THE OFFICIAL CLUTCH THREAD - All Members, Please Chime In

Jahel'98COBRA

Established Member
Hi Guys,

I decided to post this message on the Terminator forum (even though my car is a 1998 COBRA), since most of your cars make gobs of power and can take a lot of abuse.

I have been using a King COBRA clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing for the past 50K miles, 26K miles of which were supercharged. My clutch is not slipping currently, but is making some aweful noises when the clutch is not engaged (sounds like the throwout bearing is on its last leg).

I would like to get a whole new clutch set-up, consisting of the components listed below. Keep in mind that my car is a daily driver with very limited modifications (see signature), and that I rarely take the car to the track. For this reason, I want a clutch that will last a long time and continue to "feel" good as it ages. I would appreciate some feedback based on personal, first-hand experience on which components you guys think would work the best for my application.

1.) CLUTCH - What brand to get? My current King Cobra clutch worked great and survived a lot of abuse, but the effort required to depress the clutch pedal is a pain. I would like a clutch that is just as tough, but a little easier to engage.

2.) PRESSURE PLATE - What brand to get?

3.) THROWOUT BEARING - My stock T/O bearing did not sqeal, bu the one that came with the King Cobra kit howled for the longest time. I have heard that Timken T/O bearings from Autozone are good, but I have no evidence to support this.

4.) FLYWHEEL - I will be getting a new flywheel, as opposed to having my current flywheel resurfaced. I still have the original flywheel, and it has already beed resurfaced once, when I changed from the stock clutch to the King Cobra clutch a few years ago. I have no desire for performance gains, so is a billet steel flywheel (as opposed to iron or aluminum) the way to go?

5.) CLUTCH CABLE - I am think about getting an OEM replacement, as I heard that the stock cable is better than most aftermarket replacements.

6.) CLUTCH QUADRANT - I am not sure what this part does but am thinking about getting one, since I am replacing the entire clutch assembly. Is this part necessary and if so, what brand works the best?

7.) FIREWALL ADJUSTER - If I am not mistaken, this part adjusts the pedal position at which the clutch will engage. I am satisfied with the current height at which my clutch pedal engages. Considering this, should I get a new firewall adjuster and if so, what brand works best?

Should I replace any other parts? If so, please let me know, and thank you for your time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread