The chirp I am hearing is the TOB right?

K-Dubb

Established Member
I have started to hear a chirp when the clutch pedal is not pushed in. From reading in these forums, I understand that this is the throwout bearing. I assume I should get the HD FRPP TOB to replace it with?

I am no mechanic, so I will be paying to have this replaced. Do I take it to Ford, or should I trust someone else to do it? The car has 17k miles on it. It also has the antivenom mod, and clutch cable adjustment mod. What do I need to tell the mechanic to do to make sure the TOB is not spinning when it is not supposed to be? Will Ford know to check this? How much does this usually cost?

Jefe

Established Member
My TOB chirping:

[ame=http://vimeo.com/7871883]Weird Noise on Vimeo[/ame]

If it only occurs when the clutch is not engaged and goes away the second you pull up on the clutch or push down on it a bit, its the TOB. Ford wanted over $500 to swap mine out. Had a buddy of mine help out and it only took about 4 hours with a lunch break. I would see if someone on here wouldnt mind helping you out. Good learning process and much much cheaper

Change out the guide tube as well with this:

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=111cPath=110_103_122

Use the stock Ford TOB. You dont have the quick release quadrant? My thread on this:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/656426-those-have-replaced-tob.html

Last edited:

K-Dubb

Established Member
Wow that is a lot louder than mine. Maybe mine just isn't very far along yet? You have to really listen to hear mine.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Yup, mine is starting to go out. Going with a new Ford FRPP Flywheel and Spec Stage 2+ very soon.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Damn i have the same problem, but yours does sound worse. i thought it was the idler or belt, it really does sound like a bird chirping, I know my days are numbered until a clutch/tob change, but your my man sounds pretty damn bad. But on the other hand your car sounds good and looks mean as hell. :rockon:

Jefe

Established Member
My 2nd TOB has been chirping for about 3 months. Just dont abuse it and it should last a while. Pulling up on the bottom of the pedal and pushing it in a few times seems to get mine to stop.

K-Dubb

Established Member
Sucky thing is that I think my clutch is still fine. I would hate to have to change this thing, and not change the clutch...

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
I feel your pain, but I been on here too long, not too know our tobs suck.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I drove mine with a shitty TOB for about 4 months untill it got to annoying. That and my tranny was having issues so I had it all replaced at once, tranny rebuilt, TOB/Sleeve, and clutch. A week later TOB went out again, broke into like 4 pieces. Come to find out the shop put in the shitty TOB that came with the clutch and not the Ford Racing one I had given them. Needless to say they swapped um for free.

Users who are viewing this thread