The 2021 Mach 1 Mustang is Here!!! - Full Details Inside

The 2021 Mach 1 Mustang is Here!!! - Full Details Inside

2021_Mach_1_Release_001.jpg
  • 480 horsepower limited-edition Mach 1 sets a new standard of 5.0-liter V8 track-ready performance in the Mustang lineup while celebrating original model’s aggressive aerodynamic and handling enhancements
  • Six-speed manual transmission from Ford Performance and an available 10-speed automatic transmission provides capability on and off the track; available Handling Package delivers even more on-track
  • Exterior styling cues include a new front fascia and grilles for both improved cooling and aerodynamics; low-gloss magnetic and black accents as well as hood and side-body stripes with reflective surfaces celebrate Mach 1 heritage dating back more than five decades
DEARBORN, Mich., June 16, 2020 – After a 17-year hiatus, the all-new Mustang Mach 1 fastback coupe makes its world premiere – becoming the modern pinnacle of style, handling and 5.0-liter V-8 pony car performance.

“Bold styling, great acceleration and speed – Mach 1 says it all,” said Jim Farley, Ford’s chief operating officer. “This is one of those special Mustangs that truly brings a smile to the faces of our owners, enthusiasts and fans – including me – so there’s never been a better time to bring back Mach 1 and have it go global too.”

Ford’s quest for speed began with Henry Ford in 1901 and the company’s roots within aerospace only furthered its desire to deliver quicker, faster and more powerful vehicles. Calling back Chuck Yeager’s feat becoming the first to break the sound barrier – Mach 1 – Ford delivered its original Mach 1 in 1969, setting 295 speed and endurance records in its first model year at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Thanks to its added handling capability, Mach 1 teams earned back-to-back SCCA Manufacturer’s Rally Championships in 1969 and 1970.

Like the original, the all-new Mach 1 bridges the gap between Mustang GT and Shelby® models, delivering V-8 power, unique functional aerodynamic enhancements, competition-capable suspension upgrades and a driver-focused cockpit.

All-New Mach 1 Muscle

The all-new Mustang Mach 1 is set to become the most track-capable 5.0-liter Mustang ever, courtesy of a newly designed front end, plus Ford Performance parts from Mustang Shelby GT350 and Shelby GT500 models and an available Handling Package for greater at-limit handling.

Packing a specially calibrated 5.0-liter V8 engine that has a projected 480 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and 420 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,600 rpm, Mach 1 is a fitting celebration of a nameplate born more than 50 years ago.

Integrated into the Mach 1 engine are revised Shelby GT350 components including the intake manifold, oil filter adapter and engine oil cooler, increasing engine oil cooling capability by 50 percent.

The all-new version leans on decades of Ford Performance learnings, wearing a uniquely crafted front end for aerodynamic efficiency and a host of Ford Performance parts that help celebrate its iconic heritage. Mach 1 comes standard with a Tremec™ 3160 6-speed manual transmission from the Shelby GT350. For the first time, Ford has outfitted the system with rev-matching and the transmission is paired with the GT350 oil cooler system and Mustang GT’s twin-disc clutch and short-throw shifter.

Drivers can also opt for an available 10-speed SelectShift™ automatic transmission with an upgraded torque converter and unique calibration that enables optimizing torque capability, shift character and overall enhanced performance. A second air-to-oil cooler increases cooling capacity by 75 percent.

Recapturing Mach 1 Style

The all-new Mach 1’s grille harkens back to the original with a deep 3-D mesh, shark-nosed section and faux lamp elements. Flanking the fascia are new side grilles below each turn signal lamp. A low-gloss Magnetic pony badge is centered on the grille. Low-gloss magnetic and black accents throughout the vehicle provide a premium look while staying true to Mach 1’s bold, muscular heritage, including low-gloss Magnetic mirror caps and rear spoiler.

New 19-inch x 9.5-inch, and 19-inch x 10-inch five-spoke Tarnished Dark-painted aluminum wheels are a modern version of the classic Magnum 500 style wheels. Handling Package vehicles come standard with unique, wider 19-inch x 10.5-inch front, and 19-inch x 11-inch rear Tarnished Dark-painted aluminum wheels.

The Handling Package – exclusively available with the Tremec™ 3160 6-speed manual transmission – also includes a larger unique higher downforce front splitter, new front wheel lip moldings, and a low-gloss Magnetic swing spoiler with a Gurney flap and rear tire spats from Shelby GT500.

