The 2022 Rivian R1T electric pickup is a game-changing truck.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
rivian-1.jpg

Given the Skateboard design - why is there a hood? Why is this not a Cab-Foward design? Truck is fugly to the max.

Pick Up trucks just keep getting uglier and uglier.

Seems like any kind of hit is gonna total out that truck pretty easy. Who takes responsibility for a shock loaded battery pack? But I suppose the body shops will just make dropping the battery pack to pull the frame back into shape a normal repair.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I like it and I like the size, just not the price. That's where it gets me. Not ready for that big of a payment right now (baby on the way).

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Seems like any kind of hit is gonna total out that truck pretty easy. Who takes responsibility for a shock loaded battery pack? But I suppose the body shops will just make dropping the battery pack to pull the frame back into shape a normal repair.

I suspect any minor to moderate damage will total these out just like teslas…excessive repair costs or inability to get some parts. I remember reading that about Tesla awhile back, may not be such a problem now with more of them on the road, grey market of salvage parts etc.

Last edited:

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
The pics of the silver one reminded me of the car from the cop tv show from back in the 90s, "Viper."

VIPER_TV_Defender_01.jpg

VIPER_TV_Defender_02.jpg

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
It's definitely got some things going for it. Seems like they did well on the powertrain and chassis part of things.

Aside from it being ugly as sin, it also feels like they missed the mark when it comes to size and utility. Small bed, small body, but a relatively large footprint. Kind of like a Tacoma but worse. The touchscreen part, while en vogue with luxury cars like Cadillac, seems like a major blow to practicality.

What will be interesting to see is how the suspension and the battery range fair in real life. Those may be more make or break.

Overall it seems heavily like they squandered the potential of an actual useful electric truck in favor of the "I want something that looks like a truck but not actually use a truck" crowd. Maybe a follow up full size model will make good on it.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I suspect any minor to moderate damage will total these out just like teslas…excessive repair costs or inability to get some parts. I remember reading that about Tesla awhile back, may not be such a problem now with more of them on the road, grey market of salvage parts etc.

My inlaws Tesla got rear ended, $40k+ bill on a $50k Model Y. Still didnt total it and it got repaired.

Took 2-3 months to get it back on the road

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Every time I read posts like this it makes me wonder how people accepted change back in the day?

For example going from a horse and carriage to a horseless buggy.

Can you imagine Grandpa back then?

"There's no way I'm giving up my horse. How can this horseless thing replace my horse? My horse can take me to town AND work my farm/land. It can support and entertain my family. When my carriage breaks my horse can still take me places. F that horseless POS Etc, etc, etc." Lmao.

Where are those horses and buggies today? Besides in the Amish communities lol.

And by the way; I don't want a damn electric vehicle either lmao.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Every time I read posts like this it makes me wonder how people accepted change back in the day?

"There's no way I'm giving up my horse. How can this horseless thing replace my horse? My horse can take me to town AND work my farm/land. It can support and entertain my family. When my carriage breaks my horse can still take me places. F that horseless POS Etc, etc, etc." Lmao.

Huge difference. The ICE was a major improvement over the horse. An EV is not an improvement over ICE.
The car didn't need a stall, nor did it need to be trained. It didn't need daily feeding and bedding even not in use. It could operate for long ranges at speed. It didn't get spooked. You could cover greater distances in dramatically less time. I could go on if you want?

What are the advantages of an EV over the ICE? It's quieter?
It's not more environmentally friendly.
It's not cheaper.
The range is greatly affected by use.
You can't just pour in 65kw in 2 minutes and be on your way if you run out of batteries. And if you do run out, you're screwed.
I could go on if you want?

Imagine your F-150 needs new engine every 7-10 years regardless of mileage.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Huge difference. The ICE was a major improvement over the horse. An EV is not an improvement over ICE.
Hey, I'm with you. I'm not a fan of EV over ICE.

My point was intended to be directed at the conversation in this thread, not the actual comparison I made.

I went that far back and used that analogy to show the drastic difference and how people used their horse vs how the horseless carriage was used. I was merely wondering how the common person may have viewed the change in technology back then as we are viewing it today.

I know different times and different scenario, but I was wondering how the conversation might have went back then compared to how it's going in this thread today. I'm NOT advocating EV at all.

Sorry if my post was not clear on my point.

quad

Established Member

I agree. I like a badass sounding car like everyone else here. My Terminator turns heads everywhere it goes. I revved it once going past an outdoor restaurant and looked back and one of the customers fell off his chair - he was riding on rear legs. Got a good laugh out of that.

What I don't like is knowing my 700 RWHP Cobra stands no chance in a dig or roll race against a Plaid even if it was loaded up with (4) or (5) 200 lbs passengers.

I really hope the in-wheel hub motor aftermarket picks up eventually so we have the option to convert RWD ICE cars into AWD ICE+ELECTRIC. I would have no problem slapping two front 100-150 hp (200-300HP addition) electric motors on the Cobra if it was feasible. It's already been done with FWD cars. Just needs a little more time and work. A battery addition would power the electric motors so not too much is robbed from the ICE motor. Yes the batteries would add weight. That's not holding back the Plaid though.

This would give more ICE cars a chance to perhaps compete with something like a PLAID. Even then maybe not with a manual car unless you can really shift well.

I am also interested to see if Tesla is really serious about the Space X package (compressed air thrusters) for the Roadster and how they'll implement it. Why has this not been done in the aftermarket yet? Tanks too big? How much compressed air would you need to push a 4000 lbs car from a dig and make a difference?

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member
Majority of trucks with frame damage now end up getting new frames due to the high strength materials and inability to repair with out work hardening occurring

frame repairs short of front/rear sections from some manufacturers are a thing of the past.

quad

Established Member
The car didn't need a stall, nor did it need to be trained. It didn't need daily feeding and bedding even not in use. It could operate for long ranges at speed. It didn't get spooked. You could cover greater distances in dramatically less time. I could go on if you want?

What are the advantages of an EV over the ICE? It's quieter?
It's not more environmentally friendly.
It's not cheaper.
The range is greatly affected by use.
You can't just pour in 65kw in 2 minutes and be on your way if you run out of batteries. And if you do run out, you're screwed.
I could go on if you want?

Imagine your F-150 needs new engine every 7-10 years regardless of mileage.
You forgot to add EV has the potential to be a lot faster. Look at the Plaid and Nevera. If they were slower I would agree. But we are all interested in fast cars. The optics of a loud muscle car getting gapped by an EV like the Plaid even with passengers in it is not good.

Performance is the reason I am impressed with EV. The Plaid is a huge leap in performance for production vehicles. Check out the interior. There are no knobs. You control the direction of air via a touch screen and it is super cool. Tesla is thinking outside the box. The big three are much less innovative at the moment.

This is one of the reasons Musk is now again the richest (publicized) in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread