The good, the bad, and the ugly news about my cobra

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
We'll start in chronological order. As i was driving home a police officer pulls up behind me follows me through town for about a mile or so, as we pull up to a red light, he changes lanes, rolls down his window and proceeds to give me props on how good the cobra sounds (flowmaster with o/r x). :beer:

Now to the bad. Less than a mile after this happened, I pull into my neighborhood, there's a somewhat steep hill you have to go up so i shift into first gear and roll through it just fine, but suddenly i start hearing a thud thud thud thud thud every time i get on the gas. So I pull over just outside my drive way.

And to the ugly, there's smoke coming from the back of my car. Pretty much from the gear case, I can start the car fine, put it into any gear and take my foot off the clutch, and it will idle fine. Now I'm stuck outside my driveway with a car that refuses to move. :nonono:

Last edited:

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
i was able to do that in my cobra shift all 5 without the car stalling...i broke the input shaft in my trans..i doubt thats what happened to yours but you never know

F8L BYT

Established Member
How are you guys thinking it's the transmission? It definitely sounds like the rear end to me especially with him talking about the smoke. Sounds like something broke back there

CJK440

Established Member
How are you guys thinking it's the transmission? It definitely sounds like the rear end to me especially with him talking about the smoke. Sounds like something broke back there

Yeah,

Get the rear up on stands and test it again eyeballing for driveshaft movement.

DOHCavanti

Established Member
You might be better off thinking that you busted your rear. Have someone look under the car while you have it gear, if the driveshaft is turning, it's the rear, if it isn't turning, then it's the transmission.

Either way, be careful.

Users who are viewing this thread