Satin Black side and hood stripes are included with reflective accent stripes in any of three colors: Red, White and Orange (Appearance Package only). Exterior color options include the Mach 1 exclusive Fighter Jet Gray (Appearance Package only), as well as Iconic Silver, Shadow Black, Oxford White, Velocity Blue, Twister Orange, Race Red and Grabber Yellow.

The interior features a unique Dark Spindrift instrument panel with aluminum accents. Ebony seats with an accent stripe hint at Mach 1 heritage in cars equipped with a leather interior. Other interior upgrades include new door sill plates, an updated splash screen on the 12.3-inch all-LCD instrument cluster, a white cue ball shift knob, and engraved badging that displays the vehicle’s unique chassis number.

Mach 1: Built to Perform

The Mach 1 engineering and design teams worked in tandem to develop a front end unique to the Mach 1 persona that also meets the high aerodynamic demands of the engine, transmission and braking systems.

A new two-piece upper grille, lower grille and valance, and new side grilles, all contribute to Mach 1’s signature look and more demanding aero and cooling performance requirements.

A front splitter optimized to the fascia shape improves track performance and provides a more aggressive appearance, while a matched rear spoiler works in concert to create ideal lift balance. Mach 1 features 22 percent more downforce than a Mustang GT with Performance Pack Level 1 and the downforce improvement jumps to approximately 150 percent with the Handling Package.

To enhance track endurance, the team added two side heat exchangers – one to cool engine oil, the other transmission oil – as well as a rear axle cooling system and lower diffuser from Shelby GT500.

A new underbelly pan, the vehicle’s most aerodynamically important upgrade, extends 20 inches further rearward than on a Mustang GT Performance Pack to smooth and increase the airflow under the front of the car. Large underwing features in the belly pan increase downforce, while special belly pan airfoils in the brake cooling ramps improve downforce and assist the brake cooling flow – a first for Mustang.

To improve ride and handling, Mach 1 features the latest MagneRide calibration, a stiffer steering I-shaft, new EPAS calibration, stiffer sway bars and front springs, a brake booster from the Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2, 9.5-inch/10-inch split fitment wheels with Michelin PS4 tires, a rear subframe with stiffer bushings and a rear toe-link from Shelby GT500.

The all-new and limited-edition 2021 Mustang Mach 1 will arrive in U.S. and Canadian Ford dealerships in the spring of 2021.

Horsepower and torque ratings based on premium fuel per SAE J1349® standard.

2021_Mach_1_Release_002.jpg
2021_Mach_1_Release_003.jpg
2021_Mach_1_Release_004.jpg
2021_Mach_1_Release_005.jpg
2021_Mach_1_Release_006.jpg
2021_Mach_1_Release_007.jpg
2021_Mach_1_Release_010.jpg
2021_Mach_1_Release_008.jpg
2021_Mach_1_Release_009.jpg

Ford already makes a Mustang with a Supercharger. It’s call the GT500. They already make a N.A. 5.2 trackstar called the GT350. This car wasn’t intended to be a GT500 or even a GT350. This was intended to replace the Bullitt as something more capable than any GT at a price point low enough it is more obtainable than a Shelby. This new Mach 1 will handily beat the Bullitt it replaces. Don’t get me wrong, A cross plane 5.2 with GT350 heads would’ve been amazing! My guess is price point (and fear of encroaching on a Shelby Exclusive 5.2L displacement) got in the way of that.

Agreed on all points. And I still think it is quite possible that Ford surprises us with an "updated" Hp rating. I've seen manufacturers do this so many times I have lost count. And even if they don't, I still thing Ford did a great job with it.

Everyone wishing they had put a naturally aspirated 5.2 in the Mach 1, I assume you’ve already purchased a GT350 - Ford’s current NA 5.2L car. If you haven’t bought one yet, but are criticizing Ford for not putting that engine in the Mach 1, why?

This car should offer near-GT350 performance and be cheaper.

If you want GT350 performance you will pay Gt350 prices... so just buy a GT350. ‍

If you read earlier posts it’s in reference to following what the New Edge Mach 1 is. The Terminator has a F/I 4V, the GT a 2V, and the Mach 1 is an N/A 4V; in turn this Mach would’ve had a CPC N/A 5.2. If following what the last Mach was compared to the GT and Terminator. Even the current Bullitt followed the passed formula. It’s a better GT. This Mach would have a variation of the top pony engine. Instead it has the Bullitt engine.

Pick your poison.

If you read earlier posts it’s in reference to following what the New Edge Mach 1 is. The Terminator has a F/I 4V, the GT a 2V, and the Mach 1 is an N/A 4V; in turn this Mach would’ve had a CPC N/A 5.2. If following what the last Mach was compared to the GT and Terminator. Even the current Bullitt followed the passed formula. It’s a better GT. This Mach would have a variation of the top pony engine. Instead it has the Bullitt engine.

I agree a 5.2 would’ve been even better than a 5.0, and I see the parallel with the previous Mach 1 having the carryover 01 Cobra Engine and the expectation that this car might have a carryover GT350 engine. But in 03, the Covra moved up to a blower leaving room in between for an NA 4V in the Mach 1. This time when the GT500 arrived there was already a GT350 carrying the 5.2 NA. But if they were going to put a 5.2 in ten Mach 1, then they could have just kept the GT350...right? That would have been cheaper than developing a new car and it would have performed better.

I guess I just appreciate the business condition that Ford is in right now. They are investing heavily in electrification and the F150 is 37% of their overall sales so it will suck up a lot of resources to stay on top and continue to supply the company with much needed cash. The fact that we got a Mach 1 at all makes me happy, and I think they did a great job with the development money they had to spend.

At the risk of contradicting myselF, I would’ve preferred they keep the Gt350 in the lineup Instead of this Mach 1. I would really like if they offered both:)

I agree a 5.2 would’ve been even better than a 5.0, and I see the parallel with the previous Mach 1 having the carryover 01 Cobra Engine and the expectation that this car might have a carryover GT350 engine. But in 03, the Covra moved up to a blower leaving room in between for an NA 4V in the Mach 1. This time when the GT500 arrived there was already a GT350 carrying the 5.2 NA. But if they were going to put a 5.2 in ten Mach 1, then they could have just kept the GT350...right? That would have been cheaper than developing a new car and it would have performed better.

I guess I just appreciate the business condition that Ford is in right now. They are investing heavily in electrification and the F150 is 37% of their overall sales so it will suck up a lot of resources to stay on top and continue to supply the company with much needed cash. The fact that we got a Mach 1 at all makes me happy, and I think they did a great job with the development money they had to spend.

At the risk of contradicting myselF, I would’ve preferred they keep the Gt350 in the lineup Instead of this Mach 1. I would really like if they offered both:)

I think the one thing your not understanding about the 5.2 engine that I have referenced Ford should use in the Mach1 is NOT the GT 350 flat plane crank version. Sure keep that engine unique to the higher rpm track oriented Gt350. The engine application for the Mach 1 should get a n/a version of the standard cross plane crank 5.2 used in the Gt500. Much better for a street driven car and more usable power delivery for probably 90 % of the guys that would be buying one. Stop light to stop light power, to drag strip use, to better longevity. If you read my original post I actually referenced the Ford XS 5.2 Aluminator crate engine that Ford already has developed and sells that would be a perfect fit for the Mach1. I think people would go nuts buying the Mach 1 if Ford just changed to this Aluminator or n/a Gt500longblock engine. The Mach 1 seems great in every other way. But hey what do I know, I just drive a Ford so what does that tell you lol.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I dont think that's really the case, people were looking for more separation between engine options that's all. The mach 1 should of had the necessary engine upgrades to make a certain group of buyers walk right past the current gt option and right into the mach. The current bullitt option isnt really enough(realistically) to justify the cost difference. That and the fact that the gt350 isnt a car for everyone. I dont hate the car but I dont love it either. This is how I would have done it. A 5.2 crossplane crank version with gt350 or gt500 heads, unique cam profiles, revised gt350 intake, 12:1 compression. Either some high compression 3.7 inch bore hypereutectic pistons and 5.933 sinter forged connecting rods. Or better yet give it the aluminator52sx crate minus the cobra jet(maybe). 520-530 hp raise the red line a few hundred rpm and there you go. It sounds expensive but I'm sure they'll find a way.
Everyone wishing they had put a naturally aspirated 5.2 in the Mach 1, I assume you’ve already purchased a GT350 - Ford’s current NA 5.2L car. If you haven’t bought one yet, but are criticizing Ford for not putting that engine in the Mach 1, why?

This car should offer near-GT350 performance and be cheaper.

