the drama STOPS HERE

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
"the drama stops here"

Last wednesday night I called James at RWTD and got him to fly in friday to come tune my car at Sound Performance on saturday at 1030 as saturday was my off day for baseball.

Thursday night, my schedule changes and I call james imediately and tell him we will be dynoing sunday morning so he changes his flight right away.

Friday, Paolo makes some videos driving the car around trying to waste gas.

Saturday, I go to baseball and as soon as its over (1pm), I jump in my lexus and head 6 hours home with my girlfriend. When I get home at about 7pm, I head over to CPE and he wouldnt let me get in the car. He makes me watch some badass video they have of the car so I could get off to that before actually blowing my load on the car itself, lol.

We know that there is 3 month old gas in the car and there is more than a 1-2 tank still in it and James is coming Sunday morning so we are driving the turbo cobra around in the POURING rain... we have video of the car on the street in the rain, with no alignment, etc etc.

The car is out saturday night and all of a sudden the car shuts off and wont restart for a while. We are like WTF. It was so dark and noone had a light so we thought the motor went somehow. I was PISSED. After the cops are called on us at 1130pm because the neigborhood we broke down in thought we were acting suspicious, we tried to fire the car again... it turned over. I thought it just overheated so AAA came and got the car on the flatbed. They towed the car straight to Sound Performance. I follow the tow there and get it off the tow truck and head home at 3am, finally in bed at 4am.

Sunday I get up at 7am, head to the bank then to sound performance. We pop the hood and WTF, the water pump pulley is almost completely off the car. Since the car was moved from one shop to the other many times, it seemes SOMEONE, noone can be blamed, forgot to tighten it all the way down. This was the cause of the previous nights disaster so we were happy it was nothing major. My girlfriend and I head to lowes and pick up some bolts and bolt the thing on, put the belt on and the car fired right up.

We pull it on the dyno and James went to change the plugs. They were hand tight as he said and the BR7's were the wrong kind so he threw the TR6's back in after properly sizing them. Then paolo cecked the oil and it was 1.5-2 qts low (we have oil breathers on the car so we thought it was just a little low, nothing to be concerned about).

Right before James starts his tuning I get a phone call from my mother. My grandpa went into the hospital with shortness of breath and this and that. He was transported to RUSH hospital I believe it was to have open heart surgery as 2 arteries or whatever were 99.9% clogged and he had a slim chance of living. I said I would come to the hospital after we got done to see him and wait to see what happened.

So then James started our tuning. We were on a mustang dyno and james is used to a dynojet. The MD does not have the start/brake button that the dynojet has and also the wideband is located out of the car, not in it. We hooked up the other wideband, an lm1 to the car also so we had 2 widebands, one inside and one outside.

To make a longer story short, James does his thing. He starts with drivability and is doing just fine and Larry at Sound Performance kind of hint that its time to hurry up. We did feel rushed no doubt as sound performance and their crew had to leave for world of wheels car show that afternoon. That prompted james to start the WOT tuning. The very first pull at 11 psi it made over 500rwhp. Then he started working with timing and a/f. We eventually made 563rwhp on 12psi with 600rpms left to pull but that’s all the time we had to make any numbers. James agreed that the tuning was not complete and he would come back the following weekend and finish. We shot the shit for a while and he gave us some GREAT gum, lol.

It was around 3pm and James had to leave to get to his flight at 5pm and I had to get back to Evansville for baseball on Monday. I had no time to go see my grandpa who just had open heart surgery still without any confirmation if he was dead or alive..

So I talked with paolo and agreed that he would come by tomorrow and pick up the car, drive straight home and not get into boost.

I leave for Evansville with my girlfriend at about 4pm, get back around 10 and post up the dyno numbers and whatnot. I get to bed around 1am

Monday morning comes around, I get up at 5am for baseball weights at 6am. That got over around 730, I had class from 8-12. In between class I call paolo and he told me he got the car and went to run an errond with it. He told me he got into boost in second gear one time, went to the place he needed to go, got back in, fired up the car and then started driving. On the highway, not in boost, the car blew white smoke and got really hot so he pulled over and called AAA again.

The car was taken to the shop where a compression test was administered and a few cylinders had 40 or whatever compression, none.

From that point, we talked with James and tried to figure out what the hell happened. We went over all possible scenarios and couldn’t figure out why it let go. We figured that it started the night before when the car overheated and then the wot on the dyno weakened it more, then paolo’s wot blast hurt it more and then it finally let go but we didn’t know 100% what happened.

This is the point where people start posting that my motor might be hurt etc. The reason why no post was made is not to lie, it was to protect CPE because people would think that the motor blew because of the turbo kit which is 100% NOT true. We didn’t post because we still had no cause for what or why it happened.

Then Eric Brooks and I get into it, I got hot headed and get banned from modfords. I simply lost my cool. Also later that day, I dislocated my throwing shoulder at practice but good news I got was my grandpa is fine and on his way home. So that calmed me down a bit.

Then we get to today, I check modfords and there are a lot of people sticking up for me because they know me and many people who don’t know me bashing me. Jon Lund has done nothing but help me out and to see him talk about me the way he did really hurt me.
I talked with him on aol aim for a long time and told him to ask me anything. He asked my age, where I grew up, where I went to school, which companies I work for, past experiences with my car, why I used so many different tuners, etc etc. He finally came around to see me and not the portrayed internet image of me.

We then talked over what happened with my car and how this all happened.
To make another long story short, here is what we came up with….

The water pump pulley had little to do with the motor going.
It is noones fault for this happening as there were too many things that went wrong.

Here is what happened.

The car had 2 widebands. LM1 and SP’s MD wb. The SP wb was outside of the car so we put the LM1 inside the car to make sure it was safe under wot. I was in the car and never saw the wb get over 12.2 at any time under wot.
The dyno print out after the last pull read as high as 13.9 in the upper rpm’s.

So simply what happen here was the equiptment we used to tune was faulty. We only made 3 WOT passes I believe and the last one we upped the boost 1lb to make a decent number.

It was a culmination of a lean condition we couldn’t see, and then Paolo doing a short second gear hit which lasted a second that just got the motor to say, “im done”
The exhaust manifolds insides and the wastegate is totally white, the plugs are all white and the coilpacks, MOTOR mount and plug wires are all melted.

Noone is to blame for this happening, it was just a culmination of little crap that caused it. Next time, we will not rush, we will take the car to James’ location, on his dyno, with his wideband and go from there.

We are pretty positive that its just the pistons/rings that need to be replaced which is no big deal as we talked about swapping the cams out anyway.

So that is where we stand fellas. Like I said before I wanted to apologize to Eric Brooks for the drama as I believed that he was the one who wanted this to come out so bad because he doesn’t like me. I understand we should have talked it over on the phone or privately before it was exposed because at that time, we had no idea what happened to the motor.

For the people on this site or modfords, if you don’t know people personally, please don’t speak badly of them. Ive talked with many people on numerous boards who didn’t think highly of my “internet reputation” but the internet is just that, the internet. Its not the real world and it means nothing. All my “lies” were not blatent. For example, at MD when we posted the car made 800rwhp. I posted that before the car even made 700rwhp. The car made 660rwhp and the n20 was never used. I figured with the n20 we would easily make 800rwhp. When it made 735 and not 800, I kinda screwed myself and had to cover up. Simple as that. If anyone has a problem with any comments I have made or make, call me personally at 630-768-0761 to discuss. Again, I apologize to modfords and Eric Brooks for the miscommunication, it was a rough week for me and I just lost it.

The drama ends here!

here are the vids from the dyno day..
http://www.putfile.com/10th03cobra

Here are some pics of the car that haven’t been seen yet…
Dynograph.gif

newpics020.jpg

1.jpg

newpics021.jpg

newpics022.jpg

newpics023.jpg

newpics024.jpg

then some misc pics…

my lexus sc300 (soon to have SP67 turbo, built auto, etc etc done by CPE and Sound Performance)
newpics032.jpg

newpics039.jpg

newpics033.jpg

newpics034.jpg

newpicsresized25.jpg

newpicsresized26.jpg

newpicsresized27.jpg

newpicsresized28.jpg

newpicsresized30.jpg

new-pics-resized-29.jpg

my girlfriend and I, and my other toy, the Yamaha blaster..
newpics009.jpg

newpics014.jpg

Last edited:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
EJ, i applaud you for this post as it is very hard to present facts to total strangers where maybe 1 out of 300 actually know you on a somewhat personal level. The situation sucks but i'm sure when everything is back together with a killer tune on it all the people saying stuff about you will also be the ones in awe over your car.
This post is absolutely necessary and although you have nothing to prove, you are put in a position of having to defend yourself by no fault of your own.
take it easy and get the car running how you, paulo, and james know it can/will
give me a call sometime this week
-tony

carolinacat

...LOST
Established Member
Tell Paolo not to feel bad. I made a turbo kit for a for a friend of mine's LS integra. The first outing with it, just after some easy driving checking for leaks and such. On the second WOT test run to check afr and EGT temp the motor let go breaking the back out of the block. The car was running super fat. It was just the motors time. Poor guy never even got to drive his car he just got to ride.

Last edited:

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
good luck with your project dubs... not all of us determine who a guy his from their comments on the internet... many of us know there are two sides to a story.

Erik

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
Man, I'm really sorry to hear that something like that happened due to faulty equip. I know how long you've been waiting for this thing to get finished. Hope everything gets figured out soon, that is one of the coolest set ups I've seen.

mosconiac

Established Member
Eric: You are a pretty "high profile" member of the Terminator community. With that comes a lot of jealousy and rumor. That's just how it is, you can't do anything about that.

Add to it that you wear your heart on your sleeve and you are an easy target for the negative thinkers.

You've always been cool to me and I've seen your generousity. I hope all turns out well for you & your Cobra. Don't let the internet drama get you down.

pb1302

Established Member
Good luck with the build......sounds like I need to DOUBLE check my LM-1.....so far it has been great......

Nice setup with the CPE turbo...... looks SO mean under the hood......

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
:bash: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT DRIVE A CAR WITH YOUR LEVEL OF MODS THAT ISN'T TUNED......EVER.... UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.

I hate to see that much time and effort go to waste. It seems like everytime you build your car up you spend more time troubleshooting and fixing dumb install\assembly mistakes than tuning and working the bugs out of it. Unless they are sponsoring your install, all the crap that has happened to your car is unacceptable. The worst part is that the car has been to 2 shops and still wasn't gone through and completely checked out.

Having 2 widebands is great, and I always try to do that when tuning on a dyno but didn't anyone compare the readings of the 2? That is the point of having 2 of them!

Good luck on getting your situation resolved.

Ashley

Last edited:

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
good luck getting it back together eric....

That is some bad news to hear....can't believe it got burned down like that..glad i only use an afm-1000 to log a/f with...or a motec...there is a good but hard lesson the be learned from using a "less accurate" meter to try to tune a car with.....i wouldn't even leave home to tune any car without my afm-1000. Best of luck with the new setup, hermann :thumbsup:

iboost5o

Banned
uhm... is it just me or did this dude get screwed by incompetent 'tuners?'

Wtf the guy who was supposed to be fixing it/tuning it blows it up and his a-hole boss rushes him through the initial tune?

Correct me if i'm wrong... :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

QWKRN U

1 0f 72 Build #159
Established Member
SVTdubs said:
thanks bro!

the motor is out, just a matter of time now!

Where is My X pipe? I paid in December, they were waiting to get your turbo set up on....
Its been on and I still dont have my Xpipe.Ive been understanding and willing to wait but enough is enough. I need my Money back or the Xpipe....

Ohyeah sorry to hear about your car :shrug:

TRBO VNM

ven2om said:
uhm... is it just me or did this dude get screwed by incompetent 'tuners?'

Wtf the guy who was supposed to be fixing it/tuning it blows it up and his a-hole boss rushes him through the initial tune?

Correct me if i'm wrong... :shrug:

to my knowledge James (RWTD) is the only one that tuned it. The dyno shop owner is who rushed them out, but he was nice enough to let them in to do some tuning on a Sunday. I believe they made like 3 pulls total, Eric can correct me if i am wrong there. I don't know what caused the failure as you have a new kit design and tuner involved, but they are working that out amongst themselves I believe. I am sure whoever they find is at fault will be willing to help Eric out, but only time will tell. really unfortunate that this happened.

Defknotzero

Established Member
Damn eric, im sorry that, that shit happened. Im sure i'll be seeing you when you come back into town. Good Luck

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
qwkrn, scroll down a bit! again sorry for the delay, i know its rediculous, its my bad bigtime

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread