The Complete How To Cut Your Stock Springs Thread

KillerMike

Senior SVT Hall Of Fame
Established Member
I'm doing this job tonight. Again, just for clarification im going to be cutting them from the bottom correct? It will be easy to tell once I get the spring out Im sure as one side is probably smaller. And do you take off the rubber piece from the bottom where you cut and then just put it back on where the spring starts again?

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
I'm doing this job tonight. Again, just for clarification im going to be cutting them from the bottom correct? It will be easy to tell once I get the spring out Im sure as one side is probably smaller. And do you take off the rubber piece from the bottom where you cut and then just put it back on where the spring starts again?
Yes the bottom unless someone put your springs in wrong. Cut the perfectly round coil, not the partially flattened coil. Yep, the rubber iso has a groove for the end to sit in. Just put it back on. Pay attention to where the end of the coil is in the perch before removing the spring so you put it back in the same spot

KillerMike

Senior SVT Hall Of Fame
Established Member
Yes the bottom unless someone put your springs in wrong. Cut the perfectly round coil, not the partially flattened coil. Yep, the rubber iso has a groove for the end to sit in. Just put it back on. Pay attention to where the end of the coil is in the perch before removing the spring so you put it back in the same spot

Awesome, thanks for all the info. Will post pics when its done!

#101MG03

Call me B
Established Member
I am going to be cutting mine in the next week or two. It seems that everyone is using the stock isos in one way or another. Has anyone cut their springs and replaced the isos? I have a new set of MM isos that I bought with intentions of going eibach but decided to just cut them. I am not wanting a huge drop as the car is driven very often and here in central florida the roads arent very smooth(huge understatement). I was thinking about 3/4 coil at all 4 corners with the new isos. From what I have read and the fact every car is gonna be different, I am thinking that will give me between 1.25 -1.5 inch drop? any input would be great and if anyone has pics with cut springs and new isos that would be awesome.

Last edited:

Hostlntent

Established Member
Gotta admit, initially I was a bit hesitant bout doing this but after seeing so many good/happy results; I may give this a shot when I get back from my deployment. After all, cant beat the cost :banana:

01BLOWN2V

Comp O
Established Member
im gonna be doing this install within the next week or so i hope everything goes as smooth as the instructions say. ive never installed springs before but looks pretty basic & im pretty handy with tools. i just dont wanna mess up on a expensive cobra when i didnt even try the install on a GT i had. only one way to find out. BTW nice write up on the springs makes it alot easier, i dont really wanna spend $600 on a shop to install springs for me.

03vertcobra

Top Speed Junkie
Established Member
im gonna be doing this install within the next week or so i hope everything goes as smooth as the instructions say. ive never installed springs before but looks pretty basic & im pretty handy with tools. i just dont wanna mess up on a expensive cobra when i didnt even try the install on a GT i had. only one way to find out. BTW nice write up on the springs makes it alot easier, i dont really wanna spend $600 on a shop to install springs for me.

It's easy, really, it is. Just remember, you will have the stock spring to go back in if you don't like them. :beer:

#101MG03

Call me B
Established Member
Really hope someone can chime in on the new isolator question I asked. Anyone have cut springs with new isos?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I believe that the aftermarket isos add about 1/2'' more to your ride height, but I have no experience with them.

Jefe

Established Member
Ya 1/4" - 1/2" max with new isos. The MM isos are a little thicker

Sheriff41

Established Member
I decided to get the SR performance springs which lower the car 1.5 inches. I have been reading that if i leave the stock struts in they will wear out. Is that true?(my car has 55k miles)

Just adding a data point to the discussion for GTs--I cut the stock springs on my '03 GT convertible a couple years ago after reading this thread. The new edge GTs use linear rate springs also. I cut 3/4" on all four and ended up with about 1 1/4" drop front and rear using the stock isos. I replaced the struts/shocks with Bilsteins and the ride quality/handling are perfect. I did add MM CC plates at the same time. I've put about 13,000 miles on this suspension and have no complaints

#101MG03

Call me B
Established Member
Ok, so I start by letting everyone know that I am a idiot! I did everything right and all went smooth and quickly, until 45 mins after I was done I was thinking about it. I cut the front springs on the bottom BUT I put them in upside down! A friend showed up as I was putting them back in and we started conversating and I just wasnt paying attention. The drop looks correct and it rides fine, does anyone know how this will affect the car? I do plan to flip them but do I have a day or two or is a huge safety issue? Please everyone get your laughs in and then let me know if you have done this or know anyone who has.

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
The springs are linear so they are the same throughout. It may not be sitting right is all. Dont take any turns too fast or it may change on you and drop or raise the car a bit haha

03Snakeb1te

Banned
Damn JEFE im stock on the rears ive been on this for an hour and havent even started on the fronts.. Can u help me out lol im lost i did everything already and the fu&$& spring still wont come out ..

#101MG03

Call me B
Established Member
You don't have it low enough then, IRS bolts out, brake lines off of frame and the IRS should fall pretty far after u lower the diff

Jefe

Established Member
Damn JEFE im stock on the rears ive been on this for an hour and havent even started on the fronts.. Can u help me out lol im lost i did everything already and the fu&$& spring still wont come out ..
If the springs dont have enough room to come out then the upper mounts are stuck in the bracketry. Carefully pry them apart(big screw driver or pry bar). Dont bend the bracket too far open because you need the bolt to go back in there and close up nicely when youre done. Keep a jack under the diff or under the rubber pad about 1-2" because the IRS will fall right onto it. Go back and forth on each side making sure there is room in front and back of the upper mount between the bracket its in. Once it drops the springs will literally fall out. Keep an arm or someone on the jack so the diff doesnt drop too far

Take some pictures and post them if the above doesnt help. Make sure the brake line is not still screwed onto the perch too as that will hold it up

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Pry where the red arrows are pointing in front and behind the upper subframe mount. But be sure to have a jack within 2" of the diff or rubber block to catch it because it will drop quickly. Make sure your jack stands are as extended as mine too. The ass of the car needs to be up high enough for the IRS to drop enough

IMG2_1667.jpg

03Snakeb1te

Banned
I dodntn know how to post pics.. Im pretty much srcrewed i give up evrything u pointing out ive done and the thing still wont come out.. Thanks for the help

Jefe

Established Member
No quitting!

Are your exhaust tips still in the rubber hangers? Thats probably whats holding it up. Jack the IRS back up a little and get the tips out the rubber hangers

To post pics, register a free account on Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing | Photobucket. Upload the pics there and then once youre in your photobucker album you can click on your picture get options like Direct Link, HTML code, IMG code, etc. Copy the IMG code and paste it here

You can see in my pic how little the IRS needs to drop to get the springs out. Its maybe 6". Dont pay attention to the rotors and brakes off. I was replacing those at the same time

Last edited:

#101MG03

Call me B
Established Member
I flipped my front springs yesterday after I put them on upside down. And it did not drop anymore, thinking about putting the stock isos back on the front and leaving the MM isos on the back. I cut 7/8 of a coil off all 4 and it sits completely level. The front only dropped 1 inch with the MM isos, the rear about 1.5 inch with the MM isos.

Users who are viewing this thread