The Car is Done.. Many THANKS TRBOVNM!!

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
I wanted to give a huge “Thank You” to Jason for all his hard work and patience with my engine repair. :beer: It’s great to have guys around like Jason as well as the entire MACA club you can turn to in your time of need for support. I also want to thank Dustin (Flowgoode), Tim (Tidoh) , and others who helped with my engine R&R, it makes it a lot less tedious when you can get together with friends and enjoy the time as well as work..:banana:

For those of you who are not quite sure what this is all about, refer to the following two threads. The first is the engine tap I had due to the timing chain, the other is the post right after the removal with pics of the bad chain.

Engine Noise \ Tapping Thread:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371128

Post Removal and Pics of Timing Chain Thread:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406809

All in all.. about 4K and 4 weeks later.. The car is up and running great. As I said before.. a HUGE THANK YOU to Jason and everyone else who helped either in person, or online by answering my annoying questions :bash: and throwing in advice :read: where it was needed to get me through.

Below are some pictures of the re-install:
EmptyBay.jpg

GappingPlugs.jpg

EngineInstalled.jpg

InnerPulliesInstalled.jpg

SCBoltedDown.jpg

MoreStuffInstalled.jpg

FinishingTouches.jpg

Last piece of advice I can offer from this, when you install a starter, be sure to TIGHTEN ALL THE NUTS!!!

Much love..

JimmyG

Last edited:

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
Note to self... when having a bunch of nuts working on your car, remember to tighten starter nuts.

You know- that is one of the main reasons that I know that I like the whole car hobby thing- getting to spend some quality time hanging out with some buds. I have to agree with you- though you certainly are aware of the task at hand, it makes it so much less like work when the many hands are making the "work" so much easier.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Congrats Jimmy! Good to have you back...

I have to say, I'm still a little bit :eek: since I saw your engine come out. I NEVER want to go through that with mine. I'll be babying my Cobra a lot more now.

And before anyone gets the idea that I know what I'm doing with a wrench - my contribution to this effort was strictly "comic relief"!

TRBO VNM

jimmy,

it was a pleasure to help you out. you made it go by a lot faster with your sarcasim and oh so witty jokes. :lol:

yeah, on that starter nut...that is why I asked, "you are using an extension to tighten that thing". as long as it is done and working, that is what matters.

TGS2

Dr.Gonzo
Established Member
Tidoh said:
Congrats Jimmy! Good to have you back...

I have to say, I'm still a little bit :eek: since I saw your engine come out. I NEVER want to go through that with mine. I'll be babying my Cobra a lot more now.
And before anyone gets the idea that I know what I'm doing with a wrench - my contribution to this effort was strictly "comic relief"!

My thoughts exactly.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Congrats on gettin the car back together :beer:

AngelOreo said:
Last piece of advice I can offer from this, when you install a starter, be sure to TIGHTEN ALL THE NUTS!!!

Ha, my starter only has 2 bolts in it since my longtube install. I believe the longtubes being wedged against it are holding it in place just fine :kaboom:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Great news Jimmy! Ole TV get's the job done fo sur. What exactly did you end up repairing on the motor?

And are you referring to the TOP alternator bolt???? Oh that one's a bitch! And the irony is that all the clutch R and R's never mention it.....They just say "remove the starter"!

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
Heh.. The starter bolts themselves were fine. We only put two back in.. the bottom and side one. What I am reffering to is the washer and nut that send power to the server solenoid to make it engage the flywheel. I had put that on and thought it was tight. Well when we went to crank the car over for the first time, the start fired up.. but never triggered the solenoid for the flywheel. So it just spun and spun and never really did anything. So naturally Jason, muttering about the hired help, went down and did it right the second time.. and naturally it fired up.

Anywho.. regarding what what done.. well.. the list is basically as follows.. give or take a few misc items:

All New Main Bearings
All New Plasma File Fit Rings
All New Valve Springs
All New Valve Guide
All New Valve Seals
All New Timing Components
1 New Exhaust Valve

and of'course the standard cleaning, honing, resurfacing of everything that goes with a engine rebuild.

All the gaskets used, especially the head gasket, were top notch so that I should be in good shape for at least another 60-75K. I told him I was planning on kicking it up to 17-20 pounds of boost before to long so to build and order all the parts based on that. So that is what he did.

While I was at it.. I put in the LDC cooling mod, new TOB, and Stage 8 locking header bolts. I also ordered the PPRV delete but we did not get to that.. I'll do that when I get back from vacation.

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
Ahh yes. I meant to mention that.. and I will in another post..

ACA Performance in Newark, DE. They really did a nice job on the engine as well as communication with me. They kept me informed of everything that was needed and going on.

TRBO VNM

it is definitely nice having some others around that can turn wrenches. basically instructing what to do and in what order.

we started about 11:30 am and with a break for lunch had fluids in it by 8pm and then went to dinner. just had to put the tranny and midpipe on the next morning and fired right up. we actually started it the night before with open headers and no tranny in the car to just make sure it started...after tightening the alt. nut. :poke:

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
flowgoode said:
Yeah I would of done it for like...$1000 :beer:
Cool! Looks like it's OK to poke fun at "Jimmy's Dirty Termy" now that it's back on the road again! Hated to kick a man when he was down...

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
we actually started it the night before with open headers and no tranny in the car to just make sure it started...after tightening the alt. nut. :poke:

Can you feel the love?

Tidoh said:
Cool! Looks like it's OK to poke fun at "Jimmy's Dirty Termy" now that it's back on the road again! Hated to kick a man when he was down...

Please refer to above comment!!

haha.. no it's actually OK either way.. Cause all of you are going to help me clean it.. right? hey.. wait.. where did everyone go. sheesh.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
If you didn't live some damn far away, I would gladly turn Dirty Jimmy into Pretty Jimmy.

Users who are viewing this thread