The 2018 Mustang is Here - Full Details Inside

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
IMG_9099.PNG
I saw this on Facebook in all the back and forth bickering but it of course holds no credibility lol. Would be nice though

Voltwings

Established Member
Theres no way. There's not 260 lbs in dead weight on the car without a major redesign. Wait for 2020 to get some, if any, weight reduction.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Straight from the Ford website.....The '18 Ecoboost gets more torque "thanks to the transient overboost function, which lifts outputs on every gear change."

Does anyone know if this is the same technology utilized in the Ford Racing power pack tune for the 15-17 models?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Straight from the Ford website.....The '18 Ecoboost gets more torque "thanks to the transient overboost function, which lifts outputs on every gear change."

Is that the same thing as boost-by-gear?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Is that the same thing as boost-by-gear?

No, I believe for short bursts the car will generate more boost than normal at WOT. I don't think it will create the "over boost" depending on engine temp, and what the knock sensors and such are telling the car I believe to prevent detonation.

V8Flexin

Established Member
Seriously. Add magnetic suspension. Add a ten speed. That doesn't equal weight savings.
They can use stronger lighter materials all over the car a shave a significant amount of weight off the car however those materials would push the price up significantly as well. Also the 10 speed trans will likely be adding a single planetary gear set over the 6 speed meaning not much weight added. The point is they can save weight and add features but the car won't come cheap.

Sent from my PURE XL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dusten

Established Member
They can use stronger lighter materials all over the car a shave a significant amount of weight off the car however those materials would push the price up significantly as well. Also the 10 speed trans will likely be adding a single planetary gear set over the 6 speed meaning not much weight added. The point is they can save weight and add features but the car won't come cheap.

Sent from my PURE XL using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Those are not changes generally made mid life cycle. Hence the 2020 revamp

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Those are not changes generally made mid life cycle. Hence the 2020 revamp

I'm actually half expecting the s650 to be just enough of an update to fit a hybrid power train and it will remain a steel chassis.

Dusten

Established Member
I didn't mean they would do it, I meant thats why everyone was referencing the 2020 mustang revamp.

germansheperd

2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
Established Member
I have to say, as a GT350 owner, I'm not to happy about Ford starting to "standardize" the Mustang with tech that previously set the GT350 apart. The main draw for me was lower profile hood, steering, suspension, brakes and more NA power.

Well, if the regular Mustang now has all that, now I have a dash plaque I paid $25,000 for. Not a happy camper.
I'm going to say the 18 10spd GT will be as quick or quicker than a GT350 in the 1/4

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I think the GT is already faster than the Tech and Track Pack GT350s. Just not The R. The R is a noticeable amount faster out of the hole due to gearing. Possibly the minor weight savings too.

I can't remember the official 0-60 (4.2, 4.3, etc.) but the absolute very best I can get mine rolling is a 5 flat with 5.2 being pretty normal. My 2013 with street tires ran 4.6 regularly with a 4.2 as my very best. I'd like to think the 15+ is faster than the 13-14, but I don't have any first hand experience with the current GT.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Marc spazzing out... lol

Surely you are confused. The gt mustang is most definitely not faster than the shelby 350s.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Well, I'm not sure what your experience is, but I've owned three 2013 Mustang GT's and I own a 2016 Mustang GT350. My 2013 Mustangs we're all faster from 0 to 60 that my GT350.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, I'm not sure what your experience is, but I've owned three 2013 Mustang GT's and I own a 2016 Mustang GT350. My 2013 Mustangs we're all faster from 0 to 60 that my GT350.

Stock for stock, I highly doubt a gt is faster 0-60 than a gt350.

Regardless of 0-60, "how fast a car is" is best measured by 1/4 mile and trap speed.

You are talking about the gt being a 12.9 car at 110mph vs a 350 being a 12.5 at 118mph.

The 350 will curb stomp a gt, out in the street, if it doesnt, you did something wrong.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I don't think you are following me... The GT350 Tech and Track are NOT as fast as the GT350R, but a lot of people think the R specs apply to all 3 platforms.

The R has much less rotational mass and the tires are shorter, giving it a gearing advantage compared to the other two.

I am very comfortable that my car not laying down good 0 to 60 times compared to my GTs has little to do with me. I have been driving manual cars and motorcycles for 30+ years and professionally dragged a stick car for more than 3 years cutting 1.7 60 foot times on an NA 2007 S197.

EDIT: I don't race anymore. All I care about is how it runs on the street. 1/4 mile ETs and 0 to 60 times on a car designed for road course seems irrelevant anyway.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think you are following me... The GT350 Tech and Track are NOT as fast as the GT350R, but a lot of people think the R specs apply to all 3 platforms.

The R has much less rotational mass and the tires are shorter, giving it a gearing advantage compared to the other two.

I am very comfortable that my car not laying down good 0 to 60 times compared to my GTs has little to do with me. I have been driving manual cars and motorcycles for 30+ years and professionally dragged a stick car for more than 3 years cutting 1.7 60 foot times on an NA 2007 S197.

EDIT: I don't race anymore. All I care about is how it runs on the street. 1/4 mile ETs and 0 to 60 times on a car designed for road course seems irrelevant anyway.

Im following you perfectly. I was just talking about the regular 350s, not the R. The R is even faster.

Rs are evey bit of 12.2 1/4 mile at 119mph cars vs the 12.4 1/4 at 117-118mph for the regular 350s. They will both put a hurting on a regular ol gt out in the street, no contest.

Users who are viewing this thread