The Art of Racing a Camaro in the Rain

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
But how much life did you chew off the tires? CMP is great, but the surface is like a belt sander on the tires.

I get eight track days off the fronts and four-ish on the rears. I have a sweet-heart deal with a local Goodyear dealership and a full set of tires is $1050 out the door. You really can't argue the economics of road racing, economics of running a sub-10 second drag car, or anything remotely competitive. It's about $250 in tires, brakes, gas, etc for 1-2 hours on track. Don't tell my wife. :cool:

Established Member
It was well over a grand a day to run 7s. On a perfect, no break anything day. And I sure as heck couldn't drive it there. I'll take the road course from here on out. Most any road course.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
It was well over a grand a day to run 7s. On a perfect, no break anything day. And I sure as heck couldn't drive it there. I'll take the road course from here on out. Most any road course.
This is why I raced drag bikes. Things rarely explode, and the most common maintenance is tires, clutch, and of course oil changes.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Silverboost

Established Member
Damn how do you get the coupon code? Me and a buddy live in Fort Mill SC and we go to this track as well.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

oldmachguy

Established Member
Re “don’t tell my wife” ... since that rarely ever works ... try, “Hey, cars are way cheaper than houses, and racing is way cheaper than remodeling.”

Of course, depending on circumstances, there could be consequences to defending yourself that way.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Im glad to see a ZL1 actually doing what it’s intended to do instead of collecting dust in a garage.

Carry on my fellow mullet brothern.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Good stuff! I still say the Camaro ZL1 is the best all around fun car on the market today! It can do it all.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
$250 per day? What with a different organization or are you talking about the Turn One Track Days?

SCCA is only $125 with the coupon Tradd25
Events - Track Night in America

Tradd's Photos is a professional photographer that works with the SCCA. You get a freebie photo included with your Track Night in America fee and you can get a whole package of photos for extra.

Contact
Tradd's Photos

Photo Album
2019-08 CMP TN - Tradd Slayton

What is Tradds Photos? Shits getting more expensive down there and it looks like they increased the rate to 250 per day from what it was last year.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks like a lot of fun. But if I had an expensive ZL1 like that I'd be afraid big time to race in the rain, ANY amount of rain. LOL.

blk02edge

Established Member
Looks like a lot of fun. But if I had an expensive ZL1 like that I'd be afraid big time to race in the rain, ANY amount of rain. LOL.
I love the track in a downpour, its almost more fun. Even though I just leave the semi slicks on cuz im stoopid. 360's for days!

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member

With enough track time it isn't that bad. You're always driving at the traction limit, so it's just lower in the wet. The track didn't have standing water on it.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Got any videos of you running down GT350R's? Im having a discussion on M6G about how the ZL1 is superior to the R. Even when the R has stickier michelin cup 2s. You already know this, but the stock tires on the ZL1 are equivalent to Pilot super sports.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Yes....yes I do. ;)

Watch until the end with a GT350R on R888R tires and suspension mods on a tight 2.25 mile road course.

I'd greatly appreciate some subscribers if ya'll enjoy the content. Thanks.

Got any videos of you running down GT350R's? Im having a discussion on M6G about how the ZL1 is superior to the R. Even when the R has stickier michelin cup 2s. You already know this, but the stock tires on the ZL1 are equivalent to Pilot super sports.

Users who are viewing this thread