The church bell chimed 'till it rang twenty-nine times

EB85

Established Member
2015 marks the 40th anniversary of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald and the loss of all 29 crew members on Lake Superior. Gordon Lightfoot wrote and sang a haunting song shortly after She went down. Over the years there has been multiple theories as to what brought it down but they remain just that, a theory. For anyone interested in hearing the song or reading the story including Her last voyage, check it out here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald

[video=youtube;9vST6hVRj2A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A[/video]

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The song is definitely haunting and tells the story well.

Do you have an interest in maritime wrecks? Being from Wisconsin we were taught about the wreck in grade school.

What I find bizarre is that Gordon Lightfoot performed at the Bradley Center (where the Bucks play) 5 or 6 years ago and my folks went. He didn't even sing this song in his set.

Blown 89

Established Member
Huh, I never paid attention to the words of that song. Thanks for posting that.

EB85

Established Member
The song is definitely haunting and tells the story well.

Do you have an interest in maritime wrecks? Being from Wisconsin we were taught about the wreck in grade school.

What I find bizarre is that Gordon Lightfoot performed at the Bradley Center (where the Bucks play) 5 or 6 years ago and my folks went. He didn't even sing this song in his set.

I, honestly, never would have known about the Fitzgerald or Gordon Lightfoot for that matter if it wasn't for my old man. He grew up when Lightfoot was popular and he decided to bring it to me. Now it's funny because I always point out today being the anniversary to him.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I picked up GL from my parents also. I still listen to him quite often, I've got a couple of his albums on my phone.

May93

Established Member
I was just listening to this same song on you-tube a few hours ago?

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Back in '75 I was working at Ginger's Texaco when my buddy came in and said his Uncle was on that ship.

Gordon Lightfoot - One of the better Canadian exports.

U.M.

Saw Gord in concert about 1980. He sang "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" among others, but he slurred all the lyrics of every song together. One of the worst concerts I've ever been to.

ssssnake

Established Member
I've listened to this song for years, and the thing that always amazed me is that a lake can be that deep. I've never seen the Great Lakes, and it blows my mind that a tanker could sail in them.

EB85

Established Member
First time I've ever listened to the song. Thanks for sharing.

Take it some of his other music, too. He's a great story teller. Listen to this and hear the lyrics then jump on Wiki and see what it's actually about.
[video=youtube;s8rR7E6NfY4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8rR7E6NfY4[/video]

blk00gtvert

Established Member
my dad was a chef for interlake steamship company for 35 years. he was friends with over have the crew on that ship. he was supposed to quit and go work on the edmund two weeks before the storm but changed his mine. scary stuff

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Huh, I never paid attention to the words of that song. Thanks for posting that.

Nor did I. I certainly remember the song well, but it's one of those songs that I enjoyed without knowing many of the words. Listening to it again, with the words displayed, made it really meaningful and very, very haunting. A very fitting tribute to those lost and brave sailors.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
Havent heard that song in years, again I am also one of the ones that never really payed attention to the meaning. Great song and a wonderful tribute

Users who are viewing this thread