The 2022 Rivian R1T electric pickup is a game-changing truck.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
You forgot to add EV has the potential to be a lot faster. Look at the Plaid and Nevera. If they were slower I would agree. But we are all interested in fast cars. The optics of a loud muscle car getting gapped by an EV like the Plaid even with passengers in it is not good.

Performance is the reason I am impressed with EV. The Plaid is a huge leap in performance for production vehicles. Check out the interior. There are no knobs. You control the direction of air via a touch screen and it is super cool. Tesla is thinking outside the box. The big three are much less innovative at the moment.

This is one of the reasons Musk is now again the richest (publicized) in the world.

The Plaid is impressive. Hands down acceleration wise there are few cars that can beat it from a dig, granted your opponent is willing to wait the, what is it 10 minutes to enter Plaid mode.
Meanwhile some Zoomer in a clapped out S197 ran back to back 9's with a used blower and boogered together fuel system and uploaded his time slips to IG. And he still got beat by and OG in a turbo'd LS swapped Fox wearing 624's.

If you like it, you like it. Buy one. Tow it to the track with your Rivian.

quad

Established Member
The Plaid is impressive. Hands down acceleration wise there are few cars that can beat it from a dig, granted your opponent is willing to wait the, what is it 10 minutes to enter Plaid mode.
Meanwhile some Zoomer in a clapped out S197 ran back to back 9's with a used blower and boogered together fuel system and uploaded his time slips to IG. And he still got beat by and OG in a turbo'd LS swapped Fox wearing 624's.

They are running 9.2-9.3s 1/4 mile with the Plaid without putting it into the 10 minute mode. Dragtimes managed a 0-60 mph in 2.4s in the rain with their Plaid.

Can you post a link to the guy with the S197 showing his time and mods. Is it gutted? What kind of tires. The Plaid does not require fancy burnouts. It runs consistent 1/4 miles and loses little power as the battery is drained.

Dragtimes again managed a 9.94s 1/4 mile with a 20% state of charge in their Plaid. And 6.36s 1/8 mile. That's impressive. I think it loses about 3% charge with every run. A fully charged Plaid should be able to run over (25) sub 10 second 1/4 mile races before it is time to charge it up again. Question is how would the batteries perform after 5-10 years.

Warm weather also does not affect it as much as ICE cars.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Hey, I'm with you. I'm not a fan of EV over ICE.

My point was intended to be directed at the conversation in this thread, not the actual comparison I made.

I went that far back and used that analogy to show the drastic difference and how people used their horse vs how the horseless carriage was used. I was merely wondering how the common person may have viewed the change in technology back then as we are viewing it today.

I know different times and different scenario, but I was wondering how the conversation might have went back then compared to how it's going in this thread today. I'm NOT advocating EV at all.

Sorry if my post was not clear on my point.

Again, not remotely comparable.

Going from a Horse to a Model-T, most Model-T owners never even had a horse.

Your horse analogy is more akin to Dial Up vs Cable Modem or from a Party Line vs Smart Phone.

Also, nobody "forced" you to go ICE. People still operate horses and mules in peace today. Won't be able to say the same for the ICE in 30 years.

Fat Boss

Established Member
Most Model T's were built well after the "Horseless Carriage" era. The Horseless Carriage era is generally defined as from about 1905 to 1915. A huge majority of those car owners had horses, so the analogy is fair.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Most Model T's were built well after the "Horseless Carriage" era. The Horseless Carriage era is generally defined as from about 1905 to 1915. A huge majority of those car owners had horses, so the analogy is fair.

Again, not really.

No one with a horse and buggy looked on in horror as they where forced to give up owning live stock to save the planet.

If anything they dismissed it as an expensive novelty at first and as the technology progressed and became attainable, quick switched over.

Nobody today is yearning to go back to 5.5" floppy drives and DOS computers for work. No one wishes they could be keeping sales records on pen and paper instead of excel (or actual ERP software).

And again, no one forced you to give up your horse. Selling fodder wasn't made illegal, annual inspections, tax credits, zone restrictions, safety mandates, EPA mandates, DOT Mandates, etc...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Dragtimes again managed a 9.94s 1/4 mile with a 20% state of charge in their Plaid. And 6.36s 1/8 mile. That's impressive. I think it loses about 3% charge with every run. A fully charged Plaid should be able to run over (25) sub 10 second 1/4 mile races before it is time to charge it up again. Question is how would the batteries perform after 5-10 years.

