The HARD TRUTH about EVs

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
It looks like we will be "introducing democracy" to Zimbabwe in 3....2....1....

Chinese companies that have made multimillion-dollar acquisitions in Zimbabwe will have to build lithium processing plants after the southern African nation banned the export of the metal in its raw form.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I lost some brain cells listening to her. It's easy to regurgitate what you "Think" makes sense, but have no proof or fact behind it. The general population can easily be manipulated and it has been proven over and over again.

Fact, it takes more CO2 to build an EV over an ICE vehicle.
Fact, an EV does not produce any emissions after it's built. (driving)
Fact and ICE vehicle does keep producing emissions after it's built. (driving)
Fact, the total CO2 does become less after a certain number of miles for the EV depending on the size of the battery.

It's a hard pill to swallow for us gearheads, but hard to beat real facts.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
As long as you exclude the majority of EVs that are powered by coal and nat gas power plants.

CA c02 emissions are actually going up with the adoption of EVs.
Even taking that into consideration, it's less not more. The mining of fossil fuels, refining, pumping, diving in Semi's to gas stations, etc... is still more CO2 produced. Sad but true.

I'll still keep my 8.4L Big Block 6 speed Viper though. LOL

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The mining of fossil fuels, refining, pumping, diving in Semi's to gas stations, etc... is still more CO2 produced

You just described EV production. How do you think lithium is extracted? It is mined, refined, and transported by diesel powered equipment.

But keeping it specifically about emissions per mile driven, ICE in fact produces less co2 than EVs in most power markets. Blended gasoline in fact produces little c02. The same cannot be said for coal fired EVs.

But the whole debate is a total distraction. It is China and India industry that is responsible for global co2. The US has drastically cut c02 per capita since the 90s. Whether you drive an EV or not is totally irrelevant, nor should c02 be a consideration in US industrial policy.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I lost some brain cells listening to her. It's easy to regurgitate what you "Think" makes sense, but have no proof or fact behind it. The general population can easily be manipulated and it has been proven over and over again.

Fact, the total CO2 does become less after a certain number of miles for the EV depending on the size of the battery.

How is this? Longer it runs, the total C02 is mitigated?

What about the lifespan of said electric vehicles? Do you think there will be an electric vehicle on the road 35 years in the future, that was produced today?

To me, it seems, having a automobile for longer periods, are much better for the environment. Keeping your stuff running, and the lifecycle moves along. My 88' D50 has been around the block. But it's a daily that has lasted for 35 years. Talk about impact on materials and the environment. People have been turned into such a consumer society. You used to buy things and take care of them.

What's the overall transportation C02 emissions? Something like 6%-10%. Has nothing to do with the environment. Its about control, knowing where you are going and when. The path to hell, is paved with good intentions.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Uhm, I believe the word you're looking for to describe your opinion is myopic.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
But the whole debate is a total distraction. It is China and India industry that is responsible for global co2. The US has drastically cut c02 per capita since the 90s. Whether you drive an EV or not is totally irrelevant, nor should c02 be a consideration in US industrial policy.
I agree with this. Doesn't matter what we do here, if China and India do nothing we are pissing in the wind.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

What about the lifespan of said electric vehicles? Do you think there will be an electric vehicle on the road 35 years in the future, that was produced today?

To me, it seems, having a automobile for longer periods, are much better for the environment. Keeping your stuff running, and the lifecycle moves along. My 88' D50 has been around the block. But it's a daily that has lasted for 35 years. Talk about impact on materials and the environment. People have been turned into such a consumer society. You used to buy things and take care of them.

What's the overall transportation C02 emissions? Something like 6%-10%. Has nothing to do with the environment. Its about control, knowing where you are going and when. The path to hell, is paved with good intentions.

Last analysis that I saw showed the emissions breakeven for EVs was >100k km.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with this. Doesn't matter what we do here, if China and India do nothing we are pissing in the wind.

EV aDoPtiOn bY tHe Us ReDuCes cO2
World_fossil_carbon_dioxide_emissions_six_top_countries_and_confederations.png

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator

If you want some data, just watch this. If you really have a few minutes to learn, watch the whole thing.