If you want GT350 performance you will pay Gt350 prices... so just buy a GT350. ‍

Sent from my SM-G960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I dont think that's really the case, people were looking for more separation between engine options that's all. The mach 1 should of had the necessary engine upgrades to make a certain group of buyers walk right past the current gt option and right into the mach. The current bullitt option isnt really enough(realistically) to justify the cost difference. That and the fact that the gt350 isnt a car for everyone. I dont hate the car but I dont love it either. This is how I would have done it. A 5.2 crossplane crank version with gt350 or gt500 heads, unique cam profiles, revised gt350 intake, 12:1 compression. Either some high compression 3.7 inch bore hypereutectic pistons and 5.933 sinter forged connecting rods. Or better yet give it the aluminator52sx crate minus the cobra jet(maybe). 520-530 hp raise the red line a few hundred rpm and there you go. It sounds expensive but I'm sure they'll find a way.

basically this. the flat plane crank benefits seem to be negated given everything else it needs to make the engine run right.
the biggest selling point has actually become the biggest reason why i'd stay away form a 350. weird.

People are complaining about the price all while complaining that it isn’t special enough which would drive the price up even more.

The car is exactly where it needs to be.
The upgrades over a GT
Unique front fascia and grill
GT500 rear bumper.
Tremec 3160
Transmission, engine and rear differential coolers.
GT350 intake, spoiler with Gurney Flap, caster/camber plates and staggered Cup 2 tires.
Special color only offered on the Mach 1.
2 different Wheel options only available on the Mach 1.
Interior finish changes.
Mag ride, ABS and EPAS tuning different.

You guys are fighting over 8 F#% cubic inches. The 18-21 5.0 is 307ci where the 5.2 is 315... you want 525 NA HP and 8,000 RPM? Throw a tune and E85 on the thing and be happy that you saved $8k with Ford not doing the 5.2. admittedly in a different profession 8 extra inches is a lot. In CI on cars not so much.

People are complaining about the price all while complaining that it isn’t special enough which would drive the price up even more.

The car is exactly where it needs to be.
The upgrades over a GT
Unique front fascia and grill
GT500 rear bumper.
Tremec 3160
Transmission, engine and rear differential coolers.
GT350 intake, spoiler with Gurney Flap, caster/camber plates and staggered Cup 2 tires.
Special color only offered on the Mach 1.
2 different Wheel options only available on the Mach 1.
Interior finish changes.
Mag ride, ABS and EPAS tuning different.

You guys are fighting over 8 F#% cubic inches. The 18-21 5.0 is 307ci where the 5.2 is 315... you want 525 NA HP and 8,000 RPM? Throw a tune and E85 on the thing and be happy that you saved $8k with Ford not doing the 5.2. admittedly in a different profession 8 extra inches is a lot. In CI on cars not so much.

For me personally it’s not the extra cubic inches so much as it is about having a better engine than the standard GT. So it has a better intake and throttle body, wooohooo party time right lol. It is more about having a better quality engine than the standard GT. The 5.2 has better block, heads, rods, pistons, etc, etc, etc. If Ford put a quality built n/a engine in the Mach then my attention and wallet would be piqued. No reason that Ford can’t, and no reason that Ford can’t tell the bean counters to pound sand cause we’re going to build what the people want and what they deserve. Ford needs some big changes. They need to get the philosophy of making quality products that people will love and talk about. They are just not doing that in my opinion.

FWIW, a Camaro SS 1LE base is $38K and well equipped for $45K; MSRP for a BMW M3 is $67K; MSRP for a 2020 GT350 starts at $59K. I don't think it is ridiculous to expect Ford to deliver a Mach 1 for $45K (base) and $50K well-equipped. As soon as it starts creeping above $50K you gotta be kidding me because you're in GT350 territory.

The 1SS base price is $38k. With only the 1LE Package the base price is $45k with no other options. Both the 1LE and Mach 1 with the handling pack should be mid-to-low $50’s with leather, navigation, dual zone AC, etc. they will also be very competitive on the track. The GT Performance Pack Level 2 already had equal or better grip than a 1LE, and adding the Mach 1’s new aero and extra power should make the Mach 1 even better.

GT350’s start over $60k, so a fully optioned Mach 1 under $55k is a good spot in the market. (No one knows the actual price yet). Add-in the fact that this isn’t a Ford Performance vehicle so it will be eligible for Plan pricing and Rebates they start to look even sweeter. It’ll be 95% of GT350 performance with a $10k discount.

...just don’t compare it to a used GT350 ;-)

For me personally it’s not the extra cubic inches so much as it is about having a better engine than the standard GT. So it has a better intake and throttle body, wooohooo party time right lol. It is more about having a better quality engine than the standard GT. The 5.2 has better block, heads, rods, pistons, etc, etc, etc. If Ford put a quality built n/a engine in the Mach then my attention and wallet would be piqued. No reason that Ford can’t, and no reason that Ford can’t tell the bean counters to pound sand cause we’re going to build what the people want and what they deserve. Ford needs some big changes. They need to get the philosophy of making quality products that people will love and talk about. They are just not doing that in my opinion.

Well they do make a GT350.... so you can vote with your wallet. If the “better” NA Engine is worth the 5-10k you can pick one of them up or go used and save 20k. Heck I would have liked a 19 Cobra Jet Engine in it and I would pay for it but would be even sweeter if they did it at no cost since that is what the people want. If wishes were fishes we’d all be swimming in riches. Tell the bean counters to scrub off we aren’t trying to run a business here in a industry where one can become bankrupt in less then a year if done wrong.

They will sell every Mach 1 they build. There is a butt for every seat. I dig the car. Looking forward to driving one in the future to give my total opinion of what I really like and dislike of the car. Some won’t like the car and that’s ok. Some will love the car and that’s great. What really matters is people willing to lay down the Uncle Ben’s to own one. Time will tell on that end.

Ford can put a cross plane 5.2 in the Mach 1, But it’s just gonna cost GT350 money. Ford can, and does, offer all of those upgraded parts, they just come with a price:

$40-50k = GT 460 hp, MT-82
$50-60k = Mach 1 480 hp, Tremec, Track cooling, aero, + grip & handling
$60-70k = GT350 +525 hp, +brakes
$75-85k+ = GT500 ++760 hp, +DCT

Bean counter...Corporations are in business to make money. As much as we all want GT500 performance for Mustang GT prices, the company has to make a profit or they won’t continue to be in business. They certainly won’t continue to make Mustangs if they can’t sell them for more than cost. The above tiers of performance offer just about any option you could ask for in a pony car.

Last edited:
That's what people are afraid of.(the whole just buy a gt350 thing again)..... ok dont mind if I do lol. But looking at this seriously, if I were to get a gt350 used gt350s are like low 40s to low 50s right now. Plus they arent making gt350s any more so it's irrelevant in regards to the 2021 lineup anyways.

Ford pulling out a classic name tag again and slapping some stripes and "Mach1" logos on it to help sales.. Who would have thought Mustangs regularly going over $50,000? No longer a car for the average person. After 5 years of the S550 it still hasn't grown on me. The '19 Bullitt was ok...
Can't they come up with some new ideas?... other than an electric SUV Mustang?

The last good affordable mustang that was and still is a beast was my 2004 Terminator. After X-plan and rebates I drove off with a deal for just under $38K.

My 2012 Boss 302 was a good deal and a beast. BTW, $38k in 2004 adjusted for inflation is about $53k today.

Exactly. Top tier for about $10k less than a GT350. In vehicles, it is about $51,600 in today money. But splitting hairs. Then you also need to look at the overall cost of that $38K vs $53K. My interest rate was 1.99%. Now look at what 1.99% is on $51,600. The value is still not where it needs to be for the money. Sure, the S550 is in another league as far as chassis and interior bits. But we aren't talking about technology advancements.

Now Look at the 2004 Mach 1... They could be had for about $29,000 for the Premium with no rebates. That is the apple we should be comparing. That is a $39,500 car now days. Technology is relative as the cost is relatively the same when spread out. What we are paying for is Lemon buybacks, as well as a crazy amount of recalls over the past decade and a half.

Last edited:
Well, without looking it up I think the Mach 1 in 2004 was a 300? HP engine. And the Cobra was 390? Now you're getting 480 in a much better chassis, way safer, and overall a much better driving car.

Well, without looking it up I think the Mach 1 in 2004 was a 300? HP engine. And the Cobra was 390? Now you're getting 480 in a much better chassis, way safer, and overall a much better driving car.

Exactly what I was thinking. You can get a 300 horsepower Mustang for far less than the inflation adjusted prices from 2004. Ignoring all it the “technology” improvements and simply focusing on performance:

03-04 Mach 1:
305hp, 0-60 5.3s, [email protected] For $39k in today’s dollars
2020 Ecoboost premium Perf pack: 332 hp, 0-60 4.9s, 13.4 For $39k

03-04 Cobra:
390 hp, 0-60 4.6s, 12.9@111
$48k in today’s dollars
2020 GT Premium PP1 (6 speed)
460hp, 0-60 4.4S, 12.6@115
$46k

Users who are viewing this thread