Warm weather also does not affect it as much as ICE cars.
Quad, does the Plaid run consistent times over those 25 or so sub-10 second 1/4 mile runs? Or would performance fall off a bit as the battery nears depletion. Serious question. I don't know much about EV tech.

Fat Boss

Established Member
Quit, Fat Boss. Corbic is never wrong.

Apparently he has conversations about this thread going on in his head that we aren't privy to.

Early horseless carriages were a toy for rich, and you'd better believe the rich had horses in those days. Later horseless carriages were enablers of travel beyond the range of the horse, but again they were the typically owned by well-to-do folks. It wasn't until later when the mass production of automobiles occurred that they were affordable to the working man. Remember, almost everyone was poor in those days. For reference, my dad's pre-assembly line 1910 Model T was just about $1000 (see pic in avatar), but by 1925 you could buy one for about $250.

My dad is a former National President of the Horseless Carriage Club of America, so I've been a student of this discussion for a long, long time.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
How did you feel about the vertical LED headlights?
I barely saw front, but saw the side and the rear as it drove in front of me. I was like holy shit thats a Rivian, im not even sure those cars are out.

Where I work and live there's a lot of E cars driving around like Lucid. There's a ton of car manufacturers around here, probably for R&D and plucking talent from other tech companies.

quad

Established Member
Quad, does the Plaid run consistent times over those 25 or so sub-10 second 1/4 mile runs? Or would performance fall off a bit as the battery nears depletion. Serious question. I don't know much about EV tech.
Bob yes Tesla Plaid can run 25 consistent sub-10s runs on a 1/4 mile track. I don't have personal experience driving them but have watched a few youtube videos and it is clear the car can consistently run 9.2 second 1/4 mile times fully stock for a few runs.

The first 5-10 would be around 9.2-9.25s. After that it might slow down to 9.3-9.5 for another 5-10 runs. The last runs would be slower but all still under 10 seconds. It really seems to be a great performer

A 4th motor for the Plaid + would definitely push the Plaid into the 8 second 1/4 mile club. With full unlocking perhaps it can manage 1600 hp or 400 hp per motor. The four Nevera electric motors manage around 475 hp each per wheel.

Even a 1600 hp Plaid will not beat the Nevera.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

Show me a draggy slip of a Mustang running 9s on street tires on the street. Not a Tesla fan but I have respect since it'll beat 95% of the cars on here in everyday use, drive in rain, snow, drive its self, etc. I don't like EVs but credit where credit is due.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bob yes Tesla Plaid can run 25 consistent sub-10s runs on a 1/4 mile track. I don't have personal experience driving them but have watched a few youtube videos and it is clear the car can consistently run 9.2 second 1/4 mile times fully stock for a few runs.

The first 5-10 would be around 9.2-9.25s. After that it might slow down to 9.3-9.5 for another 5-10 runs. The last runs would be slower but all still under 10 seconds. It really seems to be a great performer

A 4th motor for the Plaid + would definitely push the Plaid into the 8 second 1/4 mile club. With full unlocking perhaps it can manage 1600 hp or 400 hp per motor. The four Nevera electric motors manage around 475 hp each per wheel.

Even a 1600 hp Plaid will not beat the Nevera.
That's impressive and good to know.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Once these things get 800-1000 mile range I am in.

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.
that might be a while but even if they could do 400-500 miles and get 300+ miles on a recharge in the time it takes me to let the dog take a shit and me to sit there and eat my lunch I would seriously consider it.

gofast15

Established Member

Plaid mode is on all the time , no need for any battery warm up . Drag strip mode takes time to warm up . If the car has been driven for a bit , it only takes 2 minutes. If it's cold then around 10 minutes.

Plaid is a turd is standard Plaid mode LOL.
Here is my run from today in standard mode , no drag strip mode , no launch control.

quad

Established Member
Plaid mode is on all the time , no need for any battery warm up . Drag strip mode takes time to warm up . If the car has been driven for a bit , it only takes 2 minutes. If it's cold then around 10 minutes.

Plaid is a turd is standard Plaid mode LOL.
Here is my run from today in standard mode , no drag strip mode , no launch control.
That looks fast! Incredible machine.

Users who are viewing this thread