The overheat continues..fan help please !!

delvin.a

Established Member
Oh I agree there is an issue somewhere that needs to be fixed. I’d still toss that t-stat in the trash for a Motorcraft unit.

Have you pulled a vacuum on the system and filled it that way yet?

notagt

Established Member
Yes, I bought a vacuum refiller, pulled 20 ' of vacumm, it held for couple minutes, refilled with it, same thing, wind up burping after using refiller, no coolant loss or smoke but coolant going somewhere since after heat cycles, then cooldown, have to top off crossover while expansion tank gets so full, even cold unscrew cap and it overflows out the tank.

delvin.a

Established Member
Well sh*t, sounds like your gasket hypothesis is next.

Hope you (or the shop) find out what it is, I’ve been there it’s super frustrating. Good luck

hotcobra03

Established Member
Was a compression test done ?

You posted a lot of stuff done and oil sample ,,and you pulled vacuum but it didn't hold ?

I've reused lower intake gasket, when cleaning intercooler and o ring replacement on tubes ,,

How many miles on this car?

Ours is just over 400k, had issues with drivers head , 4 thread and 9 thread both had valve seat problems ,and a crack last time ,

On a stock cobra just driven.

You seam to have replaced everything around the base engine.

Crack I had caused lose of fluid but slow. Added weekly

When issue showed. Was weird
No signs when driving,
But noticed after engine was turned off.

Wait a few and than white smoke came out tail pipes ,

When I pulled head I than seen rust color inside of exhaust ,

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
You do a coolant text for exhaust gasses ?
You have a cracked head , or a bad head gasket .
That is my diagnosis, and I am sticking to it .
When you listen to the internet , and your check book , I tend if doing proper diagnosis, you will not get to the proper conclusion,.
When you finally said , the overflow (expansion ) tank would overfill, you admitted the system was getting pressure..

Good luck .

notagt

Established Member
Thanks for input guys, here is an update. I trailered the car 6 hours to Injected Engineering and dropped off on a Monday after night in hotel. 8 days later mechanic called, said he drove car about 15 mile loop and car hit 246 degrees in 6th at 60 mph. When I dropped off the car, gave them a 3 page list of al I had done. Callback was they did not do compression/ leakdown, etc ( for poster, yes, passes chemical test I did twice pumping tester bulb with car running as temp climbs and liquid stays blue in tester). They wanted $2400 in labor ONLY, to remove drivers side head ONLY as they put it " diagnosis science", when I asked test done to come to this conclusion, was told issues with other cars ( I have cooling mod), and there would be no gurantee car would be fixed. Paid bill, and to there credit, call back they refunded half my bill since admitted they spent total of 45 minutes with car including the test driver. So, of course I said I would get the car, spent $500 to have transport company pick the car up since no way was I going back to Atlanta. So, after about $800, sane issue. Car is now with Justin (formally of Redline) in Thomasville GA who will be doing comprehensive test under load since his mindset is NOT to tear into motor unless we know that's what is needed. Motor swap from a Cobra had about 40 miles on it, no issues till about 6 months after swapping Eaton for Whipple, no coolant loss, no smoke, runs great for about 5 miles. I will update as I find out things, thanks very much guys for your replies and inputs, means alot you take the time to follow the thread, hopefully going on 4 years maybe able to get definitive answer.

hotcobra03

Established Member
03 Cobra build thread

Post#31.

Read this while waiting on your update,

I did use these last time I did replacement drivers head,

Not sure if passenger side was done with new gasket when I had that side off years ago ,

notagt

Established Member
Reading your post, wondering if it is head gasket, will do ARP studs, but also wondering if T stat relocation is a worth investment?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Reading your post, wondering if it is head gasket, will do ARP studs, but also wondering if T stat relocation is a worth investment?

I'd let the shop sort things out before throwing anything else in the equation. I like mine but I mainly did it because the bypass line was a major pain in the ass with my procharger, if it wasn't for that Im not sure I would have bothered with it.

When my Lightning had a blown head gasket it was leaking coolant between the head and block, so no combustion gasses in the overflow and every now and then it would catch an air bubble. Coolant temps would spike then after a minute or two fall right back down to normal.

For some reason I thought that motor always had a whipple on it. Interesting that it was fine with the eaton but started after the whipple install. Maybe something gut hurt while tuning?

notagt

Established Member
03 Cobra build thread

Post#31.

Read this while waiting on your update,

I did use these last time I did replacement drivers head,

Not sure if passenger side was done with new gasket when I had that side off years ago ,

I read this twice, what a great overall thread, info was incredible. My only question was with the Felpro gasket PT # mentioned, is it only usefull for the DC head and how do we know if we have the DC head? You can really see in the HG pic the larger coolant passage, will definitely look at the Felpro HG if it gets to that point and great info on the exhaust seats, you can tell the guys in that thread know there s**t with sound stats/info to back it up.

notagt

Established Member
I'd let the shop sort things out before throwing anything else in the equation. I like mine but I mainly did it because the bypass line was a major pain in the ass with my procharger, if it wasn't for that Im not sure I would have bothered with it.

When my Lightning had a blown head gasket it was leaking coolant between the head and block, so no combustion gasses in the overflow and every now and then it would catch an air bubble. Coolant temps would spike then after a minute or two fall right back down to normal.

For some reason I thought that motor always had a whipple on it. Interesting that it was fine with the eaton but started after the whipple install. Maybe something gut hurt while tuning?

Yea originally had a ported Eaton, at 14 psi had no issues tuned by Kurgan, put on Whipple, hit 18 psi and his tune isn't overly aggressive, no issue at tuning session, would say maybe 6 months later issue started and it wasn't like at a track day, just out of the blue driving one day temp climbed and that was that, now years later after throwing every part at it , sometimes multiple times, gave up on it, just miss driving it.

Users who are viewing this thread