The catalytic converter thieves have become BOLDER!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So over the past year, thugs/thieves from surrounding local cities have been stealing catalytic converters at night here in town, usually between midnight and 3AM. They're hard to catch in the act because they can cut the converters off in 5-10 minutes. And, it's been at times when the majority of residents are sleeping. They've also been breaking into cars in town at night, again, usually after midnight. Now, they've been emboldened to do it in broad daylight. Today, for example, they hit two school parking lots, a teacher parking lot, and a couple of commuter lots in town. They even targeted cars parked on the street. In broad daylight! With the steep rise of crime that we've seen over the past months primarily in urban areas or towns near urban areas, thieves no longer hide their acts. Zero fear of getting caught and arrested. These bold, broad daylight criminal acts are going to soon enough cause confrontations with, in this case, owners of the targeted vehicles. Just a matter of time.

Anyone else noticing a similar broad daylight crime trend?

bglf83

Established Member
It’s been bad here for 2 years. The guy I listen to on the radio in the morning had his stolen off his truck in a parking garage.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s happening around me too. All the inner city trash comes out to the suburbs. I don’t think there’s any coincidence this is happening more and more in democratic areas.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
What’s the going rate on these anymore? Back when I scrapped, You’d get $30’ish for a small intact cat.

For reference I got $120 for a factory new edge mid pipe (4 small cats).

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Scumbag thieves.

I saw a video on Youtube where a thief got stuck under the car when the jacks came out under him. Unfortunately he survived. Fire department had to come and rescue him.
I wish this would happen more often. Maybe they would learn their lesson.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Only way to stop it is pass laws so that scrap dealers can't accept them.

No Demand will cause the supply to stop as well.

You damn well know it's scumbag scrappers that are handing over cash to guys coming in with 50 fresh cut cats, no questions asked.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Pretty common postings on the Ring app in our area. Someone even got video of one of these guys under a Tacoma at the Park-and-Ride down the street. Just glad everything I own is always parked behind a 6' gate.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Montgomery Alabama is seeing an increase in their crime rate, but it hasn't really migrated out to the smaller surrounding towns where a lot of the workforce lives. Our town has not cut the police force at all, in fact I think it has increased. I'm lucky I live in a community that respects & supports our law enforcement.

I do have a Ring Floodlight cam pointed directly at my cars in the driveway. They better be fast if they are going to get under our cars and cut the convertors off if I'm at home when it occurs. ;)

U.M.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
In Connecticut BOB the theif would just sue the home owner for not having a flat driveway and win! Smfh.

Thats just another reason why Connecticut SUCKS Bob. U just cant escape the BS here no matter what nice town u live in! High crime, high taxes, shitty weather, Shitty traffic, Rude people and liberal faggots running every town and city ruining it with their liberal policies.

And then things like the Police Accountability Bill brought to u by snowflakes running the state (This came after AMERICA'S HERO-Crackhead and Martyr George Floyd) which now makes it ILLEGAL for a Police Officer to pursue someone who has broken onto ur property to steal ur $65k truck! Yea its now ILLEGAL for the Police to pursue ur stolen vehicle!

Can u imagine living in Texas where some POS breaks onto ur property and steals ur $65k truck and drives away and the Police just wave at him as he drives by. The chances of that happening there are ZERO. Here is CT...... 100%.
Scumbag thieves.

I saw a video on Youtube where a thief got stuck under the car when the jacks came out under him. Unfortunately he survived. Fire department had to come and rescue him.
I wish this would happen more often. Maybe they would learn their lesson.

You damn well know it's scumbag scrappers that are handing over cash to guys coming in with 50 fresh cut cats, no questions asked.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would guess that since the undercarriage of my GV-70 is completely covered, it would be a bit of work for anyone to gain access to the catalytic converter. Thieves like an easy target, which is why school buses and trucks are so prone to attack.

robvas

Established Member
What’s the going rate on these anymore? Back when I scrapped, You’d get $30’ish for a small intact cat.

Couple hundred bucks each!
And the worst part is the dealership is going to charge over a thousand bucks to replace it. Plus whatever those asshole damage under your car while they are down there! Electrical, fuel lines, etc

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

definitely depends on the vehicle, there's a guy in the Lightning FB groups paying 5-600 bucks plus shipping.

Florida did pass such laws back when everyone was stealing AC units for copper, it includes catalytic converters.

Basically if you're walk up/on your bike - can't sell
Must have all your ID, finger print etc...
If you're selling AC parts you have to have a bill of sale for the new unit and if you aren't the owner it was sold to have a signed letter authorizing you to sell it.

It's pretty difficult to sell cats if they aren't on a car being scrapped or your a repair shop - we had 4 come through in a scrap metal dumpster and even as a business it was a pain in the ass to sell them.

There are still thefts but not nearly as rampant as other parts of the country. Local heavy truck dealer had them stolen off 2 trucks the other weekend.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
This is happening everywhere. I used to leave my daily driver in the driveway overnight, now everything goes in the garage. One of the commies that I work with had their Prius catalytic converter stolen, you get what you vote for in this case.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
In Connecticut BOB the theif would just sue the home owner for not having a flat driveway and win! Smfh.

Thats just another reason why Connecticut SUCKS Bob. U just cant escape the BS here no matter what nice town u live in! High crime, high taxes, shitty weather, Shitty traffic, Rude people and liberal faggots running every town and city ruining it with their liberal policies.

And then things like the Police Accountability Bill brought to u by snowflakes running the state (This came after AMERICA'S HERO-Crackhead and Martyr George Floyd) which now makes it ILLEGAL for a Police Officer to pursue someone who has broken onto ur property to steal ur $65k truck! Yea its now ILLEGAL for the Police to pursue ur stolen vehicle!

Can u imagine living in Texas where some POS breaks onto ur property and steals ur $65k truck and drives away and the Police just wave at him as he drives by. The chances of that happening there are ZERO. Here is CT...... 100%.

There was a police chase yesterdsy morning in my town in … Texas… of a stolen vehicle ..

Tell me more about the state you don’t live in

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
A couple of people where I work had them stolen overnight in apartment complexes. I wish people could just shoot these scumbags if caught in the act.

Users who are viewing this thread