The "how much horsepower can a Coyote handle" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM5878

Established Member
Might also want to clarify what trans as well. Manual is more fun, but I would love to see how they are holding up with the power amounts you guys are running as well.

BIGHOSS5.0

Established Member
Hellion TT kit
About 1000 miles since installed
I make 635whp and 585tq which is more stress then these centri cars TQ wise. It's been loving it so far and I only drive the car to beat on it. The other thing is I use to have a procharger on the car a year before the twin kit. So my same stock motor has had two power adders on it. Lol

I am interested in the TT Hellion kit. Are you still running this setup and if you are how much boost are you pushing? I am guessing around 5#'s...Do you have the JMS tune?

Last edited:

PONY1

C/S 3187
Established Member

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Mods in sig. Current boost wategated at 10lbs. Last numbers were on 3.6" pulley on corn. Car has 33k plus, last 14k over 600+.

I dd, and unless it is cold or wet I make her scream daily.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
i dont think that there is a truly place after you go over 500rwhp. you can gamble though and go for 600-700rwhp and it could stay together for a long time or it could pop on the first pull. tuning has ALOT to do with it,

BIGHOSS5.0

Established Member
I have the Hellion kit and the JMS tune. My car is a daily driver and its ****ing awesome. 23K miles when installed 7/13 and I'm bout to turn 30K in the 2 weeks. 678whp/590wtq @ 7.5lbs on 93. Drove to the World finals in bowling green, 1200+ miles round trip. Let my son make a soft pass. 11.51@133

Dyno- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJzOYlYPKvc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUYlFwPZLvUH0Rgp8ZYgZwyg

Got to be great friends to with John Urist too.

That is awesome...The more I read about it the more I want it. I am a turbo nut I guess. I have been into turbos because of my Diesel Trucks and the amazing amount of power they put out. This kit is pretty amazing from what I am reading and you have been pushing 7.5#'s with no issues...That Awesome! :banana:

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
750ish @7.5lbs
Automatic
CPR Single Turbo
54,000 miles.
Kits been on for about 2,000 miles, before that Ran a 200 shot

BIGHOSS5.0

Established Member
Anyone have experience with On 3 turbo systems? I have heard Good things from reliable sources that have experience with them...Lots of mixed reviews from people who have never had them...

NoVA_Mike

Established Member
Anyone have experience with On 3 turbo systems? I have heard Good things from reliable sources that have experience with them...Lots of mixed reviews from people who have never had them...

I humbly suggest that you start a separate thread instead of jacking this one. Just saying.

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
I've got about 3k miles with my Paxton set-up making 680-700rwhp for the last 5-6months. It's not my DD but I drive it hard when I do take it out and have plenty of 1/4 mile passes and street pulls. I'll have the shortblock swapped in a couple of months and I'll take a ew pics of what the stock shortblock looks like.

SC_Terminator

Used to own a Boss
Established Member
200 shot....10.36 E.T 1.45 60ft....used the 200 shot just once....on the dyno car made 505rwhp and 525rwtq on 150 shot......2011 Auto GT...410's, Full Exhaust,CAI,Tune,weight reduction...here is the run

1036Pass - YouTube

Man that thing dumped a lot of blue smoke out at the start....but it was haulin'

BIGHOSS5.0

Established Member
I humbly suggest that you start a separate thread instead of jacking this one. Just saying.

:dw:Wow..Just trying to find out info. Not trying to jack anything. God forbid someone talks about boosted cars on a boost forum thread. I'll go start another forum so someone else can say there is already a thread about this...

nickSD

First Rodeo
Established Member
OK, you've had a year thinking you killed the thread, now you're off the hook ;-)

What is the ring gap on the upper ring in the Coyote engines? And is this a factor as far as the power level that they can take?

My impression is that when these engines are pushed the ring ends get together and that's what takes out the upper ring land.

On my Mach 1 the upper ring gap was 0.011" from the factory. That is very tight for power adder purposes.

I wonder if Coyotes are similar for emissions purposes. They do also have hypereutectic pistons, correct?

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
2012 Mustang GT 5.0 (2nd Owner/Feb. 2014) *Stock at the time*
NA ~ All Motor Full Bolt Ons/BOSS Manifold/E85
Not a daily and Driven 1-2 a week including weekend with some track visits.
Maybe the 6 track visit *** ENGINE FAILED *** Cyl #1 rod POPPED!

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I guess I'll chime in. The mods are in my sig under "old setup"(this was on a completely stock, unopened motor stock OPG's as well). I logged around 8500 miles@[email protected] on E85. I beat the car like it owed me money. The car has seen 50+ 1/4 mile track passes, 6 1/2 mile airstrip passes, and HUNDREDS of highway races from 2nd into 4th(55-130+), sometimes even topping out 4th gear at over 170mph. My shift points were 7450rpm. I then dropped the pulley down and ran 12psi on E85(roughly 660whp) for about 400 miles, several dozen street pulls and 6-7 1/4 passes. The car never skipped a beat.

New setup: See my sig for that as well. I will be running low boost in the 620-630whp range and high boost will be 700-725whp all on E85 of course. We are dropping the shift points down to 7000rpm and installing billet OPG's ( for internal longevity ). I am not to scared for the motors life. With good fuel and tune it should last for a while(hopefully the summer) :coolman:

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
750ish @7.5lbs
Automatic
CPR Single Turbo
54,000 miles.
Kits been on for about 2,000 miles, before that Ran a 200 shot

Still 750ish @7.5lbs or so. Its seen some 9psi action.
Now I have 72,000 miles on the car, and its been over a year. Oh and stock auto thats been hit with the transbrake about 100 times.

lovebread

Established Member
Been running my paxton for 6000 miles tuned and it hasn't missed a beat DDing every day in traffic. Stock internals and plan on keeping it that way unless something terrible happens.

The only thing you really need to invest in after a blower is suspension/tires if you plan to go big power otherwise have fun destroying tires.

Angry50

Established Member
since this is brought up i though i would ask a question i was thinking of today. is what the motor can take based on HP? or stress on the motor? it seems with a turbo youre stressing the motor less so its "safer". So you ran 10psi with a paxton would it be safe to run 10psi with a turbo? or is it based on HP. so with a turbo you might only do 8 psi to hit 600whp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread