The new On3 Performance 96-04 turbo kit...

Mikes96SVT

Banned
Yeah, I'm really really thinking of picking up a kit for my 96. It doesn't seem like it would be to hard to do. Except the coil packs and the intake is different vs. the 99-01

red9450

Established Member
Yeah, I'm really really thinking of picking up a kit for my 96. It doesn't seem like it would be to hard to do. Except the coil packs and the intake is different vs. the 99-01

I am doing the install on my 96 cobra. I have a build thread posted in the turbo section on the corral...

adler

Established Member
I am having a problem with the V-band connecting the downpipe to the turbine housing not sealing. I also have another exhaust leak at the V-band of the piping that makes a "U" shape going around the k-member. I saw in a post were someone used some kind of gasket in between the flanges to take care of the leaks, but I cannot find that post any more.
Does anyone know what gasket I am talking about? I am going to loosen all the piping and tighten it again to take care of those leaks. If that doesnt fix it, I am going to try those gaskets.
I am using a QA1 K-member with the Master Power 76mm.

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
I am having a problem with the V-band connecting the downpipe to the turbine housing not sealing. I also have another exhaust leak at the V-band of the piping that makes a "U" shape going around the k-member. I saw in a post were someone used some kind of gasket in between the flanges to take care of the leaks, but I cannot find that post any more.
Does anyone know what gasket I am talking about? I am going to loosen all the piping and tighten it again to take care of those leaks. If that doesnt fix it, I am going to try those gaskets.
I am using a QA1 K-member with the Master Power 76mm.

2002Mustanggt on here that has the big 2v build used some copper gaskets off ebay and trimmed them down to size and stuck them between the vbands then sealed them up with a little copper gasket maker and said he is leak free

2002mustanggt

Turbo 2V
Established Member
Yep that's me :) This is what I did, bought some gasket and cut it to make it round plus I bought some better quality Vbands

3" gasket
OBX Gasket Turbo Exhaust GT Spec 4 Bolt 3" Metal : eBay Motors (item 170402035648 end time May-01-10 09:35:50 PDT)

2.5" gasket

OBX Gasket Downpipe 3 Bolt 2.5" w/ Metal Ring : eBay Motors (item 180497244783 end time Apr-28-10 07:37:16 PDT)

Atp turbo have the perfect fitting vband for our kit. 04Ryan from corral suggested it and working geat even at 20psi boost DD.

3" Vband

V-Band Clamp - 3.00" : atpturbo.com

2.5" vband

V-Band Clamp - 2.50" : atpturbo.com

Tis 2.5" vband looks totally different then the one comes with the kit, perfect fit and I am now 100% leak free. I still use a little copper gasket on vband .

on3performance

Adler, assuming you are working on a 4v, you have a leak at the exhaust housing? Just apply a thin bead of high temp copper rtv around the vband surface. try to leave the other clamps slightly loose when installing that from downpipe back. That will leave it some adjustment. Also might have someone under the car almost lifting or pushing to support the tubing so you can get it to seat properly. I think that shoule help and cure your issue

CPRsm

Copper on the exh housing I can pretty much guarantee isn't going to work. You probably have the wrong v-band for the master power turbo

red9450

Established Member
Copper on the exh housing I can pretty much guarantee isn't going to work. You probably have the wrong v-band for the master power turbo

It worked for me. thanks. so about that guarantee?

CPRsm

Good for you.Did you also read the part where I said almost ? Only reason I threw that in there was for luck. If your DP doesn't seal, something is wrong. It's pretty low pressure, and the least likely to leak.It's a known problem with MP turbine housings, particularly the .96 housing. MP never used to make a 96 housing, so everyone used .81 and .96 from PT. No one had this problem until MP started making them. There is interference with the clamp and the housing. Instead of letting clamp pull the v-bands together, one side of the V-band is touching the housing, and not clamping the band like it should. You trim the v-band or get a new one. Or I could be making it all up. thanx.

2002mustanggt

Turbo 2V
Established Member
My .68 master power exhaust housing was stupid, had to grind down vband on one side. So the vband looks like this -v- then you need to girnd down one side and it will look like this v- then it will work.

I bought a .96 housing and some nice vband , I don't have that problem .

adler

Established Member
My .68 master power exhaust housing was stupid, had to grind down vband on one side. So the vband looks like this -v- then you need to girnd down one side and it will look like this v- then it will work.

I bought a .96 housing and some nice vband , I don't have that problem .
I also have a .96 a/r turbine housing with the MP 76. So the only thing you did to make your .96 a/r housing seal was a different type of V-band clamp or the avtual flange? You didnt use those gaskets and didnt have to grind on the V-band flange of the .96?

adler

Established Member
Adler, assuming you are working on a 4v, you have a leak at the exhaust housing? Just apply a thin bead of high temp copper rtv around the vband surface. try to leave the other clamps slightly loose when installing that from downpipe back. That will leave it some adjustment. Also might have someone under the car almost lifting or pushing to support the tubing so you can get it to seat properly. I think that shoule help and cure your issue
Yes, I have the 4 valve kit. I did not put the rest of the exhaust on the car. The only thing that is on after the turbo is the downpipe, so there shouldnt really be any stress on the downpipe to keep it from sealing to the turbine housing of the turbo....unless the downpipe is shoved against the radiator fan. I know the downpipe sits really close, if not touching the fan. I had the up-pipe going to the turbo supported with a floor jack when I was tightning everything from the exhaust maniolds to the up-pipe. I am not forsure if the RTV will seal up this leak nor the leak that is coming from the "U" shaped pipe that wraps around the K-member. I will try loosening & tightning all of the hot side again. If that doesnt work, I will try those gaskets. The last resort will be the RTV.

Which color wastegate springs are for what amount of boost????

Other than the little exhaust leaks that I have, its seems like a good kit for the price that I paid. Hopefully everything holds up. The only thing that I really changed was the oil drain...I used AN fittings with a -10 push lock line. As of right now, I am using the wastegate that came with the kit. But I will be putting a TurboSmart 38mm wastegate (hopefully it fits) on the car next week when I put on the Sullivan lower intake manifold & HPP upper manifold.

I am hoping that my car makes 700-800hp with this kit on e-85. Hopefully the 76mm can keep up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread