going to a great home & she could take comfort in knowing it would be restored to it's former glory.

I called my towing company later to have them pick up the car. Once we got it into the shop we quickly realized that I had a pretty serious ant infestation so the was washed down with highly pressurized water. We then went to work making a list of all the needed items that would need to be taken care of before we put the car back onto the road. First things first though we needed to get the car running and after installing a new battery & starter and adding some fuel to the completely empty tank the car started right up! I've got a long, long, long list of items that need to be addressed but for now it's at least moveable!

20130811_172854_zps26b543ba.jpg

20130813_120531_zpsff72512c.jpg

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
Not bad Nate! paint doesnt look too far gone.

I know you want mods, but keep in mind who this is for! Concentrate on stopping and avoidance!

Also loud so people know to run away :D

mysteed

Established Member
Nice pic! Looks like a good car, maybe she will treat you right!
-Garrett
I sure hope so. It only has 111k on the clock and for as old as it is it runs great thus far.

Not bad Nate! paint doesnt look too far gone.

I know you want mods, but keep in mind who this is for! Concentrate on stopping and avoidance!

Also loud so people know to run away :D
Yeah the paint is great other than a few random parts, the drivers side of the rear bumper, and the passenger door. I haven't pulled the brakes apart but oddly enough if the front brakes need to be rebuilt it'll be cheaper to upgrade to Cobra brakes than to redo the GT brakes. As far as louder exhaust...it's pretty much a must have. The previous "shop" welded the catback and midpipe together and the mufflers have spots that are rusted through.

you lucky dog,,id love to find another 95 GT
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with my purchase thus far.

Sweet. I'm still in the middle of fixing up the 94 I bought in 05. :uh oh:
Dang man, that's a long project car.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Looks like Rio Red. Unless it's Laser Pink now lol.

Nice find OP! I'm currently looking for a '96-98 GT myself.

coposrv

Established Member
Good find. If it follows the path of your other builds it should be a looker in no time.

mysteed

Established Member
Sweet find and great price! I'm jelly. How many miles did it have?
It has 111k on it currently.

Nice find!! What color is that?
Thanks! It's Rio Red (E8).

Dang, why can't I find a deal like this to use as a DD for the dog.

Nice find!
Keep looking! It look me a loooong time to find this one.

Looks like Rio Red. Unless it's Laser Pink now lol.

Nice find OP! I'm currently looking for a '96-98 GT myself.
A NPI GT is what I was originally looking for till this one fell into my lap.

Good find. If it follows the path of your other builds it should be a looker in no time.
Thank you. I sure hope it does.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Wow great find, and awesome color. I almost bought a B303 Cam 95 GT with chrome cobra R's back in 2004/2005. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it but I ended up with close to stock 96 GT back in the day. I cant wait to see the restoration of it, from the looks off the car it doesn't look to bad but minor things here and there to fix up. GL with the car man.

Oh yeah you should join sn95forums this would be perfect over there.

subbed.

Last edited:

mysteed

Established Member
Wow great find, and awesome color. I almost bought a B303 Cam 95 GT with chrome cobra R's back in 2004/2005. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it but I ended up with close to stock 96 GT back in the day. I cant wait to see the restoration of it, from the looks off the car it doesn't look to bad but minor things here and there to fix up. GL with the car man.

Oh yeah you should join sn95forums this would be perfect over there.

subbed.
Thanks. I'm already a member over there but I lurk more than anything else.

just wash it and give it a tune up. and wahla... Restored!! haha jk good luck :beer:
It definately needs both of those. :lol:

mysteed

Established Member
Took care of a few maintenance items last night and this afternoon. Took the rear diff out and put fresh diff oil & trac-loc fluid in, serviced the transmission filter and did a flush of the trans fluid, & replaced both radiator hoses & flushed the cooling system.

Here are some pics of the underside of the car:
20130815_153120_zps6d608d15.jpg

20130815_153140_zps0e6fc541.jpg

20130815_153104_zpse246b34a.jpg

20130815_153048_zps267e0974.jpg

20130815_153054_zps5cfb0c3d.jpg

Blakonblak94

Wishin it was SVT
Established Member
Any reference you can give to redoing the brakes with cobra parts? My GT will need brakes before long and I would rather upgrade rather than rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread