The pilot who had an SR-71 disintegrate around him at Mach 3+

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
This post is dedicated to Jim Zwayer, who died in this incident. He died, keeping the Cold War from ever turning hot.

The Blackbird was, ironically, the fastest jet plane; and at the same time, had to be flown like a hyper-miler in a Toyota trying to eke out every last mpg it could get. For various reasons, as an airplane's speed increases, it's center of lift changes. It moves farther back, towards the tail. Left uncorrected it will eventually push the nose down and the plane then enters a dive.

The answer to this in most airplanes is to trim the tail's flight control surfaces to point the nose upward to an equal and opposite degree that the change of center-of-lift wants to push the nose down. This is effective, but as you can imagine, drag starts to go through the roof and while the airplane can fly this way, the range in which it can fly is cut very short. This is fine for fighter jets. They're supersonic, but almost never fly at supersonic speeds; and when they do, not for long. Minutes, in most cases.

The Blackbird had to be able to cruise at Mach 3+ for hours on end, afterburners blasting the whole time. All kinds of tricks had to be employed to make those gigantic engines also be fuel-efficient enough, to fly for hours on somewhat less than a hundred-thousand pounds of JP-7.

One of the major tricks she employed was having seven different fuel tanks, with which she could manipulate her center of gravity while in flight. By manipulating the center of gravity, she could balance out the tendency to climb or dive without having to deflect the control surfaces. A major reduction in drag, which meant a major increase in efficiency, which meant she could fly higher, faster, and farther on that somewhat less than 100,000 pounds of JP-7.

The trade off though is: the farther aft an airplane's center of gravity is, the more difficult it becomes to control it's ability to fly straight and level at any altitude. In other words, the airplane suddenly wants to climb or dive, and the pilot has to watch it, carefully, every last second of the flight. The faster you go, the more demanding this becomes, and as the article reveals, it can suddenly exceed even the most amazing pilot's skills and the whole thing goes South faster than you even know what is happening at Mach 3+.

Air crew like Jim Zwayer knew _all_ of this going into the project. And yet they still climbed the ladder, got in the cockpit, and went for a flight. Because they knew how important all of this was.

So: to Jim Zwayer, Ray Torrick, and all the others who died in the accidents of the Blackbird project's combined programs. We owe all of you a debt we can never repay.

The story of a lucky SR-71 pilot who survived Blackbird disintegration at a speed of Mach 3.2 - Fighter Jets World

SirShaun

Established Member
Test pilots are insane, no questions about it. I'm not sure I could justify the risk vs reward.

The "First Man" movie, about Neil Armstrong, touches a good bit on the life of a test pilot. Crazy life to live.

blk02edge

Established Member
Test pilots are insane, no questions about it. I'm not sure I could justify the risk vs reward.

The "First Man" movie, about Neil Armstrong, touches a good bit on the life of a test pilot. Crazy life to live.
I thought all the parts in the X-15 scene was all made up for hollywood effect... Googled it and nope... All real, insane.

Oops im in space now and bouncing off the atmosphere..

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I thought all the parts in the X-15 scene was all made up for hollywood effect... Googled it and nope... All real, insane.

Oops im in space now and bouncing off the atmosphere..
X15 was a whole different animal...imagine strapping in to a rocket powered acft strapped to a b52...lol...I'm both brave and stupid but not on that level lol

They melted control surfaces at flight speeds on that bitch...on purpose!!!

blk02edge

Established Member
X15 was a whole different animal...imagine strapping in to a rocket powered acft strapped to a b52...lol...I'm both brave and stupid but not on that level lol
Yea no kidding, I cant imagine being in the SR nevermind the X15. Nobody will ever top that.

Mike's03Mach

Established Member
That was a great story and amazing that he lived and sad his back seater didn't. The end was pretty funny, I could only image what was going through his mind.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
yeah this was the only crew member that lost his life (the RSO) in the Blackbird program from 1962-97 when they was flying, which is pretty impressive when you think about how hot of a performer the SR-71 was and how complex it was. No other aircraft has such a high survivability rate for crew in the whole USAF history and inventory.

blk02edge

Established Member
yeah this was the only crew member that lost his life (the RSO) in the Blackbird program from 1962-97 when they was flying, which is pretty impressive when you think about how hot of a performer the SR-71 was and how complex it was. No other aircraft has such a high survivability rate for crew in the whole USAF history and inventory.
Well, 4 deaths in the program if counting A12 and M21

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, 4 deaths in the program if counting A12 and M21
Yep. Jim Zwayer, Ray Torrick, Jack Weeks, and Walter Ray were killed in Blackbird accidents.

Fifty Blackbirds of all variants were made, 20 were lost to accidents. The Mach3+ flight environment is an unforgiving one. A lot of folks think of the Cold War as a bloodless war. Not true, lives were lost on both sides, throughout its 70-year span. As conflicts between major powers go, it was an odd one. Either only a few people died on each side, or, potentially over a billion could have died, had the nukes started flying. These men and many others died to keep the Cold War from turning hot.

blk02edge

Established Member
Yep. Jim Zwayer, Ray Torrick, Jack Weeks, and Walter Ray were killed in Blackbird accidents.

Fifty Blackbirds of all variants were made, 20 were lost to accidents. The Mach3+ flight environment is an unforgiving one. A lot of folks think of the Cold War as a bloodless war. Not true, lives were lost on both sides, throughout its 70-year span. As conflicts between major powers go, it was an odd one. Either only a few people died on each side, or, potentially over a billion could have died, had the nukes started flying. These men and many others died to keep the Cold War from turning hot.
Hard to wrap the brain around how different life could be right now had only a few certain people made different decisions. Id like to see a movie made about the opposite outcome

Users who are viewing this thread