OX1

Established Member
Keeping your stuff running, and the lifecycle moves along.

And not just cars/trucks. All this enviro cultist EV BS I have to listen to constantly, but my last house I had ONE fridge for the 20 years I was there (left it, probably still running). On my 3rd fridge in 11 years already in the new house.

Multiply that by EVERYTHING, since pretty much every corporation would have rather had near term increased profits, at the expense of product reliability, when many times those products used to last you a lifetime (still have working electric drills from my grandfather).

I'd say 3-5% of the products I get these days are damaged or broken right out of the gate. What is the enviro impact on just the USA, with 350 million (plus 20 million illegals more in the past 2 years) people having to return ****CRAP*****, CONSTANTLY......

Coosawjack

Established Member
Hey OX1.......

I learned something about modern "Puter Controlled" refrigerators when ours quit about 4 years back.......called small appliance guy and he enlightened me that most failures are defrost cycle failures!!:unsure: The damn Puter hangs up and simply needs a REBOOT........unplug 5 minutes plug it back in and TADA......fixed.....SOB!!:oops::rolleyes:

Four years plus later and still doing fine!!(y)(y)

OX1

Established Member
If you want some data, just watch this. If you really have a few minutes to learn, watch the whole thing.

Completely ignores the electronics in an older car vs newer. The more there is the more has to be fixed. Means more parts required, shops open to diagnose ghost in the machine type crap that can takes weeks to find many times (and sometimes NEVER be fixed).

How "disposable" are cars going to become when their self driving systems don't act right. I can barely get dealers to fix my cars when it rolls in with an obvious problem (3 plastic oil pans on my Fusion until they got one that does not leak).

You will get "can't reproduce the concern" for that self driving crap pretty much every time you bring it in. Many will ditch the car for a new one (or lemon law it) instead of the hassle to find out what is wrong (if they even can).

OX1

Established Member
Hey OX1.......

I learned something about modern "Puter Controlled" refrigerators when ours quit about 4 years back.......called small appliance guy and he enlightened me that most failures are defrost cycle failures!!:unsure: The damn Puter hangs up and simply needs a REBOOT........unplug 5 minutes plug it back in and TADA......fixed.....SOB!!:oops::rolleyes:

Four years plus later and still \doing fine!!(y)(y)

My first one, the entire inside pan of the freezer cracked, top to bottom. It was under extended warantee, so got my money back to buy a new one, but that one was not being fixed by unplugging, (LOL).

When I first got to this new house, 11 years ago. The washing machine sounded like it was going to explode. I bought a new washer, figuring when that old one craps out, will have the new one ready to go. Old one is still running, loudest appliance I have ever owned (bangs like a shot going off between cycles), but now 21 years old, still going.

a couple years back, I decided to try the new one. Put it outside, hooked up hose. Guess what, computer fried. Could not get trouble codes, so had a service guy come out. He said computer was $400+ and the machine wasn't much more than that new (probably is now, after Bidens inflation).

Anyway, will keep in mind about the fridge thing, but my "new" washing machine was unplugged and plugged back in 20 times, didn't help that guy.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
The best thing we could do is require cars to have a longer life of usability, such as 500k miles or longer without rusting out.

This could be done through tax incentives to the businesses for having a specific % of registered vehicles remaining on the road and tax incentives to people to buy fewer new cars and use up the old.

Tough sell, but making cars last significantly longer would be the best case scenario for minimizing energy spent and waste on creating new cars. The semi-free market has gotten us pretty far. Let it find the right balance between energy prices, lifetime costs, and replacement frequency.

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Even taking that into consideration, it's less not more. The mining of fossil fuels, refining, pumping, diving in Semi's to gas stations, etc... is still more CO2 produced. Sad but true.

I'll still keep my 8.4L Big Block 6 speed Viper though. LOL

False. When the department of energy was tasked with figuring out the real world mileage of a Nissan leaf it calculated average power plant efficiency and transmission loses to get the energy to the EV. The end result was that it got the same mileage as a Chevy Malibu. Since that did not exactly bolster the EV case, they used the EPA methodology: assume energy is converted at 100% efficiency and transmitted at 100% efficiency.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Tob